Gas stations that charge MORE for credit....vol. Jersey SMH

Any other states out there that do this?  Went to Valero today and they charge .10 more if you use your credit card...
30t6p3b.gif

*Jersey got cheap gas tho, so I'm not completely mad
laugh.gif

They've been doing it for awhile now here in CT..gas is like $4/gallon too.

Jersey checking in. Yeah, the gas station closest to me in more expensive if you use credit
mad.gif
but Jersey has some of the cheapest gas in the nation so its not terrible.

CC companies charge fees to allow businesses to accept their cards. So gas stations pass that cost onto the consumer.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Any other states out there that do this?  Went to Valero today and they charge .10 more if you use your credit card...
30t6p3b.gif

*Jersey got cheap gas tho, so I'm not completely mad
laugh.gif

and they pump it for you
pimp.gif

because they have to pay for credit transactions. they pass those costs off to you and give you incentive to pay them cash. they do it here in TX too

Originally Posted by KingJames23

CC companies charge fees to allow businesses to accept their cards. So gas stations pass that cost onto the consumer.
The thing that sucks though is that normally you can avoid this by paying with your debit card.

You don't have this option in Jersey though since you can't pump your own gas and most attendants will act like they don't understand you and swipe your debit card like a regular credit card.

San Francisco and some of its surrounding areas do this..

It's usually the smaller gas stations..

Agree years ago when gas was $2 and under they didn't do that here in Jersey. Only when we got smashed on prices after Katrina and stuff did they start doing that.

NJ checking in
pimp.gif

but yea my local gas stations almost all have this, where credit is .10 more.
at least they pump the gas for us
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

big chains around me dont charge more, just mom and pops and smaller chains.

funny enough, the cheapest station around me is a BP, and the other BP 2 miles away is 10 cents more. near boston, btw.

See it a lot out here in long island. It was $3.93 with cash and 4.09 with credit when I went yesterday. Like someone else said, it's usually the no name/mom & pop stations that do it.

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

As if they weren't raking in enough already.

actual gas stations don't make too much on gas. they usually sell for a couple of cents a gallon more than what they pay for but the real profit comes from sales inside.

I think its pretty much a Valero thing no matter where you go. Valero's are like that out here on the best coast

Back
Top Bottom