Fun fact and scary idea of the day

I've been reading this book written by a physicist and apparently the nuclear bomb dropped at Hiroshima was only 2% efficient.  This is because only 2% of the Uranium "fissioned" before the bomb exploded. "When the nucleus fissions, the extra neutrons that come out can trigger fissions in other nearby nuclei" This causes a chain reaction and basically the explosion multiplies exponentially as the fissions happen. So pretty much if the bomb had been 100 % efficient (probably impossible) then Japan would definitely no longer exist.

Just thought Id share that, I thought it was interesting. So does NT think nukes should be allowed to exist or should we get rid of all of them?

Very scary thought indeed. If a WWIII were to happen, it would pretty much be like two people standing in a pool of flammable oil waist-deep; one person with two matches and the other with three.

The Hiroshima bomb was ~ 12 kilotons of TNT. Tsar Bomba, the most powerful bomb ever tested, was designed to be as powerful as 95 MEGAtons (1 megaton=1000 kilotons). When it was tested it was dropped down to around 57 megatons, but still to put that in perspective that's almost 5 thousand times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.
Another fun fact is that some of the scientists who tested the first atomic bomb as part of the Manhattan Project thought that the first time they tested it it would destroy the entire world
laugh.gif

The fact that so many countries now hold nuclear weapons actually deters war. No country wants to be the one to fire them, because if they do they will immediately be wiped off the face of the Earth. Basically the playing field is level now and with the stakes so high, countries are reluctant to start a serious conflict due to the threat of a nuclear war. Countries realize that a global war is likely to be the end of the world as we know it and there is no benefit to nuking another country.

On the other hand, terrorists and extremists don't think on this wavelength so they are a credible threat.

In a perfect world, nukes should not exist. But the fact that they do puts every country in check.

^^ Ive thought about that too. Nuclear weapons make huge wars very risky and no country actually wants to use them. I also think its funny that you can look up the directions on how to make them on the internet because the gov knows you'll never get the elements needed to make them work

Do they really have instructions? Because I'm sure some people have access to those materials... there are a ton of people on the internet, even terrorists have access. But then again, if you were serious, I doubt you'd use google to tell you how to make a nuclear weapon.

Also, was the 2% efficiency planned? Or did the US really want to drop a 100% efficient bomb on Japan and fail?

Originally Posted by scshift

Do they really have instructions? Because I'm sure some people have access to those materials... there are a ton of people on the internet, even terrorists have access. But then again, if you were serious, I doubt you'd use google to tell you how to make a nuclear weapon.

Also, was the 2% efficiency planned? Or did the US really want to drop a 100% efficient bomb on Japan and fail?

Noo it said they expected about a 2% rate, nothing in life is perfect especially crazy bombs like these

The fact that so many countries now hold nuclear weapons actually deters war. No country wants to be the one to fire them, because if they do they will immediately be wiped off the face of the Earth. Basically the playing field is level now and with the stakes so high, countries are reluctant to start a serious conflict due to the threat of a nuclear war. Countries realize that a global war is likely to be the end of the world as we know it and there is no benefit to nuking another country.

On the other hand, terrorists and extremists don't think on this wavelength so they are a credible threat.

In a perfect world, nukes should not exist. But the fact that they do puts every country in check.

it makes sense.  I never thought about it that way. 

In a perfect world, nukes should not exist. But the fact that they do puts every country those countries with less capable weapons in check.

you might be surprised to find out how expensive the appropriate isotopes of uranium, etc. would cost someone on the black market.  think in the millions of dollars.
and i'm nearly positive that efficiency has nothing to do with intent, and everything to do with how efficient production methods are at that point in time.

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. 
J. Robert Oppenheimer

if one country decides they about that life and decides to bomb another and start WWIII
well then the retaliation and whatnot between different countries would surely end the world

scshift wrote:

looking for manuals one day on the net and came across something called anarchist's cookbook.. nothing nuclear in there but various other small time bombs.. i deleted it as son as i was done skimming

Back
Top Bottom