For You Religious Folks: Do You Feel Guilty When Stealing Music/Movies Online?

I don't care in the least bit about downloading music or movies. On the music side, I know yall see how many artists themselves post links to their own work on Twitter for us to download so why should I pay for it? I buy what I like, if your music is good enough I'll support (Jay, Outkast, Eminem, Lupe, Clipse, Nas).

Now on the movies side, I go to the theaters damn near twice a month, they're getting plenty of my money. Plus actors get paid regardless of how well the movie does. If I liked a movie and don't wanna wait forever for the DVD to come out, I'll download a bootleg as soon as a clear one becomes available. #kanyeshrug, they shoulda never invented high speed internet or torrents
laugh.gif

Like I said earlier in the thread, don't blame the consumers, blame the workers in the industry who leak the original work out there for us.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

This thread is deeper than most people think.......
laugh.gif
. Downloading music is the moral equivalent of stealing money from a ladies purse. And that is not me being sarcastic.
Man, am I missing something? Are we to the point that people don't consider getting FREE movies and music stealing anymore? Come on people how are you all flipping this?
laugh.gif

It is CLEARLY stealing. How is it not?
laugh.gif

So since it is NOT stealing, God is cool with it. I didn't expect you to totally discredit it from being stealing. Wow
laugh.gif

This train of thought was developed by the views of current western society. The govt/laws base wrongs on what they feel is the worse of two evils. Ironically enough its so called pricinpals and motto is "one nation under god" yet it contridicts for the most part what god and the bible teaches. Ppl nowadays moral conscious is well, if i didnt physically hurt/kill someone. I didnt endanger someones life, i didnt cheat on someone, then all is fair play for the most part so long as i dont get caught.

But their logic is, "Artists are paid out the _ _ _ without me buying their CDs." I am mad they can run to that justification. Understandable yet still invalid.

Where are my real religious dudes on here. RKO, where are you man.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif
. Downloading music is the moral equivalent of stealing money from a ladies purse. And that is not me being sarcastic.
Man, am I missing something? Are we to the point that people don't consider getting FREE movies and music stealing anymore? Come on people how are you all flipping this?
laugh.gif

It is CLEARLY stealing. How is it not?
laugh.gif

So since it is NOT stealing, God is cool with it. I didn't expect you to totally discredit it from being stealing. Wow
laugh.gif

I'm like wth as well. I mean you're taking an artist's work, which on his terms will only give to you for a price or exchange of some sorts, without adhering to his terms? You can't say you don't like his terms because its his production. You're bypassing the guidelines. How is this not theft? I don't get it. Whether you care is an entirely different subject, which I think DC was trying to get at before people tried to justify that these acts weren't stealing. I don't get it.

laugh.gif
noit's not. when you steal money from a lady's purse, she is worse offfinancially than she was before you stole the money. when you downloadmusic, the artist becomes no worse off financially afterwards. it wouldbe a huge jump to assume that EVERYONE who DL's music would just buy itif DL'ing wasn't an option.

a lot of people who download music, including myself, wouldn't haveeven half of the music they do if they had to pay for it.. i justcouldn't afford it.
through music downloading, people can enjoy music that they wouldn'thave been able to access otherwise. in return, they provide additionalpromotion to the artist. that extra promotion can be consideredequal to the value of the artist's intellectual property, possibly even more valuable.

Originally Posted by DT43

a lot of people who download music, including myself, wouldn't haveeven half of the music they do if they had to pay for it.. i justcouldn't afford it.
through music downloading, people can enjoy music that they wouldn'thave been able to access otherwise. in return, they provide additionalpromotion to the artist. that extra promotion can be consideredequal to the value of the artist's intellectual property, possibly even more valuable.
Are you willing to use the, "People can enjoy something that they wouldn't have been able to access/afford otherwise" logic when it comes to other items or is it just convenient for you to use that in THIS situation to justify you stealing?

Let's try.

If you steal ONE lobster from the grocery store, essentially the grocery store is not losing much of anything from that "transaction." If someone living well below the poverty line does this, is it cool because they wouldn't have ever been able to enjoy it since they couldn't afford it? Or are you going to find a way to refute this analogy because it isn't convenient for you?

How about these?

What about stealing dirt from a construction site?
What about stealing pens/pencils from work?
What about stealing a cup from a fast food restaurant and filling it up with water?
What about taking register's tape from behind a Wal-Mart cashier's desk to use on your calculator at home?

ALL of these things aren't making the owner any less poorer than before, yet they are steal examples of STEALING.

So I guess all of these are ok as well right? Or is stealing music different because you don't physically have to grab anything? Maybe that is what it is. RIght? Huh?

I just want consistency from people's arguments. That is all.

Originally Posted by DT43

laugh.gif
no it's not. when you steal money from a lady's purse, she is worse off financially than she was before you stole the money. when you download music, the artist becomes no worse off financially afterwards. it would be a huge jump to assume that EVERYONE who DL's music would just buy it if DL'ing wasn't an option.

a lot of people who download music, including myself, wouldn't have even half of the music they do if they had to pay for it.. i just couldn't afford it.
through music downloading, people can enjoy music that they wouldn't have been able to access otherwise. in return, they provide additional promotion to the artist. that extra promotion can be considered equal to the value of the artist's intellectual property, possibly even more valuable.

