Financial Aid Help?

davis

formerly koopa2410
Just got my financial aid form back, and it said this:

[table][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]COA[/font][/td] [td]$37,415.00 - COA
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EFC[/font][/td] [td]$54,065.00 - EFC
[/td] [/tr][/table]
what's this mean....will i have to pay everything....
frown.gif
....? any helpis appreciated....

COA: cost of attendance
EFC: estimated family contribution

I have no clue why EFC>COA.

That means that, based on your federal financial aid application, your family should be able to contribute $54,065.00 for your college expenses and yourtuition is $37,415.00. I don't get why you'd need financial aid though if your family contribution is enough to cover the cost of attendance.

Originally Posted by Jumpshot

That means that, based on your federal financial aid application, your family should be able to contribute $54,065.00 for your college expenses and your tuition is $37,415.00. I don't get why you'd need financial aid though if youre family contribution is enough to cover the cost of attendance.
Not all parents are willing to pay for their kids education.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Originally Posted by Jumpshot

That means that, based on your federal financial aid application, your family should be able to contribute $54,065.00 for your college expenses and your tuition is $37,415.00. I don't get why you'd need financial aid though if youre family contribution is enough to cover the cost of attendance.
Not all parents are willing to pay for their kids education.

Ain't that the truth.... Pops told me If I don't get a scholorship I got get a job or get out the house....
smh.gif
... I got a scholorship and hustled myway thru school

Why did you put your EFC that high? I put mine as $0.00 and they paid for all my school.

Originally Posted by dbbabd

Why did you put your EFC that high? I put mine as $0.00 and they paid for all my school.
I don't think you can pick you efc. They automatically determine it.

Originally Posted by dbbabd

The government calculates the EFC.

You should talk to an advisor at your school.

They should be able to break it down.

You cant do anything about it. Its practically telling you that your parents have a high enough income that you dont need financial aid

financial aid is kinda crazy... when I applied last year my efc was higher than my expected cost... and my parents weren't
trying to help me pay for my education... so I got nothing from the government... good thing I had a University scholarship to help me out

Originally Posted by jthagreat

financial aid is ... a B!!!

the folks in the middle are F!!!d

all i got to say

you are pretty much dead on with that statement

and in reality these are where most of your students come from

financial aid is ... a B!!!

the folks in the middle are F!!!d

all i got to say
yep

I might get into a real good private school like Wharton or something and my pops is still reluctant to pay... he'll help me out with afew grand at a state school though
tired.gif

and Im prob not getting a scholarship for much, so I gotta figure out a way to work this

OP your not going to get much if anything at all. Better be prepared to take on hella loans or start your new part time job. Filling out scholarships.

But you do have some options:

Wait until your 24 and the govt will base your aid package on your income.
Find a cool girl and marry her while you both goto school and the Govt will base your aid package on your combine incomes.
Or, you can just work part time through the school year and full time in the summer combined with getting a few scholarships each year and you should only havea small amount of debt after graduation.

PS pick a major that will make you some money.

Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

OP your not going to get much if anything at all. Better be prepared to take on hella loans or start your new part time job. Filling out scholarships.

But you do have some options:

Find a cool girl and marry her while you both goto school and the Govt will base your aid package on your combine incomes.
Or, you can just work part time through the school year and full time in the summer combined with getting a few scholarships each year and you should only have a small amount of debt after graduation.

PS pick a major that will make you some money.
waiting to you are 24 is a real dumb idea, you dont even get that much more

you can get the additional money if your parents are denied for a Parent Plus loan anyway

how true is this, and how does Aid work when it comes to getting your Masters?

any info is appreciated.

how true is this, and how does Aid work when it comes to getting your Masters?

any info is appreciated.
Masters is easy once you get a BA, you are automatically an independent student

you dont need your rents and you get ALOT of aid b/c the government sees you already completed a degree, it's all Federal Stafford loans tho, no grants

a mix of subsidized and unsubsidized

Back
Top Bottom