For reasons not related to boxing, why is Mike Tyson loved and Mayweather hated?

M Mark Antony brought this up in another thread....and it's a good point.

For all purposes (not related to boxing), Floyd Mayweather seems like a **** person. Media had a field day on him this week leading up to the fight. Going in on his past, his lifestyle, etc. I think more people were tuned in to the fight, hoping to see him lose. He's been on top of the boxing world for a minute, but he's as polarizing of an athlete that you can find in sports today.

That being said, it seems as though Mike Tyson has done about a 180. Appearances on Fallon, movie roles, broadway, etc. People can't get enough of him. Back in the day, you can make a case that his transgressions are far worse than what Floyd did.

How did this happen? Personally, I think a lot of the criticism directed at Floyd is warranted, but I think a lot of it is due to the fact that there is probably no way he'll fall off financially, and this just EATS at people.

Tyson doesn't have to play into that role anymore. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Tyson was loved because he was a run down boxer, heads up with it, floyd is a trap fighter as in he lets you play into his scheme, on the rope bob and weave then catch you with a quick hook. people look at that as being a cheater but he takes all the precautions to stay as healthy as possible. he also uses defense towards his offense

Tyson was loved because he was a run down boxer, heads up with it, floyd is a trap fighter as in he lets you play into his scheme, on the rope bob and weave then catch you with a quick hook. people look at that as being a cheater but he takes all the precautions to stay as healthy as possible. he also uses defense towards his offense

For reasons not related to boxing, why is Mike Tyson loved and Mayweather hated?

I respect Floyd for his stance that hes a hustler.

Besides everyone knows boxing fans are damn near bipolar when it comes to love/hate of thier favorite boxer.

People need to quit acting like Floyd has to be some kind of role model...no he doesn't owe anyone anything in America.

All this portrayal of him as some kind of materialistic money glorifying no morals villan is absurd.

Let that man live and get off his **** with the hating.

..^(but not related to boxing tho)

They dnt want to see Floyd shine because of his checkered past.. The fact that he beat his wife and can go home to 50 foreign cars and a personal chef eats at ppl..

He cool with me tho

Could care less what Floyd does outside the ring, honestly.

He had his day in court, it's in the past, he gave Pacquiao the hands and made off like a bandit, that's it.

If it matters, I hoped he gave Pacquiao those Rated E hands, and I was not disappointed.

Last edited:
Most people don't like arrogance. People really don't like when you're arrogant and filthy rich. People really REALLY don't like when you're arrogant, rich, and they can't do a damn thing about it :smokin

He just acts like a clown. If you truly hate the man you got issues. He can be annoying and isn't my favorite but that's all.

People like Tyson now because we all know he was robbed blind when he was boxing and all that come back stuff is cool??? I don't know that's my guess. Plus undisputed truth was great.

fighting style plus cockiness

Mayweather=boring to most casual fans.

Tyson like Pacquiao are KO fighters. They slug it out kinda like people would see in a street fight.

I like many like offense so thats why i dont follow mayweather.

Last edited:
#1 because Mike chilled all the way out from his prime years, so hes not the scary bad man that he used to be to mainstream america

#2 Now that Mike chilled out and is out of his prime and not this unbeatable black guy on the top of the world, he's had more chances to have his story told, whether through his documentary, his interviews, his one man show, etc. Now that people actually try to understand him he's looked at as more of a tragic figure. He also owns being a "piece of ****" in his younger days (his own words)

Floyd is still on top and he's too brash for his haters to even want to try to understand him. Add to that the fact that he legitimately has done some dirt bag **** to women and hasn't really ever shown remorse for it in the public eye, it's impossible for people to like him as much as Tyson right now.

Last edited:
I think Tyson sometimes gets the "oh he doesn't know any better" pass from most people and they don't hold against him as much

I respect Mayweather for getting his money and being an extremely smart fighter, but I just can't ignore that he beat women.

How can this thread promote a clear, unbiased conversation on reasons not related to boxing? :lol:

Everything these guys do in and outside the ring has something to do with boxing. Boxing is a way of life. Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, all these guys came from nothing to get what they have now because of boxing.

I think people love Tyson because he admits what he did wrong in his past and society is a forgiving place. Mayweather has never lost, so he has zero sympathy going his way because he only wins.

When you factor in what they did in boxing, that also impacts people's views on them. A lot of people don't like Mayweather because he doesn't attack opponents like Tyson did.

