FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I forgot who said it, but it totally changed how I buy cheese. Someone pointed out that bag cheese never sticks together due to the chemicals. At the start of the summer I made an effort to buy blocks of cheese and just shred on my own...

Yeah, they coat it in something so it doesn't clump together - something like potato starch or cellulose. It's definitely better freshly grated.

I forgot who said it, but it totally changed how I buy cheese. Someone pointed out that bag cheese never sticks together due to the chemicals. At the start of the summer I made an effort to buy blocks of cheese and just shred on my own...
Bagged cheese always tastes weird and doesn't melt as well as one would like. Not to mention the consistency is off. Shredding your own cheese just feels so much better, taste aside because that's so much better as well.

My girl prepared the lemon & rosemary chicken from Trader Joe’s last night.
It was actually pretty good.

Green beans with bacon and truffle chickpea pasta on the side.

449BBF31-1F99-4E4C-B00A-D85F734AD2B9.jpeg
What’s that in the green beans bacon or pancetta???
Also next time tell ur girl to make the green beans in a cast iron
The flavor is just different and better imo

Headed to Waikiki, any recommendations?

Sunday seafood brunch at Four Seasons
Tonkatsu Tamafuji
Ahi Assassins
Maguro Bro's
Helena's
Nico's Fish
Leonard's Malasadas
Sweet E's for breakfast
Sushi Sho, Sasabune, Onodera $$$$ but worth it

Eater Honolulu had a good list

Had to jump on the Popeyes chicken sandwich wave. It could've been better. Maybe Bay Area location doesn't make it better than other places since most of NT approves. Didn't taste much seasoning other than salt had to use the sweet heat sauce but that didn't elevate them. Chicken weren't thicc, good meat to bun ratio I suppose. I'll make my own next time after I finish the pack of polish sausages from Costco
IMG_20190815_115323.jpg

:lol: my wife and I were talking about this yesterday. I always buy the blocks and shred, and she buys the bags. The bags are NEVER as good as shredded off the block IMo.

:lol: my wife and I were talking about this yesterday. I always buy the blocks and shred, and she buys the bags. The bags are NEVER as good as shredded off the block IMo.

Even thinking about how bag cheese melts, depending on the brand, you can see the individual shreds :lol: :smh:

What’s that in the green beans bacon or pancetta???
Also next time tell ur girl to make the green beans in a cast iron
The flavor is just different and better imo

Bacon. We’ve don’t it with pancetta as well though.

I think she did use a cast iron actually. I’m not a big fan of green beans typically but these were decent.

Headed to Waikiki, any recommendations?

Cinnamons for the red velvet pancakes
Mikes huli huli chicken
Teddy’s bigger burgers
Dukes has a good brunch
Boots and kimos for the banana macadamia nut pancakes
El cholo for Mexican I’m the north shore
Monkey pod

FE0922C2-4780-4C0F-8D89-9E180AEAD866.jpeg

Farmers market empanadas

I’ve had those at my local farmers market. They’re pretty solid, but I’ve had better. I believe the company has a permanent spot at the West Hollywood Farmers Market next to The Grove.

Also, SC kid SC kid - not sure about the sauce with the “Spicy” sticker on it. But the other one is Chimichurri.

I’ve had those at my local farmers market. They’re pretty solid, but I’ve had better. I believe the company has a permanent spot at the West Hollywood Farmers Market next to The Grove.

Also, SC kid SC kid - not sure about the sauce with the “Spicy” sticker on it. But the other one is Chimichurri.
Yeah this was the one near the grove

The other sauce is just spicy chimichurri

Also took home their sweet Nutella one and I won’t be doing that again, it’s just ok

Back
Top Bottom