Flight White has landed in HOU Vol. He got business to attend to next Feb.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6286398.html

CHICAGO - With his playing time scarce and time running out on his contract, Rockets guard Luther Head was waived on Saturday to beat the deadline forplayers to be eligible for the postseason.

Head will likely be replaced on the roster by high-scoring NBA Development League forward James White of the Anaheim Arsenal. The Rocketswere close to signing White to a 10-day contract, a person with knowledge of the move said on Saturday, and White was held out of Saturday'sgame.

Head was the Rockets' first-round pick in 2005 and showed promise as a shooting guard in his first two seasons, but did not develop as a point guard andstruggled badly in the playoffs. He was supplanted in the rotation this season by the additions of Ron Artest and Brent Barry and the development of VonWafer.

"He wants to play and it didn't seem he would get the opportunity to play a lot there," Head's agent Mark Bartelstein said. "This isan opportunity to find a team and get a chance to play, maybe to play in the playoffs and to showcase him before he is a free agent this summer."

Bartelstein said he was confident he would be able to find a team for Head, but had nothing set.

Head played in 255 career games in his four seasons with the Rockets, averaging of 8.8 points, 2.3 assists and 2.7 rebounds. Head, who was with the team forSaturday's game in his hometown, played in only 22 games this season, averaging 4.8 points in 14.6 minutes per game.

"Luther's been such a good soldier in terms of his day-to day approach as a professional," Rockets director of player personnel Gersson Rosassaid. "He's done everything our guys have asked him to do. This is more about an opportunity for him, where he is in his career, with his contractualstatus, to get a chance to play with another team and prolong his career.

"He is a talent. He is a special shooter. He needs an opportunity to play. He wasn't going to get many opportunities with our current rotation andwith our current roster. We wanted to do the right thing for the kid to catch on with a team and maybe even play in the playoffs this year."

The Rockets had attempted to find a place for him before the trade deadline, but Head was out with a sore right foot. He had been cleared to play thisweek.

"Luther has been a great player and representative for the Rockets organization," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "When it becameclear he wasn't going to see minutes in our rotation, he maintained his professional demeanor and continued to work hard every day."

Couldn't find an appropriate gif, but I'm happy for him. He's a much better player than many people, most of whom have never seen him play a game,assume. There are certainly worse players in the league now. I hope he succeeds. Houston needs to waive Chuck Hayes's fat !#$ too. I know he gives you110%,hustle and aggressive play, but you could get the same thing from somebody with some actual athleticism and be much improved as well as that player couldplay in more than 3 minute spurts. I'm thinking a Pops Mensah Bonsu-Donnell Harvey-Marcus Haislip type, or even a guy they have sitting on their bench indesigner jeans and suit jackets, Dorsey

even if he makes the team, i doubt he'll stay on the roster till next year's ASG
tired.gif

Hopefully he gets some PT in the last few weeks of the season at least. Give us some highlights!

Yea flight was ill at Cincy. I remember when him and Francisco Garcia would go at it. Even played some PG. So underrated. Glad to have him on the squad, withhim and Von Wafer we have some finishers.

Originally Posted by GaBeGRaMz

Wow. Luther Head is good money. Why did they waive him ?
Good one.......

The Lakeshow don't need him, he's the epitome of streaky. He may fit in just because it's the Lakers, but he def didn't do anything to get offthe bench in HOU

Luther Head was ghost the last two playoffs, and can't run point, but dude is money behind the arc.

The only reason he hasn't got burn was because he was injured and the emergence of Von Wafer.

Dude will find a team to latch onto.

As for James White, hopefully he can do something to stay on the team long term.

Flight White vs. King James in next year's Slam Dunk Contest, in the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium for tens of thousands to watch in awe.

... I can dream, can't I?
laugh.gif

Dallas has Gerald Green

Rockets get James White

it all evens out.

article @ all-star break --- goes into how GMs may view him as over-emotional and what he's done to handle that perception.

