Garnett wins DPOY

Link

[h1]K.G.: NBA's top defender[/h1]
Posted by Marc J. Spears, Globe Staff April 22, 2008 12:21 PM

Celtics forward Kevin Garnett became the first Boston player to be voted as the league's Defensive Player of the Year today.

Garnett earned 493 points (90 first place votes, 12 second place, seven third place). Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby finished second with 178 points.

Garnett led the Celtics to hold opponents to 90.3 points per game. Garnett averaged 7.3 defensive rebounds per game, 1.2 blocks per game, and 1.4 steals per game. He had a season-high seven blocks at Chicago on Dec. 12.

Kia Motors will donate a seven-passenger SUV in Garnett's name to the Boston Center for Youths and Families, which supports KG's Big Ticket Challenge Program.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Well deserved, he even made his entire team step up ddefensively.

Co-sign. Was gonna say the same exact thing. I'm glad he at least gets this award.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Well deserved, he even made his entire team step up ddefensively.

The whole culture of that team changed the minute he arrived....

He should be the MVP also....

Wow, I kind of figured Camby was locked in on this one.

Good for KG, though.

That makes him the only current player to have been named both the regular season MVP and the DPOY.

Heck, how many players EVER have both trophies to their name?

That makes him the only current player to have been named both the regular season MVP and the DPOY.

How bout MJ in 87-88 getting both in the same year
eek.gif

But KG's influence is the classic case of looking beyond his individual stats.....

Boston Celtics Team Defense

Opp FG%
2005-06 - .456% (19th in NBA)
2006-07 - .468% (24th in NBA)
2007-08 - .419% (1st in NBA)

Opp PPG
2005-06 - 99.5 PPG (19th in NBA)
2006-07 - 99-2 PPG (18th in NBA)
2007-08 - 90.3 PPG (2nd in NBA)

When your intensity and hard work on the defensive end motivates Paul Pierce to step up and be a pretty damn good defender on the perimeter, you deserve thisaward.

Props to KG...
pimp.gif

Word.. He had this on lock.. I think all of the pundits were saying how the team would struggle defensively because of Ray Allen lol.. Even Jebus has to stepup his d to play alongside that freak.. Anyone would play good d when KG's going all out every possession!

Wow.

I actually never even thought of seeing this coming. Props big man. Now go get a Finals MVP.
pimp.gif

he deserved it, I knew they would've put up offensive numbers but I didn't expect that kind of play from them defensively

Very well-deserved for KG.

On a different note, I kinda wish Duncan could win one as a "lifetime achievement award" or something. It's a shame how TD hasn't won onedespite him dramatically contributing to the one of the top defenses in the nba year-in year-out. Much like how KG has had a huge effect on the "defensiveculture" of the Celtics, Timmy has been doing the same since he came into the league.

But in any case, I fully expected KG to get this one. Glad he did.

Props to KG, well deserved.

Should have done that in the purple and gold though.
frown.gif

That ougt to piss a few poeple off.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

eek.gif

93-94 Hakeem was MVP, DPOY and finals MVP
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BlackMomo

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

eek.gif

93-94 Hakeem was MVP, DPOY and finals MVP
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom