Gangbangers run amok in NYC. 54 Arrested.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]NYPD arrests dozens after Easter Night gang mayhem in Times Square, Herald Square[/h1]
BY Sarah Armaghan, Barry Paddock AND Helen Kennedy
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Monday, April 5th 2010, 12:08 PM

alg_shooting_times-square.jpg

Iudici for News
Police speak to victims of a mob that shot several people in Times Square...

amd_shooting_times-square.jpg

Iudici for News
...before attacking several others in Herald Square two hours later in what police fear is a new gang Easter tradition.

[h3]Take our Poll[/h3]

[h4]Spike in crime[/h4]
Do you feel safe in New York City?
[table][tr][td][/td] [td]Yes. I feel very secure wherever I go.[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]No. I fear for my safety more often than I should.[/td] [/tr][/table]

[h3]Related News[/h3]

Fifty four people were arrested this morning after hundreds of young thugs rampaged through Times and Herald Squares in what cops call a new Easter night tradition of Midtown mayhem.

Four people were shot - a man and woman in Times Square and two women outside of Macy's.

All four were taken to Bellevue Hospital with relatively minor injuries.

Police said the three wounded women were innocent bystanders caught amid the surging groups of gangbangers, most of whom had been to the annual Car Show at the Javits Center.

"It was pretty crazy," said a witness to the Herald Square gunplay, who did not want to give his name.

"It was like 'pop,' real loud - then silence. Then another 'pop, pop, pop, pop.' Everyone started running down the street, screaming, 'They're shooting, they're shooting!'"

Cops shut down some of New York City's most famous streets and climbed into the iconic Macy's awning, looking for stashed weapons.

Easter night, when it falls during the Car Show, has brought violent clashes to Midtown for the last half-dozen years, terrifying tourists and business owners.

The NYPD had beefed up patrols in preparation. "It's something we watch over and we prepare for it in advance," said NYPD spokesman Paul Browne.

Until this year, the most serious clashes were in 2006 and 2007, when some businesses were told to close for their own safety and a handful of stabbings were reported.

"This city is going to hell. People shouldn't have to worry about being shot, especially in Midtown," said a fuming Tena Hemingway, 23, of Brooklyn, whose 19-year-old sister, Iasia Manson, was shot in the elbow outside Macy's.

"She was just walking around with a group of friends celebrating Easter," Hemingway said. "They were headed toward the train to go home, when a group of guys just came up on them and started acting a fool and started yelling - and that's when the shots went off."

Witnesses described large groups of young men swaggering through the streets, periodically breaking into a run when someone pulled a gun.

The first shooting took place at 12:10 a.m. outside the New York Sports Club on W. 41st St., where Chris Pleasant, 21, was shot in the ankle.

NYPD shut down 42nd and 41st Sts. between 7th and 8th Avenues, and shuttered some of the busy Times Square subway entrances.

The second shooting came 20 minutes later at W. 51st St. and 7th Ave., when a 21-year-old woman was grazed in the face with a BB pellet.

About two hours later, gunfire erupted in Herald Square, when Manson was hit in the elbow and an 18-year-old girl was shot in the leg.

Cops shut down 34th St. from 7th to 5th Ave. and began stopping dozen of young people, searching, questioning and arresting them.

Of the 54 taken into custody, nine were juveniles. The arrests were largely for disorderly conduct and not tied directly to any of the shootings.

"I've never seen stuff like this go on here, not in Times Square," said Sonny Imtiaz, 24, of Bay Ridge, who came to ride motorcycles in Manhattan with a friend because it was such a balmy night.

"We thought we'd head to Times Square and that's when we started seeing all these groups of people everywhere. We were stopped at a red light when these two groups started fighting, yelling and throwing glass bottles at each other, hitting them in the head.

"There must have been like 30 to 40 people in there. The cops showed up and everyone scattered, everyone just started running."

Imtiaz faulted the police for not breaking up the gangs earlier.

"I think the cops could have handled it all better," he said. "They should have been able to control these crowds more, but they were just standing there as this all went on."

It was the second time in recent months that gunfire has marred the cleaned-up Times Square. In December, a street hustler opened fire with a machine pistol before cops shot him dead. Miraculously, he was the only casualty.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...times_square_herald_square.html#ixzz0kFBhRriB

And these Cali cats are complaining about a little vibration of their land...

PFFFTTTT, cats is soft.

Wow
tired.gif

Every easter sunday you already know something goes down..its a given..plus it was warm yesterday too.
goons out of hibernation time

"I think the cops could have handled it all better," he said. "They should have been able to control these crowds more, but they were just standing there as this all went on."
Cops clocking in and clocking out  to make that $, first and foremost. 
laugh.gif
Most of the cops in midtown just stand around and bird-watch

This report is stupid.

54 people got arrested for mostly disorderly conduct, they were arrested in various locations in Midtown (51st street, 41st street and 34th street), and all three shootings seem like they were not connected (one was a BB gun). How does that make all 54 arrests gang related or an Easter Day tradition? Any time you have a bunch of random groups of teens and 20 year olds in one area, there are bound to be fights/arguments. That don't mean every group is a gang or it's going to happen every year. Reports like this make it seem like it's one gang running amok on the city.

NYC > Any city in the US of A regardless

As racist as it sounds, as I walked out of Port Authority on 42nd and 8th Sunday night all I saw were groups of black people. Thats just an obvious description. The stereotyping is never going to stop if this is the type of behavior that young african americans take part in.

When I say groups I mean hundreds and hundreds filling out the streets cursing screaming and trying to intimidate anyone in site. You could not walk passed a group of them without being yelled at. I am not saying that they were all black - but in my opinion about 85% were.

Its sad. There is no excuse for actions like these. I live here and I constantly go through times square traveling to and from Jersey to see my boyfriend and have never felt the way I did that night.

one of the reasons why i dislike summer (+ i hate the hot weather).. we just had our first driveby/shooting in my neighborhood
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom