For those of you who don't....

Have a religion or believe in a higher power, was this something that you grew up with or was it a personal choice once you got older? If it was a personalchoice how did your families react?

I chose to go to church when I was younger. At about 15 I stopped, went back for a bit when I was 18... but I do not attend currently.

Family was cool with it. They are religious but allowed me to find my own way.

Personal choice. My family doesn't agree with me but they are still cool with it. They realized that theycan't force me and able to make up my own decisions.

Originally Posted by DMasta718

Personal choice. My family doesn't agree with me but they are still cool with it. They realized that they can't force me and able to make up my own decisions.

Well at least even though they don't agree, they aren't trying to force their beliefs into your lifestyle. That's good.

I was forced to go to church and believe in a jewish savior every since I can remember. The more I thought about what they were expecting me to believe, themore ridiculous it sounded

Personal choice.

but

my mom is really religious...active in the catholic church...reader and all that...at this filipino-predominant church that i grew up going to....

i dont believe in it anymore. reason: common sense.

but i do go to church every sunday for my mom really even if i dont have to.

they know that i dont believe but they just think im at the "lost" phase that they were "in" before....so i just let it slide like itis....

i dont think im gonna go to church when get older and have a family though

Something I grew up with. I'm baptized but haven't gone to church since I was 4.

Personal choice. My family doesn't agree with me but they are still cool with it. They realized that they can't force me and able to make up my own decisions.

pretty much

Food4Thought--I wanted to hear their side because I feel like society shoves religion down people's throats. I just was wondering about how they came tothe conclusion to not believe in God or higher power. Thanks for answering guys.

Personal choice. My family doesn't agree with me and they are not cool with it. but they are still cool with it. They realized that they can't force me and able to make up my own decisions.

Came to my own conclusion, it had been coming for a long time. After a while I just accepted not being Christian anymore. Moms was (and still is) worrying overit and we talk about it sometimes, but it doesn't really mess with our relationship. Haven't told my father for whatever reason.

my family was never religious
my parents believe in God, but never practiced any religion, but I come from a Muslim middle eastern background

after years of college and just gaining more understanding from courses on religious studies and Islam, I came to my own conclusions

I believe all the holy books are fictional fairy tales that are meant to teach humans how to act and behave towards each other to avoid chaos.

I believe man created religion and it's an unnecessary intermediary between a person and his/her beliefs.

religion gets in the way of a very personal relationship

I believe in science and logic, I don't believe in fairytales

If someone came to us today and said they spoke to God in a cave or is the son of God, we would all think this was some lunatic nut job and we would label hisfollowers a cult

but since this happened thousands of years ago (supposedly), it gets creedance as a mystical and very believable occurence

people take religion too literally ALL the time, it's sad

basically, people are scared to die. This is the age-old innate fear we have. To alleviate some of this fear, we believe we will go to a heaven or that thereis an after-life.

It's all BS. there is no heaven, no hell.....nothing. you just die. you're done. that's what I believe.

the concept of heaven and hell makes people strive to act good and not hurt others in order to make it to heaven, and that makes the earth a better place. Iunderstand that concept and I think it is a good idea.

but logically, I don't believe in a heaven or hell or a god or not eating a certain food or anything else in any holy book.

when i was younger i never went to church. a few years ago my friend invited me to go to his church to play basketball after service. as time went on i startedattending the services and to be honest its the best decision i've made. since i've had god in my life i feel more complete and feel like theres moreto life than making money, supporting a family and dying. Im happy to serve the lord. and i respect that some people on NT don't agree with the Christianfaith but its all good. everyone deserves an opinion. its what makes human.

My family was never religious but I went to a Catholic school.

Had to goto church when they went etc, etc.

I followed all the little rituals (wasn't a choice), and as I got older and started thinking for myself, it just seemed more and more foolish to me.

Guess you could say I was too young to understand faith.
...Or too grown to believe in magic.

Personal choice. I grew up going to mass every Sunday, parents were religious however weren't fanatics. As I graduated high school and went on to highereducation, I started studying the topic of religion much more and why people needed it in their life. I no longer subscribe to religion or the belief of aheaven or hell. I am not an atheist though because I do believe there is something that is much bigger than us.

Originally Posted by AmberElise04

Originally Posted by eight2one

I just dont believe there is a higher power.....why would I?
That's kinda what I was askin lol

grin.gif
.....I just dont believe there is a god, allah, buddah....I dont need abook to tell me how to live my life. And don't even get me started on the church structure......

I was just never raised in an environment that tried to tell me how to live my life. Which was weird, because I used to live in Florida.

Anyways, I do believe that there is something more divine than humans, but at the same time I dont believe it's represented correctly through modernorganized religions, and all the hypocrisy that comes with them.

Back
Top Bottom