Ford Mustang - 2021 Mach-E - ElectriC Mustang SUV

Specs revealed

The 2015 Ford Mustang sounds great so far – at least on paper. Ford has just announced specs for the latest version of the iconic pony car in Dearborn, telling Autoblog that it will pump out as much as 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque from its 5.0-liter V8.

Those gaudy figures power the naturally aspirated GT model, and they easily eclipse the "more than" 420 hp and 390 lb-ft that Ford originally estimated.

The 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder makes 310 hp and 320 lb-ft, and it's the first turbo Mustang since the 1986 SVO.

The 3.7-liter V6, which has by default become the entry-level model, is rated at 300 hp and 280 lb-ft. Power is down slightly from 2014's output of 305 hp to slot the naturally aspirated six-cylinder below the EcoBoost four banger.

The Mustang will start at $24,425, including destination charges, when it goes on sale later this year.

Ford significantly redesigned the Mustang for 2015. It has a new suspension featuring an independent rear setup, beefier brakes, an upgraded infotainment system with MyFord Touch and more interior space. It's all wrapped in sleeker styling that accentuates its fastback silhouette and improves aerodynamics while still channeling the appearance of the original 1960s pony car.

Meanwhile, fears that the Mustang's new technologies would result in a significant weight gain were overstated. According to a Ford slide shown at the Dearborn presentation, the lightest model is the EcoBoost four-cylinder with an automatic transmission, which checks in with a base curb weight of 3,524 pounds. That's only 28 pounds heavier than last year's lightest model, the V6 with a manual.

The rest of the lineup is similarly trim. The base curb weight of the 2015 V6 fastback with a six-speed manual transmission is 3,526 pounds, a 30-pound increase from the 2014 model. A V6 with an automatic is 3,530 pounds (up just 12 pounds), followed by the EcoBoost with a manual (3,532 pounds).

The GT packed on 87 pounds, and now weighs 3,705, and the GT with an automatic gained 54 pounds to now weigh 3,729 pounds.

Ford product chief Raj Nair said the focus was on the power-to-weight-ratio (11.36 pounds per hp for the lightest EcoBoost, 8.52 pounds per hp for the GT) and called the new generation "the greatest, most advanced performing Mustang we've ever done."

As we've noted, these performance figures are even better than Ford (albeit conservatively) projected. But if they aren't enough to quicken your pulse, sit tight. Ford's Special Vehicles Team is hard at work on something that promises to be still more menacing. Stay tuned.

12/03/13 Update:

10/17/13 Update:

Ford to unveil 2015 Mustang next week, maybe

Ford's all-new 2015 Mustang is nearly here – the Dearborn-based automaker announced via invites this week that it will unveil the redone pony car at a press event next week.

The 2015 Mustang will be the first all-new version of the pony car since the introduction of the 2005 model. The 2015 update will bring a host of changes, such as a lighter curb weight, more modern styling and an independent rear suspension.

Unfortunately for the general public, the press event will be under a strict embargo, meaning most people will have to wait to see the car until its official unveiling in December. However, embargoes aren't always iron-clad, so it's possible images and details could leak out early.

While we'll have to wait for to see for sure, the 2015 is said to be styled after the Evos concept with a few historical design cues tied in. We've also heard that an EcoBoost four-cylinder with around 350 horsepower will be offered as a step-up to the car's standard 3.7L V6. A 5.0L V8 with 450 horsepower will also be on offer.

Ford will officially lift the veil on the 2015 Mustang in December, with its first public appearance scheduled for the 2014 Detroit auto show. The 2015 Ford Mustang will arrive in dealer showrooms next summer.

Ford riding that Aston look. 

ivxves.jpg

li3ch.jpg

Is this the 2015 Ford Mustang? Close to it, at least that's what a Ford insider told us recently. Set to be released about two years from now on its 50th anniversary, the 2015 Mustang will be much closer to a "world car" than any Mustang before it. 

What does that mean exactly? Well, obviously it means this Mustang will be exported to markets outside the U.S., but more importantly, it means that the next-generation Mustang will evolve into a performance car for varying tastes. 

For one, it will be smaller in many ways. Most other markets prefer sports cars with a little less metal and a few more curves. That means a sleeker, less bulky Mustang that should weigh less and cheat the wind better. The Evos concept was a hint of that look, but we were assured that the current Mustang's long hood/short deck proportions will remain along with several signature Mustang design cues like rear-quarter windows and triple-lens taillamps.

Another big change will arrive out back. After years of making the most of the Mustang's straight axle rear end, the Mustang will finally move to an independent setup. This will go down much better with European customers who are used to the precise feel of fully independent rear suspension setups. It will still do just fine on the drag strip, though, along with improved manners at tracks with turns. 

There will be less drastic changes under the hood as most of the current Mustang's offerings will likely carryover, at least initially. Ford may eventually switch the Mustang's base engine to a turbocharged four-cylinder that delivers better mileage and nearly the same horsepower as the current V6. From there, the current 5.0 V8 will remain in place so the Mustang's performance credentials are in good hands. 

Expect to see the official unveil of the 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang at the 2014 New York Auto Show.

Last edited:
I saw the new Taurus and it has the Aston style grill, too....I don't necessarily like it but if it performs well, all will be forgiven

Tough! I hope they use stock wheels that match the design, not some boring 5 spokes.

My 99 mustang has 113,000 and is still running strong. Hopefully she can hold out until 2015, bc this looks mean!

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

the whole damn ford line up looks european. no originality.
Originally Posted by 18th letter

still a ford, pass.
yes and yes
 it looks very sexy but it is screaming European. 

just waiting on how chevy will respond to this ..
smokin.gif

wink.gif

screams European because the designer used to work for Aston Martin
laugh.gif

Cool to see some Turbo-Stangs again.

Styling looks nice, but too much like an AM. I like the new body language for the rest of the Ford line, but personally wish they left the Mustang with a more traditional look. 

Can someone photoshop a black on black model ?

Right when I graduate. I'll add this to the list of possible cars I wanna get once I get my degree

Back
Top Bottom