FX's ATLANTA (Starring Donald Glover) S4 Final episode

Aaron’s father said something to the effect of “you might be fooling your classmates, but I know where that big nose came from.”

Dude just didn’t want to accept his blackness until he was forced.. I knew racially ambiguous cats that stayed brushing their hair 😂

the dad kept it 100 with dude.. zero clue how dude is talking as wild as he was during the game and then to the African dude

The joke ain’t that deeps
Exactly.

Which is why I wonder why you don't get it and see the point
and that dumb shh is one of the few things we know about Chet hanks
Again, you're talking about Chet Hanks not the character he played. That it is Chet Hanks is just another layer to the overall joke.

Defeats the purpose if every joke has to be explained especially if you're going to assume the worst and question the message every time.

That kid irl wouldn't fool White people. He's got some color and his nose say Off White. I would probably think he was some kind of Hispanic. Maybe South American, possibly Brazilian.
It reminds me of the movie Passing. I'm looking at Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga like they're obviously Black, but thats because I knew who they were already. The black/white film color is meant to suspend belief and emphasize how closer they are to White skin. And for the time period in that movie, they're closer to "other" (Italian, Greek, etc.) so while not 100% White, they weren't identifiably Black and thats what gets them by.

Again, you're talking about Chet Hanks not the character he played. That it is Chet Hanks is just another layer to the overall joke.

Defeats the purpose if every joke has to be explained especially if you're going to assume the worst and question the message every time.

Chet hanks was asked to repeat his stupidity

If the they pulled what they did with Liam neeson, then cool.. you’re making fun of the idiot white kid trying to pretend to have the accent of the people of a predominantly black country

Otherwise you’re just asking him to repeat the stupidity and giving him a format to do so

Which is my point. This convo/topic wouldn't seem foreign if you where in predominately Black American spaces.

Questioning the blackness of Africans?

Is that usually done in black American spaces?

Are “African Americans” the only people considered black in these spaces?

If the they pulled what they did with Liam neeson, then cool.. you’re making fun of the idiot white kid trying to pretend to have the accent of the people of a predominantly black country

Otherwise you’re just asking him to repeat the stupidity and giving him a format to do so

Question: If it would have been a random unknown white actor, and not Chet Hanks would it have been acceptable?

Question: If it would have been a random unknown white actor, and not Chet Hanks would it have been acceptable?

there are white people who actually have that accent

but it’s less problematic if it’s not a rich white kid from california who thinks it’s cute to throw on an accent

as I said, if like liam neeson you ask him to actually address his shh then cool

but we supposed to pretend this stupidity ain’t happen:

and when directly asked about:

dont need a show by black people encouraging that white boy’s stupidity

Listening to this Ringer Ep 9 podcast. I’ve been impressed with their coverage and insights before. But, they really get hung up on Kevin Samuels’ inclusion into the episode. Instead of viewing him as an actor placed into a role, they were looking at his controversy with black women (which was rooted in an echo chamber of his worst takes without context) and how he should have been placed in a relationship guru role akin to Liam Nelson playing himself or Chet Hanks playing a white man raised by a Caribbean nanny.

I can’t speak on that. I’m a military kid and the post barbershops I went to growing up had all different types of barbers and clientele. Obviously military cuts are a certain look but all were more than qualified to handle most hair textures.

You are probably aren’t wrong though, I just can’t relate
I stopped getting hair cuts when I joined the military. I used to go to black barbers. Get that nice line up. I remember going to boot camp. They let me skip the harrowing initial horror hair cut,

But…the military barbers were trash. It’s just a generalized homogenized approach to cutting hair when I wanted the style, the pride, the knowledge, and the conversation.

there are white people who actually have that accent

but it’s less problematic if it’s not a rich white kid from california who thinks it’s cute to throw on an accent

as I said, if like liam neeson you ask him to actually address his shh then cool

but we supposed to pretend this stupidity ain’t happen:

and when directly asked about:

dont need a show by black people encouraging that white boy’s stupidity

Gotcha. When I watched the episode, I didnt even realize that was Chet, even tho I definitely saw all of the videos of him when he went viral. I didnt know it was Chet until I came to NT and then I had my Weebay.gif moment.

With this show there is constant social commentary as well as references to current pop culture situations. Why Glover used Chet specifically over a white person who really has that accent, Id say 1.) familiarity and 2.) shock value. The familiarity aspect because people know who Chet is and seen his ridiculousness. I didnt take it as a cosign of his antics. Kinda in a sense when movies use straight actors and they play gay roles. Yea they coulda casted a person who was really gay, but are they as known or are people as familiar with them, ya know. And the shock value angle. Using an unknown actor that naturally has that accent wouldnt spark any discussions outside of the show, it just wouldve been a scene of the show and we woulda moved on. By no means saying youre in the wrong for how you feel about the scene/cast selection, I just didn’t interpret it that way personally.

The funny part about the Chet Hanks scene is they used him to make fun of himself and folks like him. Chet himself seems too oblivious to have noticed. Hilarious.

They are laughing at Chet, not enabling or condoning it in anyway.

except I look as Chet an adult version of that child.. a white American who is legit integrated in the culture because of his exposure to it

that child respects those people and believes he has a place amongst them

that child is being raised by a Trinidadian, even so far as the caregiver is literally in the parent school photo.. the actually parents have to adapt to the things she did for their child

just like the parents are made fun of.. Chet could have been made fun of

or like Liam neeson, have him actually address it

my guy IATT IATT stay taking the air out the ball :lol:
I said it's entertainment and fam write me an expository essay :lol:
That child respects those people and believes he has a place amongst them

that child is being raised by a Trinidadian, even so far as the caregiver is literally in the parent school photo.. the actually parents have to adapt to the things she did for their child

just like the parents are made fun of.. Chet could have been made fun of
Bro the child is six

Bro the child is six

what‘s your point?

my American nephew is 5.. he speaks 2 languages because his father and their family speak another language other than English

and he also understands aspects of Bahamian culture because of our side of the family and the time he spends here

although he was born in America and lives in America.. he is regularly exposed to 2 other cultures, through his parents and their families

Chet Hanks is and actor and played a role. That his stupidity is something he engages in real life is another part of the joke.
The joke sadly had to be explained but that you have an issue with the person and came up for your own meaning for the purpose he was in the ep really doesn't matter.
Again its not that deep at all but you want it to be.
or like Liam neeson, have him actually address it
Trying to equate what Chet did to what Liam Neeson said and did is crazy.
what‘s your point?

my American nephew is 5.. he speaks 2 languages because his father and their family speak another language other than English

and he also understands aspects of Bahamian culture because of our side of the family and the time he spends here

although he was born in America and lives in America.. he is regularly exposed to 2 other cultures, through his parents and their families
Bruh you gotta chill with all of these anecdotal examples for your reasoning.

And when THEY finally figured out it was a problem, changes were made

It’s 2022 and Chet is just a white dude from california throwing on an accent

what‘s your point?

The fact that you comparing a kindergartner you watched for 30 min to one you actually know is hilarious, especially at their intelligence level.

But somebody already told you you looking too much into the show so just do you man

The fact that you comparing a kindergartner you watched for 30 min to one you actually know is hilarious, especially at their intelligence level.

But somebody already told you you looking too much into the show so just do you man

My exposure to a 5 year old and his classmates and friends is to give kids that age a little more credit than to say this:

Bro the child is six

And when THEY finally figured out it was a problem, changes were made

It’s 2022 and Chet is just a white dude from california throwing on an accent
So you still don't get it.

Bringing up Hank was pointless.

Back
Top Bottom