[table][tr][td]James White, Knocking on the NBA's Door, Again[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]by: Jim Hlavac[/td] [/tr][tr][td]February 12, 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td] In a league that prides itself in developing players, no one player has shown as much improvement this season as NBA D-League All-Star James White of the Anaheim Arsenal. The 6'7" White is second in the league in scoring with 25.8 points per game and has scored 20 or more points in 21 consecutive games. White will be one of four players participating in the D-League's Slam-Dunk Contest on Friday night, as well as the -League All-Star game on Saturday afternoon (NBA TV, 4 PM EST).

"Coach [Sam] Vincent put me in a role as being one of the primary scorers on the team", said White. "I'm getting shots up and just looking for my shot more, which I've really never been able to do on any other team I played for."

The trust placed upon him by Vincent has paid off for White and the Arsenal, as he has connected on 55.5% of his shots and 40% from behind the arc.

[table][tr][td]
1234415836.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Icon SMI[/td] [/tr][/table]

Assistant Coach Paul Mokeski agrees, "Every game I look up, he's got 30 points."

White's biggest development, however, has been his attitude and approach to the game. He has a bad reputation, and whether it is deserving or not, it has stuck to him.

When White entered the NBA draft out of Cincinnati, he was the 31st pick overall. Yet in this year's D-League draft, this first round talent saw 24 players picked ahead of him. And there was some concern in the Anaheim war room of taking him at all.

"He had a reputation of being kind of volatile," says Mokeski. A reputation that Mokeski hasn't seen this season. "I really like James. He works hard and he's a professional"

White wasn't even supposed to play in the D-League this season. After winning a championship in Turkey with Fenerbahce Ulker last season and an NBA championship with the Spurs the year before, White expected to be signed by an NBA team for this season. When that fell through, he signed to play in China. However when he arrived in China, he wasn't paid, and decided to return back to the United States to pursuit a career in the NBA.

The trip to China was not a lost cause, as his Dad gave him a book to read, "Mind Gym" by Gary Mack and David Casstevens.

"It's a book that talks about focusing and visualizing and things like that," says White. "I've been incorporating it into my game. I'm staying focused and looking at the plays before they happen. It's really helped me slow the game down."

White has always been, and will always be, an emotional player. He just needs to refine his emotions on the court and the book has helped him see that.

"Everybody thinks I have a bad attitude or I'm a bad guy because I show emotion. But that's what fuels me to play, my emotion."

He also now understands that he needs to control his emotion on the court. Earlier in the season, White would often contest calls the referees made, but he realizes that they are just doing their job and he needs to stay focused.

"I'm trying to calm down and leave the refs alone. The last three or four weeks I've really been working at it."

His efforts have not gone unnoticed by Coach Mokeski. "The non-reactions he has now to the bad calls are a big difference. It's not the big blown up reaction, it's just a little reaction and that's been a huge difference. It's really helped his game."

So now White just waits for the rest of the basketball world to see how he has developed this season. "I've figured out the scoring part at this level, so I'm going to pick it up on defense a little, get more rebounds, do more stuff other than scoring."

With all the raw talent and athleticism that made White the 31st pick overall in 2006, he should be getting a look at the NBA before the end of the year. If that comes, White will be ready.

"I can't do the same thing for them (NBA) that I do here (in the D-League), but in practice, I can show them that I can play. Whatever role they ask me to play, I'll play that role."

"In Europe, I was more like an energy guy. It was a different role I played. But that's what they asked me to play."

So while White waits for the call-up, he continues to work on his attitude all thanks to a little "Mind Gym."

White will be participating in the -League All-Star game on Saturday at 4 PM Eastern on NBATV, as well as the Slam Dunk contest.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

damn, i thought luther head was gonna be a decent player too. if on the right team, he could def. be a good role player and make an impact.

but since this thread is about flight, i hope he does stay in the L. feels like it's been years since i watched the mcdonalds dunk contest (where lee won
laugh.gif
) and i would like to see him in the nba dunk contest. as a playerthough...i went to a warriors/spurs game a year or so ago and wasn't really impressed with what i saw.

Hes tearin it up in the DL...if he can hold til next feb, Flight Vs the King Vs Nate Vs ?? in the Dunk contest....long as bron doesnt back out lol....should beinteresting......btw, my Nuggets Heads, what yall think of Luther in the blue n white?