How can this thread promote a clear, unbiased conversation on reasons not related to boxing? :lol:

Everything these guys do in and outside the ring has something to do with boxing. Boxing is a way of life. Tyson, Mayweather, Pacquiao, all these guys came from nothing to get what they have now because of boxing.

I think people love Tyson because he admits what he did wrong in his past and society is a forgiving place. Mayweather has never lost, so he has zero sympathy going his way because he only wins.

When you factor in what they did in boxing, that also impacts people's views on them. A lot of people don't like Mayweather because he doesn't attack opponents like Tyson did.

Because people have a VERY hard time separating the person outside of the ring from the athlete in it. Simple as that.

It's exactly why there was so much unwarranted hate directed at Sherman after his Crabtree diss.

Mike had more charisma and dropped more jewels. In the ring he mauled his opponents and that's what the sick part of humans want to see. Floyd is arrogant but doesn't have charisma. I can't think of a time he genuinely made me laugh or dropped something profound. Everyone looks uncomfortable around him. Mike thought of himself as a piece of **** and people could empathize with him. No one really believed he raped that woman. He also spent all his money as fast as he made it. He was just too much of a train wreck for people to put the energy into hating him.

Floyd was born and bred to box. With his pedigree he was destined to have a great career. Mike was the black Rocky. Pure raw talent that was nurtured by an old white man. I love Mike because he is the worst and the best in a human. *wipes a single tear*

I dont keep up too much with what floyd does outside the ring (im just a casual boxing fan) but it seems the arrogance is what people dislike about him. Like I said in the other thread, people like Tiger and Jordan aren't looked at the same way so it's not just because "he's a rich black guy".

Easy

Black

Arrogant

Successful

Rich

Those four things in COMBINATION will create a lot of detractors

Ali was hated for the SAME reasons. Remember people, Ali wasn't always loved. White folks HATED him, from what I hear, especially after he "turned his back on good ole USA.:

Last edited:
Mike had more charisma and dropped more jewels. In the ring he mauled his opponents and that's what the sick part of humans want to see. Floyd is arrogant but doesn't have charisma. I can't think of a time he genuinely made me laugh or dropped something profound. Everyone looks uncomfortable around him. Mike thought of himself as a piece of **** and people could empathize with him. No one really believed he raped that woman. He also spent all his money as fast as he made it. He was just too much of a train wreck for people to put the energy into hating him.

Floyd was born and bred to box. With his pedigree he was destined to have a great career. Mike was the black Rocky. Pure raw talent that was nurtured by an old white man. I love Mike because he is the worst and the best in a human. *wipes a single tear*

So you like him because through all his success, he was a bit of a loser?

Easy

Black
Arrogant
Successful
Rich

Those four things in COMBINATION will create a lot of detractors

Ali was hated for the SAME reasons. Remember people, Ali wasn't always loved. White folks HATED him, from what I hear, especially after he "turned his back on good ole USA.:

Notice the trend of all these cocky negroes being thrown in jail at some point?

@Mark Antony brought this up in another thread....and it's a good point.

For all purposes (not related to boxing), Floyd Mayweather seems like a **** person. Media had a field day on him this week leading up to the fight. Going in on his past, his lifestyle, etc. I think more people were tuned in to the fight, hoping to see him lose. He's been on top of the boxing world for a minute, but he's as polarizing of an athlete that you can find in sports today.
To touch on this, you are ignoring the story telling aspect that had to be created to make this might as much of a blockbuster it needed to be. Villains are created by the media. Heros are created by the media.

From OTHER accounts, I hear Floyd is a good dude. Former WCW Wrestler Disco Inferno always talks about how great of a dude Floyd is. Especially when it comes to NT's favorite past-time, TIPPING. Floyd is known to look out for everyone he comes in contact with in a service position. Tipping folks crazy amounts of money just to LOOK OUT.

Also, Floyd is a business man. His job is to create a character. COmbat sports is all about creating characters. Floyd's character is the villain. So whenever he is on camera, he has to play up to that character.

So for you to say he seems like a **** in real life simply means he has done his job of making his character believable.

But if we are going to judge him on his "woman beating" that isn't fair. You can be a good person and still do messed up things. I am sure if all of our skeletons were put on the line, we all would be ashamed of some of the thing we have done. But we aren't famous, so folks don't get a chance to write us off FOR LIFE.

I don't know the dude, but to just label him as a bad PERSON (whole person) because of a few domestic abuse situations, not fair.

I am not saying I condone him hitting women. 

Back
Top Bottom