Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure....Good or Bad?

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Finally, I hope that you younger people here take a lesson from this. Big government means less privacy for you. The more benefits that you get from the public treasury, the more they attach strings to those benefits and one day a "free" man might be treated about the same as an inmate in a penitentiary today.

This is for welfare in general. Kids won't understand that, they will support larger government as long as it is giving them something however if it is taking it away, anything at all, they are conditioned to hate it.

"He who sacrifies freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Finally, I hope that you younger people here take a lesson from this. Big government means less privacy for you. The more benefits that you get from the public treasury, the more they attach strings to those benefits and one day a "free" man might be treated about the same as an inmate in a penitentiary today.

This is for welfare in general. Kids won't understand that, they will support larger government as long as it is giving them something however if it is taking it away, anything at all, they are conditioned to hate it.

"He who sacrifies freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.

Originally Posted by rashi

For the people who are cool with this...

What if the government started drug testing students who file for FAFSA? Or drug testing checkpoints on the road? Would you also be cool with that? Ya'll have to understand the precedence these laws like this will have.

You think these Congressman, Senate, thousands of bureaucrats will make a law that has themselves drug tested? Hell naw. They take tax payer money too, but its you cattle that are chained to the pens that have to obey these immoral laws.
I bypassed a lot of things in this thread but this is just so flawed it is almost unfair to go after.

First of all YES, students should not be taking drugs, especially ones receiving grant money 
laugh.gif

People should definitely not be on drugs and driving 
laugh.gif

I mean you are probably just some college kid trying to get his point across but you sound ridiculous, listen to yourself.

Originally Posted by rashi

For the people who are cool with this...

What if the government started drug testing students who file for FAFSA? Or drug testing checkpoints on the road? Would you also be cool with that? Ya'll have to understand the precedence these laws like this will have.

You think these Congressman, Senate, thousands of bureaucrats will make a law that has themselves drug tested? Hell naw. They take tax payer money too, but its you cattle that are chained to the pens that have to obey these immoral laws.
I bypassed a lot of things in this thread but this is just so flawed it is almost unfair to go after.

First of all YES, students should not be taking drugs, especially ones receiving grant money 
laugh.gif

People should definitely not be on drugs and driving 
laugh.gif

I mean you are probably just some college kid trying to get his point across but you sound ridiculous, listen to yourself.

real life...

im down with this, the whole welfare thing is being abused to much by people...
i work some of my money goes to them screw that...
no one in my fam is on welfare...

real life...

im down with this, the whole welfare thing is being abused to much by people...
i work some of my money goes to them screw that...
no one in my fam is on welfare...

God forbid they wanna smoke a blunt every once in a while to forget that they're poor
ohwell.gif

Please, save the #%%@%*%% for someone else.

THIS.

People are really missing the forest for the trees.  This isn't about TANF or even Pell Grants.  Do y'all understand how much money every level of government "gives" to people for various purposes?  Or the amount of things "subsidized" by the government?  Why are we singling out and demonizing TANF recipients and ignoring the millions of other people who receive money from the government in one form or another?

Someone in favor of this law please address this.

I'm all for cutting a lot of $***. For example I know not ONE, not TWO, but damn near THREE people in my own neighborhood that claim disability. They can absolutely work, cause I've seen them move around just fine. Mentally, they seem all there.  Now, I have to wake up and bust my !!+, but they get a free pass just cause they cheated the system. Wasteful spending. And it's everywhere.

Need to be more oversight on who we actually give benefits too.

God forbid they wanna smoke a blunt every once in a while to forget that they're poor
ohwell.gif

THIS.

People are really missing the forest for the trees.  This isn't about TANF or even Pell Grants.  Do y'all understand how much money every level of government "gives" to people for various purposes?  Or the amount of things "subsidized" by the government?  Why are we singling out and demonizing TANF recipients and ignoring the millions of other people who receive money from the government in one form or another?

I'm all for cutting a lot of $***. For example I know not ONE, not TWO, but damn near THREE people in my own neighborhood that claim disability. They can absolutely work, cause I've seen them move around just fine. Mentally, they seem all there.  Now, I have to wake up and bust my !!+, but they get a free pass just cause they cheated the system. Wasteful spending. And it's everywhere.

Abusing drugs such as what, marijuana? Which isn't even bad for you but thats a whole different topic of discussion.

While I agree to an extent that drug addicts using the harder stuff should not get any of my tax dollars, I just hate when they say that its an incentive for people to get off of drugs......No its not, enforcing drug testing for more reasons is just to put more money in their pockets.

You guys do realize the perverse incentive created by such a law? It should be called the "trade in marijuana for crack, meth and heroin act." THC stays in a person's system for weeks while cocaine and opiates and methamphetamine will usually be out of an addict's system within days. This encourages someone who might have only smoked marijuana to take up stronger, more dagerous and more addictive drugs.

Exactly.

Abusing drugs such as what, marijuana? Which isn't even bad for you but thats a whole different topic of discussion.

While I agree to an extent that drug addicts using the harder stuff should not get any of my tax dollars, I just hate when they say that its an incentive for people to get off of drugs......No its not, enforcing drug testing for more reasons is just to put more money in their pockets.

You guys do realize the perverse incentive created by such a law? It should be called the "trade in marijuana for crack, meth and heroin act." THC stays in a person's system for weeks while cocaine and opiates and methamphetamine will usually be out of an addict's system within days. This encourages someone who might have only smoked marijuana to take up stronger, more dagerous and more addictive drugs.

Exactly.

Some of you really just don't get it.
30t6p3b.gif

Stop being so narrow minded. You're completely missing the bigger picture. There is nothing positive about this law.

So damn concerned about what your "tax dollars" are going towards and you don't even realize the larger scope of the issue. Pure ignorance.

30t6p3b.gif

Stop being so narrow minded. You're completely missing the bigger picture. There is nothing positive about this law.

So damn concerned about what your "tax dollars" are going towards and you don't even realize the larger scope of the issue. Pure ignorance.

Originally Posted by November33rd

30t6p3b.gif

Pretty much. This guy Rick Scott is a lying stealing son a #%&. I hate the fact that these ppl here elected his #$$ governor smh.

Originally Posted by November33rd

30t6p3b.gif

Pretty much. This guy Rick Scott is a lying stealing son a #%&. I hate the fact that these ppl here elected his #$$ governor smh.

Tax money isn't going to pay for all of it.
They will make them pay for their own drug test.
and, they will make them go to rehabilitation program.

Tax money isn't going to pay for all of it.
They will make them pay for their own drug test.
and, they will make them go to rehabilitation program.

mmmkay. Drugs are a problem.
Its a well known problem that drugs characterize the life of many people in poverty.
But thats really not the issue. The issue is people are trying to get welfare to actually work.
When you give money to a family, who is concerned about drugs their priorities aren't where they should be.
Their priorities should be giving their child the best future possible. Welfare was suppose to help people realize that dream.
People somehow forget that these programs were not created to be a lifetime crutch. So, for the time being that someone is working their way up and has to receive government assistance....
The state is asking that you stay clean. That is all.

Now, with the other things, no one is going to be testing people at checkpoints. stop you're reaching.
like beyond the atmosphere reaching. There is no rationale to test people at checkpoints. nor is there one to test students that receive FAFSA.

mmmkay. Drugs are a problem.
Its a well known problem that drugs characterize the life of many people in poverty.
But thats really not the issue. The issue is people are trying to get welfare to actually work.
When you give money to a family, who is concerned about drugs their priorities aren't where they should be.
Their priorities should be giving their child the best future possible. Welfare was suppose to help people realize that dream.
People somehow forget that these programs were not created to be a lifetime crutch. So, for the time being that someone is working their way up and has to receive government assistance....
The state is asking that you stay clean. That is all.

Now, with the other things, no one is going to be testing people at checkpoints. stop you're reaching.
like beyond the atmosphere reaching. There is no rationale to test people at checkpoints. nor is there one to test students that receive FAFSA.

Have any studies been done to determine whether the law will be a money saving device or will it just be offset by the increased costs to the criminal justice system?  Are people offended by the law due to morals and the mental weakness of users or is it simply about money?  

Have any studies been done to determine whether the law will be a money saving device or will it just be offset by the increased costs to the criminal justice system?  Are people offended by the law due to morals and the mental weakness of users or is it simply about money?  

Originally Posted by PoloLax

ohwell.gif

THIS.

You are still focusing on oversight for the poorest and most marginalized people who receive government money, which is what this is all about.  As so many of the comments in this thread show, this is not about concern for these people or their children, it's about passing judgment on and punishing the poorest people in the country and holding them to a standard that no one would conceivably hold every single person (or corporation) who is given government money to.

Also, out of all of the money that the government doles out to people and corporations in this country for various purposes, do you know how miniscule the amounts spent on TANF and disability are?

Once again, can't see the forest for the trees.

Originally Posted by PoloLax

ohwell.gif

THIS.

You are still focusing on oversight for the poorest and most marginalized people who receive government money, which is what this is all about.  As so many of the comments in this thread show, this is not about concern for these people or their children, it's about passing judgment on and punishing the poorest people in the country and holding them to a standard that no one would conceivably hold every single person (or corporation) who is given government money to.

Also, out of all of the money that the government doles out to people and corporations in this country for various purposes, do you know how miniscule the amounts spent on TANF and disability are?

Once again, can't see the forest for the trees.

search "florida" on wshh

5 Ol Dutty Miami Jamaicans Rumble At A Reggae Club In Miami Florida! (Tiddays, Weaves & Eye Lashes All Out)

Latina Teacher From Florida Gets 10 Years In Prison For Having Sex With Teens!
The Block Aint Safe No More: Wild Brawl Breaks Out In The Hood In Florida! (Mother Comes Out With A Steel Chair, Group Gets With Baseball Bats & More)
Clueless: Female Teen In Florida Calls 911 On Her Self When Trying To Steal A Car! (Dispatchers Listened In As Youngsters Argue Over What They Want To Take)
Cop Arrested In Florida For Allegedly Squeezing Breast Milk From A Mother!
Florida Woman Says Her Love Handles Saved Her Life After Being Shot! & Now Plans On Putting On More Weight
Jerkin Goes Wrong: Rival Jerk Crews In Florida Takes It To Throwing Hands & One Kid Gets Snuffed (That Jerk Movement Looks Serious)
Heartless: 65yr Old Woman Beaten In Florida Because Of The Color Of Her Skin! (Son Can't Take It No More, Has To Walk Away From Interview)
Daymn Shame: Florida Cop Does A Drive-by-Tasing, Then Runs Over The Little Boy In A Bike!

Back
Top Bottom