Favorites that you can’t pull off wearing

I think there’s some confusion in this thread about what “matching” means. I consider wearing complimentary colors to be matching. So if you are wearing clothes and shoes that don’t clash you’re essentially matching in my book. If there’s another term to describe wearing clothes and shoes that go well together but don’t necessarily have the same exact colors please let me know what it is. “Goes well together” and “matching” could very well be 2 distinct things but for me I use the terms/phrases interchangeably

no, it's not...color blocking, color harmony ..triadic, split, analogous...isn't matching a red shirt with the red sweater & red jordans, it's not spot on...more of a color blocking & knowing what colors look well with each other... there's a huuuuuuuuuge difference.
no, bruh either something matches or it doesn't; color blocking, complimentary colors, it's all matching bruh.....you may want to use the term clash

I mean you don’t want to match completely where it looks like you’re wearing a uniform. I can’t remember what I was wearing with my Bordeaux 12s but my wife told me I looked like a Backstreet Boy
that's clashing; or in nt terms matchymatchy
and you were never suppose to clash, ever, in any era

giphy.gif

Majority of Jordan’s and recent Nike b-ball shoes. I can appreciate the design and tech knowing I’d never wear them

Matching is overrated
Its funny cause in high fasion circles there is actually such a thing as mismatching on purpose. I remember Don C saying something about it.

I could be wrong, but I guess the idea is, when you mismatch on purpose your expressing the fact that you have a good fashion sense because it takes a good fashion sense to know that your mismatching? A paradox of fashion I guess. It seems very Kany Westy.

Its funny cause in high fasion circles there is actually such a thing as mismatching on purpose. I remember Don C saying something about it.

I could be wrong, but I guess the idea is, when you mismatch on purpose your expressing the fact that you have a good fashion sense because it takes a good fashion sense to know that your mismatching? A paradox of fashion I guess. It seems very Kany Westy.
naw you're right ppl definitely mismatch on purpose; people just confuse the term match with clash; i can't be that bold though; while i don't clash; it's hard for me not to match together complimentary colors on my fit; i can't go stripes and polka-dots

So wait wearing a shirt like this is called clashing?

Attachments

• 56AEA0A5-7BBB-441A-A9D2-1B384A35E25E.jpeg
    56AEA0A5-7BBB-441A-A9D2-1B384A35E25E.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 30
So wait wearing a shirt like this is called clashing?
not to me, it just matches the shoe; but it's frowned upon to wear a shirt that has the exact same color scheme as your shoe; you would be accused of matching
but as for my opinion of why that doesn't necessarily clash is because you can still offset with the your pants/shorts....imo clashing is if you have the yellow/burgundy/gray all in the pants/shorts too

To be clear I don’t think that’s a NT term, that’s a term I personally adopted from my girls Asian mother. However upon googling it, there is actually a Wikipedia for it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchy-Matchy
to be clear; i label it a nt term because i have will never utter the words aloud, or quietly either, i only became familiar with it through nt; so despite its origin i consider it a nt term because it's widely understood on this platform; but in another setting i would use clash because matchy matchy does indeed sound like something an asian mother would say; and would probably require an explanation in my circle.....but no lie i did think it orignated on nt....

not trying to sound condescending (except the to be clear)

Back
Top Bottom