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
http://www.nba.com/rockets/roster/

Rockets Roster
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td] [table][tr][td] 2008-09 Roster[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NUM[/td] [td]PLAYER[/td] [td]POS[/td] [td]HT[/td] [td]WT[/td] [td]DOB[/td] [td] FROM[/td] [td]YRS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]96[/td] [td]Ron Artest[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]11/13/1979[/td] [td] St. John's[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]Brent Barry[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]210[/td] [td]12/31/1971[/td] [td] Oregon State[/td] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]31[/td] [td]Shane Battier[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]220[/td] [td]09/09/1978[/td] [td] Duke[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0[/td] [td]Aaron Brooks[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-0[/td] [td]161[/td] [td]01/14/1985[/td] [td] Oregon[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]43[/td] [td]Brian Cook[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]250[/td] [td]12/04/1980[/td] [td] Illinois[/td] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]Joey Dorsey[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]268[/td] [td]12/16/1983[/td] [td] Memphis[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]44[/td] [td]Chuck Hayes[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]238[/td] [td]06/11/1983[/td] [td] Kentucky[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]Luther Head[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]185[/td] [td]11/26/1982[/td] [td] Illinois[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]Carl Landry[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]248[/td] [td]09/19/1983[/td] [td] Purdue[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]Kyle Lowry[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-0[/td] [td]205[/td] [td]03/25/1986[/td] [td] Villanova[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Tracy McGrady - C[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]223[/td] [td]05/24/1979[/td] [td] Mount Zion Christian Acad. HS (NC)[/td] [td]11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]55[/td] [td]Dikembe Mutombo[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]7-2[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]06/25/1966[/td] [td] Georgetown[/td] [td]17[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]Luis Scola[/td] [td]F-C[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]04/30/1980[/td] [td] Argentina[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]Von Wafer[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]210[/td] [td]07/21/1985[/td] [td] Florida State[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]James White[/td] [td]G-F[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]200[/td] [td]10/21/1982[/td] [td] Cincinnati[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]Yao Ming[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]7-6[/td] [td]310[/td] [td]09/12/1980[/td] [td] China[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

The prodigal son has returned
pimp.gif

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/James_White_Lands_In_Houston-303249-34.html

Tuesday March 3, 2009 3:14 PM[h1]James "Flight" White Lands In Houston
[/h1][h2]Rockets sign high-flying swingman to 10-day contract

[/h2]
content_white.jpg

Determined to prove he's more than just a great dunker, James White is working hard to develop an all-around game.

Adjust Font Size

Get articles like this on your desktop!
RSS NEWS FEED

[h1]
[/h1]

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer

Houston - James White wants you toknow he's more than just a dunker. That behind allthe windmill jams and between the legs throwdowns, there lurks a basketball player brimming with considerable potential.

There's just one problem: White's dunks aren't the garden variety slams witnessed on SportsCenter. Heck, they're not even the type seen atthe NBA's annual dunk contest. White's jams are so sick, so jaw-dropping that they demand to be seen - often over and over again - without any regardwhatsoever to the other aspects of his game.

But while his dunks created a youtube sensation, they did little to further hisdreams of becoming an NBA player. That's why White, newly inked to a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets, is working hard to ensure his basketballcareer ultimately is defined by much more than just his unique ability to elevate above the rim.

"I've been working on my game so much just so I can fight that stigma of being just a dunker," says the 26-year old product of the Universityof Cincinnati. "If you have ever seen me play this year, you know I've been working on my game and I'm more than just a dunker and an athlete. Myball-handling, my ability to shoot the ball, my defense - everything's gotten better as a player."

The numbers back up his claim. In 34 games with the Anaheim Arsenal of the NBA D-League, White averaged 25.9 points per game (tied for first in the leagueat the time of his call-up), while shooting .549 from the field and .368 from beyond the arc. Clearly, his work was paying off and, not surprisingly, NBA teamsstarted noticing.

"I knew people noticed," says White. "My agent would tell me teams were looking all the time, so I just kept my nose down and kept grinding,and kept having faith that one of the teams would call me up. Fortunately, I got with a good team, a winning organization and a good city so I'm thankfulfor that."

