FINALLY SEEING THE HURT LOCKER

antonlavey

Banned
I WOULDVE BEEN HAPPIER IF AVATAR WON
smh.gif

I think this is one of those movies some will really like and others will hate. I thought it was really good but not one I can watch over and over or a classic by any means.

I actually liked District 9 better than both of them.  Inglourious Basterds was great as well.

Originally Posted by shogun

I actually liked District 9 better than both of them.  Inglourious Basterds was great as well.

Basterds is my fav movie of the year

Hurt Locker winning so many oscars is a travesty. Don't get me wrong, it's not a \bad movie.....it just didnt deserve best pic. Not even close.

I watched for a second time the night before the awards and it just cemented in my mind that it was a really tense but average movie. I couldn't connect to any of the characters at all they all just seemed to be playing really stock characters. Its not that Avatar was any better storywise but I felt that there was a point made to show it up. If they wanted a good story that was also a commercial success Best Picture should've gone to Inglorious Basterds.

I liked The Hurt Locker. I thought it was a really good/intense movie, but like others have said its not a movie you really want to watch over again. Pretty much if you seen it once you are good.

Movie sucked.

Plot was dry. I've seen war movies before, we know what it's like to see it on the screen. So throw some damn depth into the movie.

Dude basically went to work, came home, and started a new rotation. Movie was like a commercial for the Army or something.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I WOULDVE BEEN HAPPIER IF AVATAR WON
smh.gif

QFT. Movie was way over-hyped.
word ... there was a
eek.gif
moment and maybe 1 or 2 other tense moments ...

but hey it was a female director ... i guess that was enough
tired.gif

hurt locker was not that great. its a shame that THIS "war movie" won an oscar for best picture, but Saving Private Ryan got left out in the cold. i think the underlying theme, that a lot of these young veterans are "damaged" ... is a good angle. but i thought the movie itself was pretty tame and uninteresting.

i mean... the main character was a douche bag and the other white dude was straight pussss. the black dude (hardison?) was great tho.... his acting + the role were great. other than that dude.... i wouldnt even recommend this for rental.

go rent Generation Kill if you want a better look at our young veterans. but thats just, imo.

basterds, district 9, up, avatar and crazy heart were all MUCH better. but, whatever.... its sad when MTV awards are more on point than the Academy.

Hurt Locker was a bad movie IMO, speaking from a guy who has been to Iraq Twice, Once in Baghdad, and majority of that time working with Army EOD, certain aspects of this movie would NEVER happened. its just sucks that society will see this movie and think that's how it really is when in all actuality its not.

avatar (the 3d imax experience) was incredibly awesome but avatar (the movie) was overrated. if i had to watch it at home, movie would be above average but not spectacular. acting was mediocre. hurt locker was a much better "movie" imo. 

Originally Posted by Mac4167

Hurt Locker was a bad movie IMO, speaking from a guy who has been to Iraq Twice, Once in Baghdad, and majority of that time working with Army EOD, certain aspects of this movie would NEVER happened. its just sucks that society will see this movie and think that's how it really is when in all actuality its not.

WOW.

Thanks for the insight.

Originally Posted by Mac4167

such as...?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by shogun

Basterds is my fav movie of the year
Really? I just watched Basterds and I wasnt as impressed as I thought I would be. District 9 was ok, at best.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. You guys are saying The Hurt Locker was overhyped, then said AVATAR should have won the Best Picture oscar?! Avatar, the most overhyped movie in history?! Come on now. You know damn well T.H.L. was a better movie in all aspects but CGI.

From a pure story standpoint, there's no way Avatar was better than the Hurt Locker. As an overall film, well that's a different argument and I would agree Avatar was better.

People are often surprised about how a movie could do so well as the Oscars, you have to recognize the politics involved. Woman director, about Iraq, modest budget, praised by critics, all of that combined it was a shoe-in to win best picture.

I thought it was good. Straightforward and simple performances as well as the writing and direction. It was good, but without a surefire candidate to challenge it, I didn't think it was good enough. I don't think it should have won best screenplay, the Academy absolutely robbed Tarantino of that honor. The least they could have done was reward him with a writing award since he wasn't going to win Best Picture.

Back
Top Bottom