Footwear Industry Insight- Get your Shoe Knowledge Up

rockdeep

Banned
Ok. So working here has been an instant and valuable Knowledge Download.

I thought with the recent Posting Need for a DC EKIN, I would try and post from time to time on things you guys should know or try and get to know with regard to the footwear side of things.

In this business, liking shoes is just part of the work. That part is what actually gets you thru the difficult things, like KNOWING your product.

By knowing your product I don't mean what year a shoe released and retro'd and all the colors (SKUs) it released in.

Expect in MOST positions they have here be it an EKIN, or Marketing or Designer position...to give verbal presentations. Presentations to executives as well as Sales guys who will be expecting you to know why and where and all things related to what you are presenting on.

Expect to know your product. Don't confuse Soles with Midsoles...and knowing why something needs to be re-tooled. Know why one technology works not only for a shoe but for an athelete better than another.

Also, know your consumer. It's not about what YOU like, but what the demo you are trying to reach likes. This is something I always knew coming in, but is still sort of difficult not to put myself in the position.

After all WE ALL have different tastes as consumers and making sure you have an outlook for the demo they are targeting is key.

Also know you are not planning for now, you are planning for a season and sometimes 2 seasons from the present time.

I know some of you are A.D.D. for many words, but for now, that's all I will throw out.. any questions guys have.. feel free to throw them out here...and I will respond when possible.

I didn't post somethin like this in General for several reasons, but main one being, I wanted to help the folks back home get some real insight should a position like that or any other one come back up.

P.S. Act fast and don't Bojangle when it comes to info I post. As you see it doesn't last long. When Nike posts something, more times than not MANY people are applying and Nike needs those positions yesterday.. It may just take them a while to hire you!! lol
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

Acts Fast....and leaving messages Blank.

You're on your way Son. lol
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

Thanks for sharing this info, Rock. And I hope those really interested in the position or anything similar soak this in. My job has brought me in contact with several great EKIN's over the years. And I admire their job. It's definitely not easy. Imagine trying to teach a bunch of fidgety high school kids about technology when only question they want to ask is if they can have some free shoes. lol But seriously, it's a great job and everyone I've known has been a great person.
At night at dream that when I wake up, the males in the area will no longer be dressed like deflated packs of Skittles.

Quote:
Also, know your consumer. It's not about what YOU like, but what the demo you are trying to reach likes.
DestinationKicks: real great idea tommie, real great stereotee : you never f'n know these days stereotee : remember the alamo
"There is a fanbase that wants to hear good music, but there is a media that promotes foolishness." -Rhymefest

Quote:
Good luck, Ian!

Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - TRUTH hurts, doesn't it?
'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz'​

^^I'm lost on that one too. lol

And DK.. hit me up.. I am not at liberty to post that publicly...

And DC.. you hit it on the nose...

The LAST thing to go in thinking about is free kicks, cause THOSE come... but if you don't wear a size 9 and want to be an EKIN.. then just aspire to go another route, because unless you have an in with a Retailer, you won't be getting your size often unless your good with someone on Campus.

However, that position IS a great way to leap frog ONTO Campus with loftier aspirations of getting into different things.

Another thing is, when people ask you to be a Market Research Group to give feedback on kicks, the best thing you can do is come prepared to ask or give good questions.

About 4 years ago, Kev,myself and one other person of note were the only folks asking PERTINENT, relevant NON Colorway questions to a Panel of Jordan Designers...

Those line of questions is what got them showing Kev and I special Product, asking even more questions. I have to say, that day is the first day to the real Road I took getting to Nike.

^
I'm glad you posted that story.

I tell people that, and they never believe me.

So, thanks for being a mod. They will believe you. lol.

But yeah, that was 4 years ago?!?!?!?!?!?

WooooW!

Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - TRUTH hurts, doesn't it?
'TeePeso,' 'Ryan8478,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz'​

It's goin on 4 I believe and..... I am no Longer a Mod.. didn't you hear??? lol
Now fools are REALLY goin to Clown on me!!! lol

Hey rock thanks for the info!

do you happen to know the other side of working for Nike, like not the sales side, but more, I guess it would be the corporate side, but like the accounting and fiance side of working for nike and what goes about into that? I worked at the Nike outlet this summer, so I have some experience with the company and was going to apply for an internship with the company, but I hadn't heard much about the financial side of working for Nike!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Travis
WASHINGTON ********
Super Bowl Champions: XVII:XXII:XXVI

Well my Consulting business was in Contracts Management and BPR work, as well as Project Management, and I have chopped it up with the Legal folks at Nike, and the side of the Campus that the accounting and Legal folks stay on is COMPLETELY different than the rest of the Campus.

Their side is more Quiet in the Office area, and professional as in, you don't hear music playing on Speakers with Sofa's in the the middle of a work area. Still cool people, but more hunkered down and contributing in a different way, much like you would see a dot.com company in the DC area do.

There are no dress codes for them, but you tend to see more Dress Shirts with Jeans.. (No Kanye)

But they have positions open up rarely, but Contract out alot of that type of work too.

Back
Top Bottom