But for a player like White, one who is eager to impress and show what he can do, landing with a winning organization like the Rockets can be a bit of adouble-edged sword. On one hand, he'll certainly benefit from the excellent coaching and professional, hard-working atmosphere the Rockets enjoy. On theother, playing time is likely to be scarce, given the fact Houston already owns one of the deepest rosters in the NBA.

"He brings us some much-needed athleticism on both ends of the court," says Assistant Coach Elston Turner. "He's a guy who can excite thefans with lob catches and put-back dunks. And as bad as we need some shot blockers and weakside help to change a shot - he can do those kinds of things.

"But I have no idea yet where he will fit in right now. For the first time this season, we're settling in on some chemistry without anybodyin-and-out. It's tough from his standpoint because you have to learn a lot of plays and you have to learn players, but it's tough from our standpoint,too, because we have to integrate him without disrupting what we're already doing.

"Look at [Brian] Cook. He's been here awhile and you see how minutes are still kind of scarce, but he gives us a shooting four which we don'thave. So the chess match, so to speak, with different types of players, we're trying to put that together as a team to add to our versatility. That way wecan go any type of direction with lineup changes either at this point or the future.

"So we'll just have to work him out and see how he fits and see if he can fit in for the years to come."

That's a tall task to ask of someone in the span of a mere ten days. And making White's situation even more challenging is the fact that, not onlywill his playing time be limited - if he sees any at all - but so, too, will be his time on the practice court. With the Rockets currently engaged in a stretchwhich will see them play ten games in the span of 15 days, the club won't have many opportunities to run through a real practice, further limitingWhite's opportunity to showcase himself.

So those are the obstacles standing before the Rockets' newest addition. And though he made his name by leaping over anything and everything in hispath, he made his game through hard work and effort; two things which will have a far greater impact on his ability to overcome the roadblocks whichawait him at this level.

"Right now they just want to see how quick I can learn the plays and see how I can fit in with the team," says White. "I was looking at videoall night trying to pick up the plays. It's tough to just come in and learn all those sets the first day, but I'm getting it down. It's going to bea process since this is a playoff team and everybody is already acclimated. I just have to come in and try to play my role."

"I just need to continue to work hard, come early, stay late, continue to shoot the ball well and do the things I do and hopefully the coaches see thatand give me a chance. And I just have to make the most of whatever chance I get."

[h3]White gets shot[/h3]
James Whitegot the break he had wanted, signing a 10-day contract with the Rockets on Tuesday. The next step might be tougher.

White, a 6-7 forward who was averaging 25.9 points for Anaheim in the NBA Development League,joins the Rockets during the heaviest part of the schedule. At most, the Rockets will have two practices during his 10 days. White was on the inactive list,the first time a healthy Rockets player has been inactive since December (Steve Francis and Joey Dorsey ). He had nocomplaints, however.

"I feel great man, just to be in a position to come back to the NBA, try to make adifference for a good team," he said.

White has gained some notoriety as the D-League dunk champion and touched the top of thebackboard in testing Tuesday morning, but he said he is more than just a leaper.

"I've been working on my game so much just so I could fight that stigma as adunker," said White, who played college ball at Cincinnati. "If you ever saw me play this year, you know I've been working on my game. "

Rockets director of player programs Shawn Respert worked withWhite when White was assigned by the San Antonio Spurs to the Austin Toros and said White brings a variety of skills.

"He's got a really good touch, and I like that he's very athletic," Respertsaid.

Im a fan of flight but I doubt the rockets will keep him until feb, maybe even the rest of this year. He finished the season with the spurs and was trippingduring summer league thats another reason why he didnt stay on.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

[h3]White gets shot[/h3]
James White got the break he had wanted, signing a 10-day contract with the Rockets on Tuesday. The next step might be tougher.

White, a 6-7 forward who was averaging 25.9 points for Anaheim in the NBA Development League, joins the Rockets during the heaviest part of the schedule. At most, the Rockets will have two practices during his 10 days. White was on the inactive list, the first time a healthy Rockets player has been inactive since December (Steve Francis and Joey Dorsey ). He had no complaints, however.

"I feel great man, just to be in a position to come back to the NBA, try to make a difference for a good team," he said.
Had me scared for a sec..

Back
Top Bottom