For all the Married men and Fathers with daughters.

Did you ask your bride's father for their permission/blessing to marry her. For the men with daughters do you expect your little girls future husband to ask you? I'm thinking of asking the question but not sure if people still do this?

I'm not married but it definitely would be a good move and is a sign of respect to her parents. Not saying it's required though. I never planned on doing it honestly.

I wouldn't be able to speak for other cultures, but in the Hispanic/Latino community thats the norm.

I gotta include that we have a child together and was expected to marry her before he was born. But both of us were against it (the gf and I). So I know they expect it.

I went to my wife's dad and gave him a heads-up that i was planning on asking his daughter to marry me. I didn't really ask him for "permission" or for his daughter's "hand in marriage." But I made sure he knew he was the first to know my intention. I know his personality, and I also know he respects how I handled that situation. It worked out perfectly. Every situation is different, obviously. You have to handle it the way your situation calls for... Good luck :smokin

I wouldn't ask per say, but rather, I'd just show him the ring and let him know what's up. Since my France's father passed, I did the same thing but to her mother just out of respect though.

I wouldn't be able to speak for other cultures, but in the Hispanic/Latino community thats the norm.

never heard of that.

so what are you gonna do if he says no? break up with his daughter? **** that. its your life and hers not his

Last edited:
i haven't dated a girl whose father was in her life in while and i wouldnt ask a mother...My daughter, eh, i dnt really mind if you let me know or not, as long as you do right by her

i didnt because my wifes real father isnt really around all like that and her step father doesnt really mean that much to her either, but as for my two daugthers i plan to be anything and everything they can count on and look up to so yes i think the young fellow should ask my permission.

When the time comes, I definitely plan to. I can appreciate the tradition and general respect of it.

at the moment i would say i wouldnt ask but i would tell the dude beforehand but who knows i havent met that special lady yet.

I didn't ask him before I popped the question. From the looks of it, he wasn't going to follow tradition of paying for wedding. So I saw no point at half *** tradition.

I expect to be able to cover my daughters' weddings when the time comes, so I will expect the request. It doesn't matter in the end though as you can't stop two adults.

Nope.. Father in law is the passive type. But did urge her loony mama that imma handle mines and take care of her once she had my seeds :smile:

Last edited:
Did you ask your bride's father for their permission/blessing to marry her. For the men with daughters do you expect your little girls future husband to ask you? I'm thinking of asking the question but not sure if people still do this?

Just a little background on myself, Im cuban, my wife has a puerto rican mother and Arab father. Before I proposed to my then girlfriend, I sat down with both her parents and asked them both for their blessing. I told them I wanted to marry their daughter, etc etc and they appreciated it and said 'ok'.

5 years later, we're still married and we have a year old daughter. In 30years or so, when my daughter wants to marry, that guy better talk to me both before they start dating and again when he wants to marry my daughter. If not, life will be difficult for them.

Before all the haters and people with difference of opinion come at me, yes, I know its her life. But as her father, I am responsible for her life and must do my best to make sure she has a happy one herself. I am her guardian and provider so any guy who wants my baby, better come at me right, or else :stoneface:

as a bonus:
View media item 492108

i haven't dated a girl whose father was in her life in while and i wouldnt ask a mother...My daughter, eh, i dnt really mind if you let me know or not, as long as you do right by her
black girls ftw 
wink.gif

Since my France's father passed, I did the same thing but to her mother just out of respect though.

I was in the same situation. I talked to my fiancee's mom and let her know my intention to have her daughter as my wife. After talking with her mom, I let her two older brothers know.

We spoke after I already 'proposed'/ bought the ring. Wife said her dad wanted to talk privately with me. We spoke for about an hour.

Grown folks are grown folks. Be damned if I asked 'permission' to do something with another consenting adult. Having a convo with the the parents (both parents btw) before you do pop the question, I get.

I have 2 daughters, when they're old enough to be in that position, it wouldn't matter one way or the other. Any serious misgivings I have about my daughters' suitors would be addressed with said daughters. After that, grown folks are grown folks, and they're going to do what they want.

Last edited:

At the time, her father lived in the Philippines and their relationship was kind of rocky. I got the blessings from her older brothers even way before the idea of getting married was in question.

As far as my daughters? Best believe I'm expecting their future husbands to have a sit down with me either informing me of their intentions or asking my permission.

Last edited:
I took my wife's parents out to dinner and asked them both for their blessing. It was strictly a formality, because we'd been together a long time and they loved me...but it was an issue of respect. Plus, her folks are pretty old school so it was even really a question.

My wifes father has never been in the picture so I wasn't given that option. I only have one child, a boy and that will be my last. If I live to see him mature into a responsible man who finds his true love and wishes to marry her I would encourage him to ask the father out of respect.

TO be honest with you, this generation is so ****** up I have my doubts that (a) It would matter (b) The father would be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom