Filipino Culture Thread

Just found out my grandma passed away 2 days ago. My fam didn't bother to tell me. I'm not close to my mom's side of the family and only talked to them a couple times since my mom passed away. I sometimes feel guilty i'm not closer to relatives in the PI but i'm not that close to fam here in NY either.

Just found out my grandma passed away 2 days ago. My fam didn't bother to tell me. I'm not close to my mom's side of the family and only talked to them a couple times since my mom passed away. I sometimes feel guilty i'm not closer to relatives in the PI but i'm not that close to fam here in NY either.

My condolences man...

Sorry bro

My condolences.

Filipino peanut butter though...
IMG_4329-700x700_0.jpg

The Philippines is now considered a newly industrialized country with a GDP rank of 34th worldwide. But per capita is rank 126th. That's crazy inequality right there.

Standard of living is definitely on the rise though, coming back and forth the past 8 years, the thing I've noticed the most is that the average worker is now able to afford a car which has actually worsened the traffic in my hometown like crazy.

My aunt and uncle who's never been in NY are coming to NY for two days next week

Fri and Sat

On Fri my mom's plan is to cook filipino food and for them to stay in

They only have two days in ny. To me, one day eating in at home is one day not going out, seeing the sights and trying other food they've never had before.

They can always have filipino food when they go back home to the Philippines...

Last edited:
Always blows my mind how racist Filipinos are to black people man. :smh:

i know!!! but i find it funny how i always seem to connect with black folks tho. everytime i meet a new one, there's always a cool vibe, whether it's a male/female, someone my age or older.

we just always seem to get each other (as races). i was talking to a young lady at work the other day, and she was like 'what are you? are you filipino? and i was like yeah... and she was like oh so you're like black then...LOL she didn't mean anything by it, she's totally cool, but i think the younger generation of black and filipinos just tend to be cool with one another....

but then again, i work in oakland and used to live here so.... iono...

My aunt and uncle who's never been in NY are coming to NY for two days next week

Fri and Sat

On Fri my mom's plan is to cook filipino food and for them to stay in

They only have two days in ny. To me, one day eating in at home is one day not going out, seeing the sights and trying other food they've never had before.

They can always have filipino food when they go back home to the Philippines...
Valid point.

Always blows my mind how racist Filipinos are to black people man. :smh: And a lot of Filipinos , parents specifically are becoming and supporting Trump :sick:
Yeah, irs crazy. It’s unfortunate that some old school Filipinos support trump because he’s associated with duterte. Kinda ridiculous how folks see duterte AND trump as “sent by god” *mega cringe*

Pops always warned me as a teenager, “You should only date Filipino or white. Nothing else. You bring a black boyfriend home and I will kill you.” Awful. :smh:

My folks weren’t racist like that but I know my lolo was like that :smh:

Thankfully our generation corrects that

I'm thankful that my dad assimilated to US culture when he immigrated here. My mom, she still has a lot of old school tendencies.

i know!!! but i find it funny how i always seem to connect with black folks tho. everytime i meet a new one, there's always a cool vibe, whether it's a male/female, someone my age or older.

we just always seem to get each other (as races). i was talking to a young lady at work the other day, and she was like 'what are you? are you filipino? and i was like yeah... and she was like oh so you're like black then...LOL she didn't mean anything by it, she's totally cool, but i think the younger generation of black and filipinos just tend to be cool with one another....

but then again, i work in oakland and used to live here so.... iono...

Yea growing up in Vallejo and in a predominantly black neighborhood, we connected in more ways than others. I forced the issue with my parents, because they hated when I brought my friends over who were mostly black. Definitely changed my moms opinion because she loved all of them. My pops on the other hand, he worked nights so I guess in his mind he didn't have to deal with it. Problem is my mom just listens to anything my dad says. :smh:

Ahh dude, don't get me started.

Man I always get it started with my pops. I used to look up to him and his work ethic. But really, as I get older we are nothing alike. Our beliefs culturally, politically, etc. He just turned out to be just like every other Filipino thats white-washed and white-worshiping. Colonialism is a crazy thing.

Yeah, irs crazy. It’s unfortunate that some old school Filipinos support trump because he’s associated with duterte. Kinda ridiculous how folks see duterte AND trump as “sent by god” *mega cringe*

Pops always warned me as a teenager, “You should only date Filipino or white. Nothing else. You bring a black boyfriend home and I will kill you.” Awful. :smh:

Yup all my ex's that were black got fully ignored when I took them to my place. The filipina's, whites, and halfs dam did they bend over backwards for them. Cringe is an understatement.

I bring it up because it needs to be a conversation. Over and over again. The fact that me a first generation here takes more pride in my culture and country than my parents :sick:

Seems like a lot of you in here mention your relatives put white people on a pedestal; I feel like that's not the case with my family. They definitely have their prejudices, but it's about as bad for white people as it is for blacks, hispanics, etc.

Back
Top Bottom