Filipino Culture Thread

Why do you say that? I ask because I’ve never tried it and would like to soon. And I got to try that Ube ice cream, the color alone draws me in. Btw, I’m Latino.
alot of our cuisine is based around slow-braised, hearty stews and pretty much everything else is deep fried. think of it as the “soul food of asia.” full of flavor and tasty, but def not healthy.

high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease is real common amongst filipinos due to what we grew up eating.

There’s plenty of healthy Filipino food. I think the most popular dishes are “comfort foods” or drunk food but Filipino cuisine has range if you go beyond the surface

There’s plenty of healthy Filipino food. I think the most popular dishes are “comfort foods” or drunk food but Filipino cuisine has range if you go beyond the surface

I’ll agree that the main dishes are mostly relatively unhealthy but the I get it’s also not like a majority of them have access to avocados or cook grilled chicken breasts and count their daily macros:lol:

Reactions: Ube
Why do you say that? I ask because I’ve never tried it and would like to soon. And I got to try that Ube ice cream, the color alone draws me in. Btw, I’m Latino.
A lot of the dishes are cooked with fish sauce or soy sauce. A lot of dishes uses fatty pork too. Add that to a plate of white rice. That’s will lead to high cholesterol and diabetes. I know first hand because it runs in my family.

A lot of the dishes are cooked with fish sauce or soy sauce. A lot of dishes uses fatty pork too. Add that to a plate of white rice. That’s will lead to high cholesterol and diabetes. I know first hand because it runs in my family.
Bicol express is a good example

Stir fried pork belly, shrimp paste and coconut milk

With rice lol

Bicol express is a good example

Stir fried pork belly, shrimp paste and coconut milk

With rice lol
I make a healthy alternative w chicken thighs. Just gotta minimize the bagoong and utilize ginger and garlic to bring about the aromatics. Coconut milk is awesome but I hate it bc of da amount of saturated fat and lack of protein.

Going back about 30 pages, there was a big Ube ice cream debate.
This is the best Ube ice cream, hands down.
20200617_143752.jpg

Mitchell's Ube > Magnolia.... by a long shot.
yo I’ve heard of this brand of ube ice cream. Aren’t the owner(s) not even Pinoy? I’ve yet to try it but I really want to. I’m taking Magnolia over TJ for commercially available Ube ice cream though.
I like this spot in LA called WanderlustCreamery. They make a Ube Malted Crunch ice cream and it’s :smokin .

I make a healthy alternative w chicken thighs. Just gotta minimize the bagoong and utilize ginger and garlic to bring about the aromatics. Coconut milk is awesome but I hate it bc of da amount of saturated fat and lack of protein.
Yo this sounds legit. you mind sharing the recipe or breaking it down how you cook it?

high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease is real common amongst filipinos due to what we grew up eating.
Lol that's my mom and dad high BP and diabetes.

Yeah like lechon kawali and crispy Pata are gods gift haha but legit heart attacks

yo I’ve heard of this brand of ube ice cream. Aren’t the owner(s) not even Pinoy? I’ve yet to try it but I really want to. I’m taking Magnolia over TJ for commercially available Ube ice cream though.
I like this spot in LA called WanderlustCreamery. They make a Ube Malted Crunch ice cream and it’s :smokin .

Yo this sounds legit. you mind sharing the recipe or breaking it down how you cook it?

I work in Pasadena and never tried this place. I will now. Lol.

Reactions: Ube
Just turned 47 this month. Still buy sneakers on occasion and Supreme.
Dope :nthat:
I just turned 30 and I’m still into shoes as much as I was back in high school. The only difference now though is I’m more selective. I thought for sure I’d be over it by now but nope :lol: .
I work in Pasadena and never tried this place. I will now. Lol.
Shiiit You slacking fam lol. lmk what you think. I found out about them because there used to be a food event on Sundays during summer called SmorgasburgLa. I used to go all the time and this ice cream spot was for sure a must whenever I’d go.

I’ll agree that the main dishes are mostly relatively unhealthy but the I get it’s also not like a majority of them have access to avocados or cook grilled chicken breasts and count their daily macros:lol:
My pops always looks at avocados on tacos funny. He always tells me in the Philippines all we use
avocados for are milk shakes. I guess we even managed to turn avocados into something unhealthy lol.

just watched the new Jokoy Special in PI...and damn, this song with illmind and local peeps is fire...that kid rapping seems kinda special.....proud pinoy right here:

Back
Top Bottom