LOL there are artists who don't need the extra promotion of having millions of people download their songs dude. Up and coming artists support this, an overexposed MTV popstars literally reaps no benefits from having their music downloaded on the internet.

What is your argument for free download of movies?

Originally Posted by patsilog55

artists dont make money from record sales anyways. hence download festival.

The hell?

Of course they make money from record sales. Depending on how "big" they are the percentage changes but they do indeed profit from the sales of their music.

Dude used a weak argument. The best argument for "it's not stealing" is the intellectual property versus tangible property argument, as somebody graphically documented in a post earlier. I'm not religious, so I couldn't give less than a %!%% though. I stay on Filestube, although some occasions I will pirate something then go ahead and buy it afterwards just to support the creator. IMO, it just isn't nearly the magnitude of wrongdoing as if I actually stole something physical from someone.

ae315aef811210dddbafa138ef125bd482d993a.jpg

I can understand people not feeling guilty but fundamentally this is stealing. People are taking the Robin Hood approach to this.

I'am ROBIN HOOD when it comes to music. 
pimp.gif
  <"...Check out my hat yo, peep the way I wear it..."

But you could use the Robin Hood logic when stealing from just about any major corporation? Which people do. (Stealing and the justification part)

Originally Posted by Manglor

Originally Posted by patsilog55

artists dont make money from record sales anyways. hence download festival.

The hell?

Of course they make money from record sales. Depending on how "big" they are the percentage changes but they do indeed profit from the sales of their music.
well of course they get paid something. but what i meant was that artists now adays realize that the consumer is going to download music illegally and theres nothing they can do about it. so they promote shows and merch. this is where the bulk of their money comes from.
but you do have a point. depending on how the "big" the artist is determines the money made from the record. but not everyone in gonna drop a carter 3 and move a million units in the first week. or at all for that matter.

DCAllAmerican wrote:
Are you willing to use the, "People can enjoy something that they wouldn't have been able to access/afford otherwise" logic when it comes to other items or is it just convenient for you to use that in THIS situation to justify you stealing?

Let's try.

If you steal ONE lobster from the grocery store, essentially the grocery store is not losing much of anything from that "transaction." If someone living well below the poverty line does this, is it cool because they wouldn't have ever been able to enjoy it since they couldn't afford it? Or are you going to find a way to refute this analogy because it isn't convenient for you?

How about these?

What about stealing dirt from a construction site?
What about stealing pens/pencils from work?
What about stealing a cup from a fast food restaurant and filling it up with water?
What about taking register's tape from behind a Wal-Mart cashier's desk to use on your calculator at home?

ALL of these things aren't making the owner any less poorer than before, yet they are steal examples of STEALING.

So I guess all of these are ok as well right? Or is stealing music different because you don't physically have to grab anything? Maybe that is what it is. RIght? Huh?

I just want consistency from people's arguments. That is all.

ae315aef811210dddbafa138ef125bd482d993a.jpg

^Seems like a cop-out and semantics to me. You stole that copy from the artist. He reserved the right to hold that copy from you until you paid him or w/e the terms are. It's his intellectual property.

Patronage through buying merch and going to shows> buying "intellectual property". The arts have been bastardized by capitalism anywho
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

^Seems like a cop-out and semantics to me. You stole that copy from the artist. He reserved the right to hold that copy from you until you paid him or w/e the terms are. It's his intellectual property.

i'm saying dudes in here splitting hairs to justify their wrongs.

Artist A goes into the studio. makes said music. he produces a copy of the said music in album form for sale in store or digitally.  but we then go to ____ to download it.

you are taking $10 bucks from the company that employs him and some pennies that to go the artist.

its stealing. quit kidding yourself.

This whole calling downloading "stealing" is all based on lost profits. What proof do they have that without the downloads that they would make that profit? they seem to target poor people in these suits, ie broke college students. As a broke college student back in the day, i was more likely to go without if i couldn't download than purchasing, i was thinking of my next meal.

Originally Posted by roc4life24

Artist A goes into the studio. makes said music. he produces a copy of the said music in album form for sale in store or digitally.  but we then go to ____ to download it.

you are taking $10 bucks from the company that employs him and some pennies that to go the artist.

No.

The person who illegal distributed it onto the internet stole or pirated it. Not the individual who downloads it.

Truthfully, a better word instead of 'stealing' could have been used to describe this. Downloading doesn't mean stealing.

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

No.

The person who illegal distributed it onto the internet stole or pirated it. Not the individual who downloads it.

Truthfully, a better word instead of 'stealing' could have been used to describe this. Downloading doesn't mean stealing.

This is more semantics. So the dude that uploaded is the only one in the wrong. He forced you to download that album? You had no idea what you were doing? You made the conscientious decision, knowing that your act would give you music for free that should be paid for. Why are you trying to coat this? I admit it's stealing; I just don't have guilt. These justifications are crazy.

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

No.

well in many cases, as you know, albums leak aka the label did it.
laugh.gif

i understand the technicality of which you are saying however. but..

but taking someone's property and thoughts is stealing. we take the music knowing its for sale by said artist. This isnt some uptopia where artist just throw out music and not expect compensation.

definition of stealing:

intransitive verb 1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice

its wrong and we know it.

Back
Top Bottom