FIU Football player fatally stabbed on campus

Florida International University running back Kendall Berry was stabbedto death on campus Thursday night, the university has confirmed.
Berry, 22, a junior from Haines City, was found fatally wounded at the Modesto A. Maidique campus in West Miami-Dade.

Miami-Dade police spokesman Detective Javier Baez said two men wereseen arguing outside a recreation center about 9 p.m., and witnessessaid one stabbed the other.

Berry, whose identity was not confirmed by police, died on the way to the hospital, Baez said.

Police were interviewing witnesses but had no one in custody late Thursday, Baez said.

The university said spring football practice would be suspended indefinitely.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Kendall's family," said FIUPresident Mark B. Rosenberg. "We are here to support them and ourentire university community as all of us come to terms with thistragedy."

The school's football directory describes Berry, whowore No. 19, as being six feet tall and weighing 188 pounds. He did notplay in 2007 and 2008 because of knee injuries.

One of Berry'sbest games as a Golden Panther came in a loss to Middle Tennessee inNovember 2009. Berry, described as a "former high schoolquarterback-turned-receiver-turned-running back" in a Miami Heraldarticle, ran for 103 yards and three touchdowns.

His parents, Derrick and Mellissicia Spillman, have been notified, the university said. Berry had seven siblings.

Berry was a star athlete at Haines City (FL) Senior High where he played football and ran track.

http://www.miamiherald.co...layer-kendall-berry.html

Campus was crazy last night. RIP Kendall Berry.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Lokillo40

Yea man graduating next year hopefully. This is crazy, all over an argument smh.

Yeah i got suspended my first year as a freshman....
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
eta for graduation is unknown...

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

Originally Posted by Lokillo40

Yea man graduating next year hopefully. This is crazy, all over an argument smh.

Yeah i got suspended my first year as a freshman....
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
eta for graduation is unknown...
Another FIU student here. Kinda crazy cause i was at the rec center earlier in the day. Never thought something like this would happen. RIP

Originally Posted by II Jovo II

Thats a shame... I wonder what it was over........................

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Sources familiar with the investigation said the stabbing was sparked by an earlier incident between Berry's girlfriend and another student. The girlfriend had summoned Berry after encountering the other man outside the rec center, where they had a disagreement and he allegedly threw cookies in her face. [/color]
smh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]....That's why i'm for being able to legally carry concealed on campus!!![/color]

Unfortunately enough, this is just like the stabbing death of Jasper Howard earlier in the academic year (Fall semester); he also played football and died over a incident that originally involved a female.

Dudes need to cut all the bravodo-hard body nonesense out. Too many people dying over nothing...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Sneakerhead14

Dang RIP.

SN: You guys like it at FIU? I was thinking about going there...
FIU is straight its not a real college experience though. College isnt in a college town like all the other big florida uni its in the middle of the spanish part of miami so there is an already established community out there. Drugs are huge at FIU also but if your not living on campus than yeah its actually a pretty good school and a lot of smart kids go there.

Back
Top Bottom