...Former U.S. Subic Bay Naval Station...good place to visit?...

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1989, the United States closed more than 480 military bases worldwide including 6 in the Philippines. Clark Air ForceBase was not on the hit list of the US Senate Base Closure and Realignment Commission but Mt Pinatubo ended the presence of the US Air Force in thePhilippines. Subic Bay meanwhile was rebuilt from damage caused by the volcano only to be shut down a couple of years later with the Philippine Government notapproving an extention contract for the US Navy. The State of California alone lost 30+ military bases. I've worked at 3 of these former bases turned overto the Federal Government.

Anyways, I've been to Camp John Hay in Baguio City several times from the late 80s to the early 90s. I lived just outside of Baguio for a short time whenmy Dad was in the Philippine military. Camp John Hay and the surrounding areas were great places to go back then, but my latest visit 2 years ago was somethingdifferent. John Hay no longer had scenic views, too many gift shops with a lot of other new structures built, and even the Officer's Club even being torndown. I thought about going to Subic and check out the beaches and the natural environment. I really dont care about Malls (if there are any in there) andshopping areas, I'm more into nature scenes. I mean I live up in Northern California and I visit Yosemite National Park a lot where there are great viewsof waterfalls and mountains and rivers. Are there any great outdoor activities out in Subic? and the best place or hotel to stay overnight? Everytime I'mhome in the Philippines, I usually stay in the province...masmasarap ang hangin at mas fresco. And I only travel to Manila to visit relatives.

check this out: http://www.travelph.com/resorts/Subic/ This website shows what activities you can do inSubic.

If you wanna check out beaches & nature scenes I suggest going to:

Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte
Anawangin, Zambales
Capones Island, Zambales

If you're into watersports, CAMSUR wakeboarding complex in Camarines Sur is a good spot. Surfing is off-season, sea is flat.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte

saw that on TFC, someone was saying that place is much better and cleaner that Boracay....supposedly Pagudpud is the #1 beach in the Philippines.

Originally Posted by MightyMYT

Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte

saw that on TFC, someone was saying that place is much better and cleaner that Boracay....supposedly Pagudpud is the #1 beach in the Philippines.

yeah coz its not yet highly commercialized unlike Boracay.. not so many tourists as well.. only problem beach is uneven, there are sudden drops that are toodeep.. so non-swimmers beware.. besides that, the place is still great
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom