For those that live in "Tornado Alley", how do you do it?

Just hearing the sirens on this video gives me the chills. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night during tornado season.

Houses in this area must run you like 50k for a 3 family home with a pool....that ishh is wild.

My home state (Alabama ) isn't part of tornado alley, but from a young age you know WAAAY more than the average person about weather. lol you also are much more likely to pay attention to what is going on. Also some parts of town you just won't live in due to being repeatedly and massively hit.

Just part of life. Every where you live there is some weather occurrence or natural disaster that is a threat.

West Coast - Earthquakes
Gulf Coast/East Coast - Hurricanes
Midwest - Tornadoes

Up north really only has to deal with blizzards and snow storms right?

As a kid I was scared whenever the sirens go off or you see a tornado warning/watch for your area. But as you mature you learn more about the weather and what storms are doing and you prepare yourself. You definitely don't sleep at night if there are severe storms going on.

They don't happen everyday. Sans for when you get tornado-geddon EF5 ones like this weekend, which was the worst since 99, they're not that big of a deal really. A lot of the time, when people hear it's a tornado watch in their area, they go sit on their porch and see if they can see it.

Last edited:
Dude on Adam Carolla today is actually from there, and gave an interesting analogy. He said imagine if someone gave a person in Los Angeles a ten-minute heads up that there'd be an earthquake. Considering how most earthquakes are just minor tremblors that you can't even feel, he said you'd probably just play the odds that it's not the second-coming of the Northridge quake. He said it's the same thing with tornadoes. There are lots of tornadoes, but the majority are equivalent to tremors, and do no damage and nobody really notices them (except the people who track that stuff).

I dont know but my instincts if I was to ever live in such areas is to drive as far away and fast as possible the opposite direction. Yes my property will probably be destoyed but i'd hop in my car and bounce.

I dont ever wish a Tornado on anyone but I always wanted to see one up close, to bad we don't get them out here in New England often

I dont know but my instincts if I was to ever live in such areas is to drive as far away and fast as possible the opposite direction. Yes my property will probably be destoyed but i'd hop in my car and bounce.

I dont ever wish a Tornado on anyone but I always wanted to see one up close, to bad we don't get them out here in New England often

People who have said that to me, and then saw one, regret it. It's horrifying, especially if it is hitting an area close by. Give me a hurricane ANY DAY of the week.

Last place you want to be is on the interstate driving during an EF5 that is described as over a mile wide and produced winds around 170mph and dropped debris as far as Brandon MIssouri (250 miles away), plus it rains so hard/fast you can barely see anyways, not conducive enough to driving fast. You're much safer somewhere inside.

If it's a normal tornado, you just pull over under an overpass and wait.

The movie Twister got me shook as a child
laugh.gif
. A tornado is probably the scariest natural disaster to me

Last place you want to be is on the interstate driving during an EF5 that is described as over a mile wide and produced winds around 170mph and dropped debris as far as Brandon MIssouri (250 miles away), plus it rains so hard/fast you can barely see anyways, not conducive enough to driving fast. You're much safer somewhere inside.

Yeah a guy was killed because of the debris about 100 miles away. :smh:

We deal with the tornados, but in most cases you have a warning, especially with the smartphones. My iPhone started going nuts when that OKC system came my way.

Yeah a guy was killed because of the debris about 100 miles away. :smh:

We deal with the tornados, but in most cases you have a warning, especially with the smartphones. My iPhone started going nuts when that OKC system came my way.

What app do you use? I'm looking to get a good one myself. Weather Channel won't send text alerts to T-Mobile or Sprint customers :smh:

Last edited:
I heard, besides of course the dangers of the wind and debris etc, that one of the worst things during a tornado besides the roaring - is the smell? Is this true? Like just a smell of pure garbage all over the place?

Last edited:

That has been debated and I think most tornado experts advise against doing this now.  Not sure if they're talking about pulling over in a car or getting up underneath the overpass on the ledge closest to the "ceiling" of the overpass though.  

This video is crazy though--in a matter of minutes that tornado went from EF-1 to an EF-5 monster.  Scary.  

Water Tornados out here in New England are enough of a visual for me

No thanks

That has been debated and I think most tornado experts advise against doing this now.  Not sure if they're talking about pulling over in a car or getting up underneath the overpass on the ledge closest to the "ceiling" of the overpass though.  

This video is crazy though--in a matter of minutes that tornado went from EF-1 to an EF-5 monster.  Scary.  

Yea I have heard both, also heard get out of the car and go lay in a ditch (the lowest point). **** that.

By the way to the dude who said he;d drive away from it, dumbass meteorologist went on tv and told everybody get off 35 and go South away from it and now they got standstill traffic on the interstate with 2 tornadoes passing over. I hope dude gets fired. Luckily it's not an f4-5 like they thought. Dudes are swimming down there, saw some pics from my friends on fb

View media item 436049

Last edited:
Earth City, Mi Holiday Inn was leveled, "mass casualties" reported. I heard 2 in OKC today, a mother and childs car flipped off the road.

BREAKING: Fans are trapped under debris at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, MO according to local news sources - @breakingweather

edit: now they're calling it no casualties at Holiday Inn

In OKC near Walker, been disastrous for them the last few weeks and they got a major multiple vortex one right now

View media item 436145View media item 436146View media item 436147
Earlier today

Last edited:

SMH dudes crazy driving through that tornado, I wouldve been ******** bricks around the 2:00 part

I'm thankful most of the houses in Florida were built for hurricanes, nothing can stop a tornado taking off a house though :smh:

Back
Top Bottom