for the import lovers...a question?

Discussion in 'General' started by seasoned vet, Feb 23, 2009.

1. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

- im an old school american guy myself. ive always found the claim "no one wants american cars" laughable. but what has puzzled me for the few yearssince i found these, is why GM wont bring these cars over here?

- so to the import heads, this is a car GM produces overseas, is this car appealing to you? im honestly asking.

* 270 kW= 361 HP

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mangudai954

mangudai954

Isn't that a Holden? Looks like one. For year I always wondered why they wouldn't bring it over and finally they did. That car looks dope, I wonder ifit uses an LS.

3. lex rockhead

lex rockhead

Looks kinda like a civic. I'd cop. Btw is the NT bacground white for anyone else?

4. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

5. czur1127

czur1127

real dope.... n naw its regular for me

6. pntgio

pntgio

RWD? AWD? I'd need a little bit more info on the car to pass judgement but the car is pretty easy on the eyes. If it was a turbocharged V6 awd I could seeit passing the sti and maybe even evos.

7. mangudai954

mangudai954

That looks very nice and from the specs it definitely uses an LSx I wouldnt mind have that as my main car.

8. i3allistic

i3allistic

i dont think its about the looks of the car and performance, i agree some of the american cars look sweet, but its there quality and longevity of a americancar ...compare to a import

9. wickedxcl

wickedxcl

they tried it with the GTO and sales weren't that great...they are trying it again with the G8 and hopefully sales are good cause the G8 is a very nicelooking car...there was talk about an Impala SS using the same platform of the G8 which IMO would be very hot car...in order for GM to be competitive againstthe Imports in the car market, GM needs to keep Bob Lutz in charge of these decisions...

10. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

11. drjordanfreak88

drjordanfreak88

the first car posted in already marketed stateside as the Pontiac G8. Hell i just saw one in a parking lot earlier today while I was out in a dark marooncolor, very nice car [​IMG] But they should bring that caprice and rebrand it as a buick or chevy but not a cadillac cuz it'd probably be too costly to sellunder that brand. I just checked the epa gas mileage ratings for the G8 with either V8 and its pretty low at 13-15 mpg. With that said I hope they can sellwell here, cuz i know for sure they're very popular in the native market.

12. finnns2003

finnns2003

Lol, ask your precious american car company ceo's why they continue to make poor decisions. In the meantime, I'll keep riding in my evo, a car that isproven in both durability and tuning.

13. keepzdasneakz

keepzdasneakz

No, it doesn't use the LSX. It uses the LY7 engine. By the way there is an American version, look up the Pontiac G8 GT. There's a faster one out calledthe G8 GXP, though which uses the LS3. You're welcome.

[​IMG]

14. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

- wow. i guess someone didnt take the time to read the thread. NT [​IMG][​IMG] ,boy i tell you [​IMG] .

15. SVNTI

SVNTI

I really do like the styling of the G8.

16. finnns2003

finnns2003

17. theraygunz

theraygunz

That teal one looks like a Pontiac G8.

18. mangudai954

mangudai954

Ah, I see. I dont pay attention to American cars anymore

19. bananaboy2601

bananaboy2601

The new Malibu, Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, G8, Cruze, Volt, Enclave/Traverse, Solstice and current future developments look good. As well as Ford's entirelineup minus the Focus. It's about time the American automakers improved design and quality, the French and Italians are looking to re-enter the Americanmarket, as are the Chinese.

20. cadillacflow

cadillacflow

That Caprice up there is nice.

21. dirtylicious

dirtylicious Administrator

Although they're in the minority...there are a bunch of American cars that have some really nice styling..

What kills the US cars is the reliability that Japanese cars have.

22. cris77stan

cris77stan

Well first off nice post for noticing these cars

the cars you posted are actually GM brand cars although through another country Australia

the companies down under are Holden/Vauxhall and Opel is in Europe iirc

so with that said, the Holden Commodore / Pontiac G8 are they exact same cars. Which also does the underpinning (although a little shorter wheelbase) for thenew Camaro which should start production in a few weeks (March 2009)

same as the Holden Monaro Coupe / Pontiac GTO (not just a concept, it went into production from 2004-2006)

Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky / Opel GT

but to answer your question(s). yes i would buy 1 of these, currently waiting to see if GM does release a 6spd manual G8 GT later this year or early next year.

23. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

- thanks.

- so the question still remains, what's taking GM so long. that Caprice has been selling over there for 13 years! im sure the Commodore has had a similarrun over there as well. point being, im sure they have people on payroll to predict what the public wants. and if its so clear to the import heads over herewhy couldnt they get it?

24. drjordanfreak88

drjordanfreak88

I think there's a pretty good market for this type of car, considering that japanese and german automakers are constantly competing to offer more potentengines for their midsize cars. It just so happens that GM doesn't have the same brand reputation with these aussie imports yet like the germans andjapanese do with their established offerings. I think that G8 GT is a hell of a buy at that price point compared to other car makers. As far as the plastickyinterior comment, explain plasticky because I don't know any other automaker outside of premium brands that don't make extensive use of plastics. Whilethey may be of different grades of quality and used in different designs, its still plastic. Also you can't completely knock these cars that GM isrebranding, given that the chassis underpinnings are based of cars sold in markets all over the world and have been sold and established in those markets forsome time now so I don't think reliability should be that much of an issue if automakers are purposely using the same base for a multitude of modelsdepending on the brand. It just so happens that domestic auto makers are now introducing the fruits of their investments with foreign auto makers to thedomestic market so this should be a good thing as far as market variety...so I don't think this should be another opportunity for nay sayers to knockdomestics because of past brand image and (imo) garbage product. With all that said, I think Chrysler will tank first out of the big 3. Ford and GM should beok if they bring more of their world cars stateside to replace their current stagnant models.

25. broke on nikes

broke on nikes

That's a G8 pretty much, dude.
    I hear they're VERY responsive to mods too.
    The only thing they're missing is a manual transmission.

G8 is, hands down, the best looking American road car right now. Of course, I don't consider the Corvette Z06 or ZR1 very practical.