Former USC WR Mike Williams: NFL Comeback player of the year?

rm2_6077-nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

There were no injuries to point to. No excuses, either. Williams managed 44 receptions in his three pro seasons — not what anyone imagined after he caught 176 passes in two seasons for USC.

The 6-foot-5 Williams reportedly weighed as much as 270 pounds with Tennessee. Now at 230, he's proving to be a big-bodied receiver who just might be capable of contributing to a rebuilding team.

RENTON, Wash. — Is this right?

"It's actually two pounds off," a sweaty�Mike Williams
, just finished from the practice field, tells a visitor�
holding a�
Seattle Seahawks�roster that lists the wide�
receiver at 6-5, 235.

He checked into camp at 233 pounds.

"That might not matter to most people," he says, "but�
two pounds makes a difference."

At one point in 2008, during a disastrous foray with�
his third NFL team, the�
Tennessee Titans, Williams�
tipped the scales at 270. Too big. Too slow. Too�
sloppy. That he carried the weight of a tight end or�
linebacker was merely the first impression of much�g
one wrong.�

PHOTOS:�Seahawks training camp

Now he's lean again, looking and performing like�
the receiver who came of Southern California in�
2005 as a top-ten draft pick rather than a man cast�
for�
The Biggest Loser.

Williams, reunited with his college coach,�Pete�
Carroll
, is one of the most intriguing storylines in�
Seahawks camp with his make-or-break comeback�
attempt.

"I can do what my mind pictured for myself, the way�
I want to look and run," says Williams, 26, whose�
outstanding start to training camp follows his stellar�
work in OTA sessions. "How I picture myself, I can�
apply that and actually do it, as opposed to being a�
little heavier and not being able to cut as much."

It apparently took three teams, three failures and two�
years of unemployment for Williams to realize that�
he was blowing his considerable talent. Yet the diet�
– he says he's eliminated fried foods, sweets and�
sodas, while significantly cutting back on red meat,�
breads and pasta – wasn't the only drastic change�
he needed to make.

Williams, who also bombed with the�Detroit Lions�and�Oakland Raiders, recently told�The Seattle Times�that he developed some "real bad habits" as his other pro football opportunities flamed out, such as hanging out in nightclubs and trying to share the NFL experience with family and friends.

This summer, though, he's been taking the bus back and forth to the team hotel, carrying himself like a humbled rookie. Seahawks offensive coordinator�Jeremy Bates�sees that as another sign that demonstrates how much Williams cares, this time around.

"He's treating it with respect," Bates says.

Better conditioned, Williams is also leaving impressions with his explosiveness in drills and endurance. That he doesn't get winded after running 20 or 30 reps during a given practice is another marker for progress.

"Sometimes," says Bates, "a person has to take a step back before they can take a step forward."

Williams won't argue that point.

"I'm trying to see how far I can take it," he says. "I'm as excited as hell for this year, just because of the road it's taken to get where I am."

The Seahawks signed Williams in mid-April, after Carroll offered a tryout. Only two other teams showed any interest, and then only to the wait-and-see point of telling Williams' agent that they'd call back later.

It's hardly surprising that Carroll would give one of his former players a shot. There are eight former Southern California players on the Seahawks' camp roster, including six who were added since Carroll took over in January. (Another former Trojan, running back�LenDale White, was obtained in a draft-day trade, then released).

"It's more of a 'go prove it' type of thing," Williams says of his connection with Carroll. "He's not married to any of the guys who played for him. He just kind of has more of an idea about us than our position coaches. But other than that, I don't see him treating us any different, or talking to us more. He kind of ignores us. He doesn't want to show any favoritism. And he's on me about everything."

Williams, drafted 10th overall by Detroit in 2005, tallied just 44 receptions in his three NFL seasons. Carroll undoubtedly is measuring the potential by a different standard. In two years at Southern California, Williams caught 176 passes.

Bates, who coordinated the�Denver Broncos�offense in 2008 that revolved around�Jay Cutler's frequent throws to 'X' receiverBrandon Marshall, has a best-scenario vision of Williams blossoming as the Seahawks' workhorse 'X' target.

"He knows our history," Bates says. "When he first came here, we talked about Brandon. He knows how many balls we threw to Brandon at that position."

First things first.

"Let's see what happens," Bates added. "We still have a month. But he hasn't disappointed us yet. We're pulling for him."

At the moment, that's good enough for a man trying to revive his career and claim a role amid a group of receivers that includes�T.J. Houshmandzadeh, former�Super Bowl�MVP�Deion Branch�and rookie Golden Tate.

"I'm just trying to get better," Williams says. "It's still a long road. These practices, it's still early. I have to apply it to the preseason games. My main thing is to maintain, to keep rising throughout this camp and see what I can do."

[table][/table]

rm2_6077-nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

There were no injuries to point to. No excuses, either. Williams managed 44 receptions in his three pro seasons — not what anyone imagined after he caught 176 passes in two seasons for USC.

The 6-foot-5 Williams reportedly weighed as much as 270 pounds with Tennessee. Now at 230, he's proving to be a big-bodied receiver who just might be capable of contributing to a rebuilding team.

RENTON, Wash. — Is this right?

"It's actually two pounds off," a sweaty�Mike Williams
, just finished from the practice field, tells a visitor�
holding a�
Seattle Seahawks�roster that lists the wide�
receiver at 6-5, 235.

He checked into camp at 233 pounds.

"That might not matter to most people," he says, "but�
two pounds makes a difference."

At one point in 2008, during a disastrous foray with�
his third NFL team, the�
Tennessee Titans, Williams�
tipped the scales at 270. Too big. Too slow. Too�
sloppy. That he carried the weight of a tight end or�
linebacker was merely the first impression of much�g
one wrong.�

PHOTOS:�Seahawks training camp

Now he's lean again, looking and performing like�
the receiver who came of Southern California in�
2005 as a top-ten draft pick rather than a man cast�
for�
The Biggest Loser.

Williams, reunited with his college coach,�Pete�
Carroll
, is one of the most intriguing storylines in�
Seahawks camp with his make-or-break comeback�
attempt.

"I can do what my mind pictured for myself, the way�
I want to look and run," says Williams, 26, whose�
outstanding start to training camp follows his stellar�
work in OTA sessions. "How I picture myself, I can�
apply that and actually do it, as opposed to being a�
little heavier and not being able to cut as much."

It apparently took three teams, three failures and two�
years of unemployment for Williams to realize that�
he was blowing his considerable talent. Yet the diet�
– he says he's eliminated fried foods, sweets and�
sodas, while significantly cutting back on red meat,�
breads and pasta – wasn't the only drastic change�
he needed to make.

Williams, who also bombed with the�Detroit Lions�and�Oakland Raiders, recently told�The Seattle Times�that he developed some "real bad habits" as his other pro football opportunities flamed out, such as hanging out in nightclubs and trying to share the NFL experience with family and friends.

This summer, though, he's been taking the bus back and forth to the team hotel, carrying himself like a humbled rookie. Seahawks offensive coordinator�Jeremy Bates�sees that as another sign that demonstrates how much Williams cares, this time around.

"He's treating it with respect," Bates says.

Better conditioned, Williams is also leaving impressions with his explosiveness in drills and endurance. That he doesn't get winded after running 20 or 30 reps during a given practice is another marker for progress.

"Sometimes," says Bates, "a person has to take a step back before they can take a step forward."

Williams won't argue that point.

"I'm trying to see how far I can take it," he says. "I'm as excited as hell for this year, just because of the road it's taken to get where I am."

The Seahawks signed Williams in mid-April, after Carroll offered a tryout. Only two other teams showed any interest, and then only to the wait-and-see point of telling Williams' agent that they'd call back later.

It's hardly surprising that Carroll would give one of his former players a shot. There are eight former Southern California players on the Seahawks' camp roster, including six who were added since Carroll took over in January. (Another former Trojan, running back�LenDale White, was obtained in a draft-day trade, then released).

"It's more of a 'go prove it' type of thing," Williams says of his connection with Carroll. "He's not married to any of the guys who played for him. He just kind of has more of an idea about us than our position coaches. But other than that, I don't see him treating us any different, or talking to us more. He kind of ignores us. He doesn't want to show any favoritism. And he's on me about everything."

Williams, drafted 10th overall by Detroit in 2005, tallied just 44 receptions in his three NFL seasons. Carroll undoubtedly is measuring the potential by a different standard. In two years at Southern California, Williams caught 176 passes.

Bates, who coordinated the�Denver Broncos�offense in 2008 that revolved around�Jay Cutler's frequent throws to 'X' receiverBrandon Marshall, has a best-scenario vision of Williams blossoming as the Seahawks' workhorse 'X' target.

"He knows our history," Bates says. "When he first came here, we talked about Brandon. He knows how many balls we threw to Brandon at that position."

First things first.

"Let's see what happens," Bates added. "We still have a month. But he hasn't disappointed us yet. We're pulling for him."

At the moment, that's good enough for a man trying to revive his career and claim a role amid a group of receivers that includes�T.J. Houshmandzadeh, former�Super Bowl�MVP�Deion Branch�and rookie Golden Tate.

"I'm just trying to get better," Williams says. "It's still a long road. These practices, it's still early. I have to apply it to the preseason games. My main thing is to maintain, to keep rising throughout this camp and see what I can do."

[table][/table]

I hope to see the dude succeed in the league, dude was a beast at USC but damn he was trash once he got drafted.

I hope to see the dude succeed in the league, dude was a beast at USC but damn he was trash once he got drafted.

I mean, all signs point to a prolific turnaround. In shape, back with his college coach, playing with the best quarterback he'll have worked with, away from the Lions, away from the Raiders, away from LenDale White's lunch table...

Just like anything else, once you plummet so far, it's that much harder to rise up again. I'm not one to root for guys just because of a nice story, but I kind of am with him.

I mean, all signs point to a prolific turnaround. In shape, back with his college coach, playing with the best quarterback he'll have worked with, away from the Lions, away from the Raiders, away from LenDale White's lunch table...

Just like anything else, once you plummet so far, it's that much harder to rise up again. I'm not one to root for guys just because of a nice story, but I kind of am with him.

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

how is he getting away with wearing #1?
Why wouldn't he be able to wear it? That rule isn't as strictly enforced as it used to be. WR's used to be able to only wear 10-19 80-89, but you got guys like Devin Hester wearing 23. More than likely 10-19 and 80-89 is taken.

But props to BMW for seemingly getting things back on track. Hopefully it continues.

Why wouldn't he be able to wear it? That rule isn't as strictly enforced as it used to be. WR's used to be able to only wear 10-19 80-89, but you got guys like Devin Hester wearing 23. More than likely 10-19 and 80-89 is taken.

But props to BMW for seemingly getting things back on track. Hopefully it continues.

I saw him vs. the Packers and was thinking this, I hope dude turns it around for himself.

I saw him vs. the Packers and was thinking this, I hope dude turns it around for himself.

I wish the best for that man. I love a good redemption story. He has all the physical tools to do it...I mean he always has.

I wish the best for that man. I love a good redemption story. He has all the physical tools to do it...I mean he always has.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Seriously.  I really did not expect to hear about him being on an NFL team again.  Hesitant to put much faith in him but I'm rooting for him.

Seriously.  I really did not expect to hear about him being on an NFL team again.  Hesitant to put much faith in him but I'm rooting for him.

as soon as the roster is trimmed to 53, he'll be wearing a # between 10-19/80-89...

and Dre...wasn't Hester drafted as a DB?  That's probably why he's able to get away w. wearing #23....

as soon as the roster is trimmed to 53, he'll be wearing a # between 10-19/80-89...

and Dre...wasn't Hester drafted as a DB?  That's probably why he's able to get away w. wearing #23....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Good point.

But I don't think it matters what you were drafted as. What matters is what you are listed as on the depth chart. I could be wrong though. Anybody know for sure?

Good point.

But I don't think it matters what you were drafted as. What matters is what you are listed as on the depth chart. I could be wrong though. Anybody know for sure?

Good point.

For some reason I recall them listing him as a KR, which allowed him to wear 23. Not sure about that though.

(or maybe not ... ? http://www.chicagobears.c...Story.asp?story_id=5792)

Good point.

For some reason I recall them listing him as a KR, which allowed him to wear 23. Not sure about that though.

(or maybe not ... ? http://www.chicagobears.c...Story.asp?story_id=5792)

With TJ on the other side and Golden Tate in the slot + Forsett in the backfield defenses will have distractions...he needs to step up big...especially since the NFC West is up for the taking

With TJ on the other side and Golden Tate in the slot + Forsett in the backfield defenses will have distractions...he needs to step up big...especially since the NFC West is up for the taking

Back
Top Bottom