For You Religious Folks: Do You Feel Guilty When Stealing Music/Movies Online?

Nothing to do with religion, but I don't feel guilty at all about downloading music or movies. When I see these fools on countless Forbes' lists andseeing how much they get paid for ONE movie that's all the convincing I need.

I go to the movies a ton so actors are still getting my money, I only download so I can watch again before the DVD comes out without going to the theater. Butmusic wise I only buy from my favorite artists everything else gets D/L'd.

The problem isn't with the consumer, it's with the people in the industry who get a hold of it and leak it out.

I bump this question for two reasons

1. I want to hear more answers
2. ^ Because Me and a couple of folks were discussing this at a cookout. Some "religious" folks don't think it is a big of a deal and say it isn't really stealing. But they couldn't explain how it wasn't stealing.

Open.....

Downloading isn't illegal
grin.gif

Therefore...it isn't stealing
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

How the hell is it stealing if you download it?

Your question just...sucks.

Then you threw in religion just for the heck of it.
laugh.gif

Not at all. I used to LOVE AudioGalaxy when it was out for a minute. Used to get all the songs from there.

Originally Posted by Jsmilez

napster? winmx? limwire? step your pirating game up, b.
laugh.gif
Yea you are right, if I were still using those things I would need to step it up.

So people really think that downloading isn't considered stealing? Interesting. I wonder if you dudes are serious with that.

What does religion have to do with it?

Can't a person have a moral compass without religion? I mean you can argue that religion tells you what is wrong and right, but can't a person sense wrong and right without religion? Non-religious people don't kill people everyday. Yeah, it's against our laws to kill people, but would non-religious people do it even if it wasn't against the law?

Nah

I am religious, and I steal music and movies. And I'm not gonna give you an explanation as to why I do and I'm not gonna try and justify it. Yes, all sins are equal in my God's eyes, but I still can't seem to equate murder with stealing. The ramifications of stealing music and movies are less than other sins, at least in my eyes. The amount of money I save on movies and music every year helps me feed another vice of mine, buying too many shoes. And other things not necessary for me. Yeah, material possessions distract me from my religion. Yeah, I'm working on it, but not nearly as hard as I should be.

*Waits for non-religious person to attack me for not being 100% committed to my religion & respond that I can't pick and choose what I believe and do*

I thought the internet was made for that.

one of the thingd the internet is really good for is that... I don't know any different. I still buy Cd's but buying online seems like a rip off

Stealing music would be me walking into FYE and taking CD's.

Downloading is just... downloading, at least IMO.

I'm sure there's people that will see it differently, but whatever.

The only reason I DL music is to preview the album anyway, if its good music I'll support.

Come on man its not like they are starving artists...they have way too much money as it is. I think they'll be ok

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

Can't a person have a moral compass without religion? I mean you can argue that religion tells you what is wrong and right, but can't a person sense wrong and right without religion? Non-religious people don't kill people everyday. Yeah, it's against our laws to kill people, but would non-religious people do it even if it wasn't against the law?

Nah

I am religious, and I steal music and movies. And I'm not gonna give you an explanation as to why I do and I'm not gonna try and justify it. Yes, all sins are equal in my God's eyes, but I still can't seem to equate murder with stealing. The ramifications of stealing music and movies are less than other sins, at least in my eyes. The amount of money I save on movies and music every year helps me feed another vice of mine, buying too many shoes. And other things not necessary for me. Yeah, material possessions distract me from my religion. Yeah, I'm working on it, but not nearly as hard as I should be.

*Waits for non-religious person to attack me for not being 100% committed to my religion & respond that I can't pick and choose what I believe and do*

Nah i respect what you saying, but i mean you were pretty much hypocritical in every arguement you made. But i except that simply because most religious ppl practice/live/eat/sleep hypocracy. But saying damn what my god says i feel stealing is ok so long as it saves me money on shoes(shoes that are made from sweatshop/slavery labor no doubt) so i can seem fly envy of other guys. There is some sort of religious sin in those actions as well.

But nah stealing is stealing and killing is killing the way i see it and so do many religions. Stealing 500 bucks is no different then stealing 500,000. And killing a kid in a driveby, isnt any different then killing someone by vehicular homicide.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

When God stops being an #%%+@@$ I'll start giving a %$#@ about his rules again.

indifferent.gif

i bet you blame God for your problems.
I bet you blame the Devil for all your problems and give God all the credit when things work out positively for you.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Well isn't this technically stealing

Thou shall not steal is a sin in the Christian doctrine.
Technically, it isnt stealing. Technically, its pirating. Its most comparable to counterfeiting in the sense that you make a copy of another person. The definition of stealing is always - to take another person's property without their consent (or smth along those lines). Youre not taking anything in this sense, youre making copies and distributing the copies.

Is it wrong, yeah. Is it stealing, technically not. Its pirating.

Edit: I've reconsidered and I've changed my mind. It is stealing. It is a violation of intellectual property rights. Once you take a step back from the actual end product (ie, music or movies) and examine what is actually being stolen, its the idea. The idea of the track or the movie is being taken without the creator's permission. The right being violated here is the right to property. It just seems a little more ambiguous because its intellectual property.

Well isn't this technically stealing

Thou shall not steal is a sin in the Christian doctrine.
Technically, it isnt stealing. Technically, its pirating. Its most comparable to counterfeiting in the sense that you make a copy of another person. The definition of stealing is always - to take another person's property without their consent (or smth along those lines). Youre not taking anything in this sense, youre making copies and distributing the copies.

Is it wrong, yeah. Is it stealing, technically not. Its pirating.

Edit: I've reconsidered and I've changed my mind. It is stealing. It is a violation of intellectual property rights. Once you take a step back from the actual end product (ie, music or movies) and examine what is actually being stolen, its the idea. The idea of the track or the movie is being taken without the creator's permission. The right being violated here is the right to property. It just seems a little more ambiguous because its intellectual property.

I support the artists I like by buying their cds, but most of my music is either old or foreign, so I don't think the money will actually go to the artists, also i like my music lossless, so i can't do itunes etc. Also you can buy music for pennies off amazon and music stores or even borrow them from the library, which are pretty much legal and the money still doesn't go to the artist.

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

Nah

Nah i respect what you saying, but i mean you were pretty much hypocritical in every arguement you made. But i except that simply because most religious ppl practice/live/eat/sleep hypocracy. But saying damn what my god says i feel stealing is ok so long as it saves me money on shoes(shoes that are made from sweatshop/slavery labor no doubt) so i can seem fly envy of other guys. There is some sort of religious sin in those actions as well.

But nah stealing is stealing and killing is killing the way i see it and so do many religions. Stealing 500 bucks is no different then stealing 500,000. And killing a kid in a driveby, isnt any different then killing someone by vehicular homicide.

This thread is deeper than most people think.......
laugh.gif
. Downloading music is the moral equivalent of stealing money from a ladies purse. And that is not me being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

When God stops being an #%%+@@$ I'll start giving a %$#@ about his rules again.

indifferent.gif

i bet you blame God for your problems.
I bet you blame the Devil for all your problems and give God all the credit when things work out positively for you.
indifferent.gif

ouch so cut and and dry
laugh.gif

This thread is deeper than most people think.......
laugh.gif
. Downloading music is the moral equivalent of stealing money from a ladies purse. And that is not me being sarcastic.
Man, am I missing something? Are we to the point that people don't consider getting FREE movies and music stealing anymore? Come on people how are you all flipping this?
laugh.gif

It is CLEARLY stealing. How is it not?
laugh.gif

So since it is NOT stealing, God is cool with it. I didn't expect you to totally discredit it from being stealing. Wow
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom