Flopping in pick-up games.....WHY?

I have no problem with people calling fouls if you get fouled. I consider a foul to be when you go up for a layup and when you get hit the ball doesn't get to the rim. If I go up, get hit, and the ball rattles out, I'll let it go.

Lets just acknowledge that flopping, illegal screen calling, loose ball fouls, and 3 seconds are "cultural" calls.

:stoneface: there's no refs.  You disgust me as a human.  I wish nothing but bad things upon you and your family

I didn't say anything about refs.

I don't get how you're cool with fouling on wide open layups but you're disgusted by exaggerating a foul to make sure people don't argue the call. I'm disgusted by any intentional fouling because no one would do it if there were free throws coming like in real ball. If you're legitimately going for the block and foul that's one thing. If you're just straight fouling because you got beat and want a chance to reset your defense - I think that's much worse than flopping. At least if someone flops, you can argue the call or play on.

Anyone feel like they're better at organized ball than street ball due to the structure of the game and the very things we're discussing in this thread (ie charges, drawing contact, etc.)

About the whole "we don't call fouls" @#$%...

There have been far too many times I've played with fat dudes with ZERO skill who just ram through defenders to get in for an easy layup :stoneface: If you try guarding them, they'll just use their shoulder or back to push you off. What are you supposed to do then? I've played pick-up with built dudes who actually know how to play for real, and they never do that @#$%

At this stage in my life, where I have a career and a family......I don't play at those places that do those intentional fouls on break away lay ups. I can not afford to be limping or possibly even worse into the office the next day looking like a jack *** over a pick up game of hoop. I understand accidents happen and physicality is part of the game. As a kid it was fun, coming home with bruises a busted lip every so often, scraped up knee or elbow. But those days for me are over with.

I usually will just run pick up with a group of guys that know each other and have that unspoken respect. Meaning, lets have some fun, play hard and make sure we get to go home and not a trip to the ER that night before work the next day.

At this stage in my life, where I have a career and a family......I don't play at those places that do those intentional fouls on break away lay ups. I can not afford to be limping or possibly even worse into the office the next day looking like a jack *** over a pick up game of hoop. I understand accidents happen and physicality is part of the game. As a kid it was fun, coming home with bruises a busted lip every so often, scraped up knee or elbow. But those days for me are over with.
I usually will just run pick up with a group of guys that know each other and have that unspoken respect. Meaning, lets have some fun, play hard and make sure we get to go home and not a trip to the ER that night before work the next day.

Nods head and agrees

B4 someone says you'll get laughed at or beat up in "hood" courts or whatever - nah, NO ONE can tell the difference. I don't try and take charges or anything petty like that - but I do want my fouls to be called. I'm not Lebron, I'm not finishing through ridiculous amounts of contact.
laugh.gif

*shrug*
I will point and laugh at anyone I see flailing their arms and **** looking like a little ***** *** European basketball player who just felt contact on the basketball court for the first time ever. Looking like a Vlade Divac/Manu Ginobili collabo.

I'm not Lebron either, hell I'm not even black, but i'm always going to try to finish. I don't mess with any of that foolishness. If its a foul, the D will call it. Otherwise quit being a little *****

Idk if you guys run into this, but whenever you have a majority black team playing against a bunch of white guys at like their college court or whatever, they ALWAYS play zone and tend to call things like charges or 3 seconds lol. I find it pretty hilarious. I Also hate buddy ball when you have 2 or 3 butt buddies on the same team and they just pas to each-other and jack up shots.
Both of these always happen to me. The zone thing is the worst, just play man defense! And it's terrible when those same dudes playing buddy ball, shooting anytime they touch it, let their man go for 5 points on them and think its funny when the team loses.

Last edited:
And if for some reason there is an offensive foul, the defense does not get the ball. Dudes calling charges and push offs then think possession changes. No :lol:

Flopping is one thing but the other extreme is just as bad, during the summer I play some streetball and I usually go down with a few guys from my team. A few decent players who are used to playing with each other will usually win out in streetball games but this tends to get out of hand when the local street dogs get chippy about loosing 7-0 so things get out of hand real quick when guys start getting physical.

The thing a lot of streetballers dont understand is for half the yr they not gettina good run and guys who play organized ball spend 2-3 eves a week in the winter months training on teams in a gym with structure and routine.

In the summer when the organized ballers take to the streets it often creates tension as some streetballers play with attitude cus they couldn't make it on teams or dropped out of the system. This has been getting out of hand in recent yrs and latley Ive been playing indoor pickup with some of the older club guys - the fouls are just as hard but they older guys are not looking for a fight which is not always the case on the streets.

I will point and laugh at anyone I see flailing their arms and **** looking like a little ***** *** European basketball player who just felt contact on the basketball court for the first time ever. Looking like a Vlade Divac/Manu Ginobili collabo.

I'm not Lebron either, hell I'm not even black, but i'm always going to try to finish. I don't mess with any of that foolishness. If its a foul, the D will call it. Otherwise quit being a little *****

what does that have to do with anything? lmao

i was once just guarding this dude who was like 5'5 was not even playing hard d, rased my hand up and he shot it into my hand (0 contact) then ended up calling a foul, i was 18 at the time and guy had to be at least 27. I find the best way to counter scrubs like this is to just laugh in their face, give them the "foul" and go about winning

I didn't say anything about refs.
I don't get how you're cool with fouling on wide open layups but you're disgusted by exaggerating a foul to make sure people don't argue the call. I'm disgusted by any intentional fouling because no one would do it if there were free throws coming like in real ball. If you're legitimately going for the block and foul that's one thing. If you're just straight fouling because you got beat and want a chance to reset your defense - I think that's much worse than flopping. At least if someone flops, you can argue the call or play on.
thats part of whats so good and different about streetball.  gotta power through and scream and 1 if u really want that game winner.  one of the elements of streetball that seperates the boys from the men.  sounds like your a boy.

I hate when you get fouled then yell and one, and it goes in the other team just says "oh you called a foul so it doesn't count"

:smh: :stoneface:

thats part of whats so good and different about streetball.  gotta power through and scream and 1 if u really want that game winner.  one of the elements of streetball that seperates the boys from the men.  sounds like your a boy.

Meh, I play hard all game, play actual team defense, play unselfish, only call extra blatant fouls, encourage my teammates and have fun. If screaming on occasion makes me a boy, so be it. no one i play with or against complains. i'm not saying flopping is right but its not as bad as ya'll make it out to be considering the stuff that goes down in these courts sometimes.

I hate when you get fouled then yell and one, and it goes in the other team just says "oh you called a foul so it doesn't count"

Jesus I remember this once incident where we got into a ten min. argument because I said and one and expected the ball back.

Why else would I yell and one? They said i HAD to say foul or it wasn't a foul. tf?

hell is wrong with people?

Jesus I remember this once incident where we got into a ten min. argument because I said and one and expected the ball back.
Why else would I yell and one? They said i HAD to say foul or it wasn't a foul. tf?

Nah, and one means you expect it to drop. Call ball or don't say ****.

:lol: at dudes with clipboards and film

double :lol: :lol: at "cultural calls"

Usually if I foul somebody I'll just give them ball.

Anyone feel like they're better at organized ball than street ball due to the structure of the game and the very things we're discussing in this thread (ie charges, drawing contact, etc.)
I'm not trying to die playing basketball either. I used to play really physical ball when I was younger but then I see some of my friends getting hurt every time we play ball to the point where they need surgery. No point in killing myself when I need to show up to work and support myself and can't  afford to miss because of pick-up basketball.

I love playing organized ball. I feel like you have to think a bit more playing and not everybody can just sit in the paint all day and wait for you to drive into the lane only to hack you. Also, not everybody is running around doing whatever they want. You need the right spacing on the floor and figure out what you need to run based on the defense. It's just more fun to me personally.

Where I'm from, And 1 is just talking ****. You thought you were gonna make it and didn't. If you want foul you gotta call "foul" or "ball" or something, but when I played in OKC they played like how you expect, to be able to call And 1, miss and get the foul then. They even played where you can call a foul, but then if the shot drops, be like never mind, bucket. I was man **** y'all dudes. Dudes were taking them Manu Ginobili continuations where you foul them out at the 3pt line and they finish that last dribble, get 2 long strides then lay it up because everybody stopped since you called foul 4 seconds ago.

But then I play the opposite way, almost never call my fouls, and it causes a problem too becausepeople foul me on purpose and I'm playing through that **** and then they want to argue, "nah I stopped. I gave you ball," and it's like "I didn't call it, basket," argument ensures, then it's like let me call my own.

We play with high talent level dudes, but it's on a military base so some kats get extra high strung and borderline violent and it can definitely get physical; they waste too much time arguing. I don't really care. I'll say something, you disagree, alright **** it check ball up then and we'll get the next call. That's why they had to institute the clock (12 mins) on games on weekends when it's crowded. Some games end like 2-1 because they just argue over calls all day and the real ******* dudes if their team is up will stall on purpose or even do something like throw the ball :x

Where I'm from, And 1 is just talking ****. You thought you were gonna make it and didn't. If you want foul you gotta call "foul" or "ball" or something, but when I played in OKC they played like how you expect, to be able to call And 1, miss and get the foul then. They even played where you can call a foul, but then if the shot drops, be like never mind, bucket. I was man **** y'all dudes. Dudes were taking them Manu Ginobili continuations where you foul them out at the 3pt line and they finish that last dribble, get 2 long strides then lay it up because everybody stopped since you called foul 4 seconds ago.

It's different everywhere. I'm from Miami and I'm used to playing by saying "And 1 = foul" none of that Manu Ginobili stuff. Talking about I'm in the air going for a layup and getting hit. If it goes in, then point counts. If its a miss, my ball. I don't call "and 1" after the shot misses just to try to get the ball. In addition, parks here are different. I've played at parks where and 1 doesn't count as a foul or if you say and 1 and make it, point doesn't count and you just get ball back. Regardless, I don't argue the unspoken rules of the park and just adjust accordingly cause I hate wasting times arguing with people. I just want to ball.

Back
Top Bottom