Gentrification 3.0 in the city of Oakland vol. Weak game will get flyers posted and police called on

ooIRON MANoo.......even your own perception is skewed and flawed for other areas of SF. Mission might be a specific example but there are areas in SF that are totally fine that have great school programs and don't need to be redone for better. To think the people moving in this city are trying to "make a difference" is laughable. People are moving here to get closer to their jobs and trying to enjoy themselves. Maybe cause the nature of these people moving in are more civil brings a better neighborhood to that area but I really don't think it's an intentional as if they are trying to make a difference. Plus half of the people living here will move out once they have kids anyways, so this better schooling program is BS.

Not every gentrification case is the same. You can also state the case that this generation wants to be closer to work after seeing their parents deal with 45-90 minute daily commutes.

Honest question, do you guys prefer the dilapidated conditions prior to gentrification?

Also, another factor, it may be twenty something's that's start the gentrification process, it isn't until developers show up with their big wallets and bulldozers. That's shot gets ****** up for all sides. "Hipsters" like their culture filled enclaves, living alongside people that have been there for a couple of generations. Developers/investors see that and then the cookie cutter town homes and condos come along.

They don't care about the culture of the neighborhood but they care about the neighborhood.

There are so many factors, and every case is different.

So the guy on the top is the racist one because the guy at the bottom is crossing the street back and forth.
Yes, If I was the guy at the top and the guy at the bottom asks me for my number i'm pulling out the musket B.
Hope that answers your question
You...

You are the reason your parent's are getting pushed out...

You, you're a "yuppie", "hippie", whatever you want to call it.

I'm going to use my example and what is going on in the neighborhood and other hoods surrounding the neighborhood we grew up in. We, second generation, are moving back in. Our parent's got here, it was affordable, they did what they had to do to put us through school and put food on the table. Didn't demand much.

We went to school, we got an education. We are moving back into our neighborhoods, we want them cleaned up. If you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem. It's happening, couples with six figure incomes buying the house next to or across the street from their parents house or a couple of blocks away from where they grew up and fixing up these homes with their disposable income.

They are also demanding better education programs, better policing of neighborhoods.

It's you, and by "you", I'm talking about the mid 20's, early 30's college educated person or couple with a mid-$50k salary.

Keep thinking that hipsters are just white kids with trust funds. It's easy to rag on hipsters, hey, I poke fun at them from time to time. The people going back to these neighborhoods are going in to change it.

I'm in East Los Angeles, btw. It's happening here and in Boyle Heights. Love the "Stop the Gentrification" crowd. **** man, not my fault I went to school and want to come back and make my neighborhood better.

It's complicated, truly is and the narrative is skewed based on whichever side of the line you are on.

Some people get their education and career and move out, some move back and try to make a damn difference. Which one are you? If you moved out of your hood, why are you complaining about something you abandoned the first chance you got?
WOW BRO,

embarassed.gif
 I have not read something so clearly expressed in such a long time. REPPED
Kudos to you. This hits so close to home. However, I'm not the type to go back to the hood.
I'm also not the type that would complaint about it either tho.
I'm the type to believe in progress and as sad as it is, not everybody in the hood wants to progress. 
Out of curiosity, How would you stop gentrification?

See in NY the hippies/ ARTISTSare the early adapters into the hood before gentrification. They be mingling with the residents like nothing. The yuppies dont come around until the hippies/ARTISTS take over and the guys with the sagging pants are long gone by then

Pretty much. But thats just gentrification in general. Oakland, Brooklyn, Philly...

Artists first and foremost need space. They also have little money. They move to the abandoned warehouse in the hood and turn that into a real studio. More follow suit. Eventually that whole warehouse is 8 genuine art studios. Not clean. Not cozy. Not warm. But spacious and quiet.

Then your local hipster transplant moved to town, can't afford a condo in the East Village (NYC) or the Marina (SF) and is told by the young real estate agent that the other side of the water is nice. He shows you coffee shops, walks you past cool graffiti, and tells you you are a 10 minute train ride from the city. He got you. You want to be cultured and hip. You aren't rich, but you also ain't moving to Brownsville or East Oakland. So you'll fork up the $1400 monthly rent and feel like a winner. And now you feel rebellious for being able to say you live in the Town or BK.

So you call your weed guy to come deliver an eight for $50 bucks cause your about to make a butternut squash dish with a girl you met on the subway home one night. You go outside, your dealer ain't there, so you pull out your phone and homie comes along and may or may not be trying to rob you but you're scared anyways. So you scuddle back into your apt. and feel irrationally afraid and violated...and you write said letter :smh:

And that is when both the hood and the artists will leave you.

Which is the whole point of this thread.

The sad part is that the people that are the most vocal about preserving the "culture" of gentrified neighborhoods no longer or never have lived there.

Bounced and never looked back. Throwing out lines like "it's not he same when I go back there anymore." :lol:. ****.

It's weird to see these changes happen in certain parts of Oakland. Hopefully its going to be a long time before these people start moving in masses by where im at in the 50s.
P
It's weird to see these changes happen in certain parts of Oakland. Hopefully its going to be a long time before these people start moving in masses by where im at in the 50s.

When they get out there, will the sideshows get cracked down? :nerd:

"If these communities wouldn't let their beloved communities deteriorate then these areas wouldn't be cheap"

LOL you princesas really live in lala land [emoji]128514[/emoji]

It's happening, couples with six figure incomes buying the house next to or across the street from their parents house or a couple of blocks away from where they grew up and fixing up these homes with their disposable income.

They are also demanding better education programs, better policing of neighborhoods.

:lol: Is that right? Better education programs for their kids, if they have any, that don't attend schools in the communities they reside in. If they have children they don't go to the schools because they are in poor standing and they would be the minority. The parents fear the treatment that their child will endure at the hands of their classmates and thus put them in an environment that they are familiar with. Many of the young people gentrifying neighborhoods do not have children and are not planning to have any. They cram themselves four or five into an apartment then split before the year is up. In the time that I've lived in my building, of all the gentrifiers that came and went only one couple had children. Their young son didn't go to school in the neighborhood. That couple split as soon as their home loan got approved. These people aren't in it for the long haul in these communities. They simply are looking for somewhere that they can afford that allows them to maintain the lifestyles they want to live.

Policing of neighborhoods? So now policing of neighborhoods is a concern and priority when non melanated peoples move in. Where was this concern when crack flooded the streets and after Giuliani went hard on the drugs, the gangs came in? Gentrification is nothing more than organized racism in an effort to displace those currently there.

Is this sarcasm? I'll just give a small personal example: I grew up in The Mission, which used to be one of the grimiest districts of San Francisco until recent years. My parents had just moved to the U.S. and could not afford anything better until years later, which was and still is the case with many families that lived in similar neighborhoods. What did they do to get pushed out of the community?

Lol dont feed into it. Let those types expose themselves so you can keep it moving.

Expose themselves so you can keep it moving? How does that help anybody. Why not just listen to somebody else's opinion and respect what they have to say?

Could go either way, ******* hood dudes and pit bulls :lol:. Walking stereotype.

Gentrification has been happening throughout history. If these communities wouldn't let their beloved communities deteriorate then these areas wouldn't be cheap.

Young people with disposable income want to live, eat, be entertained close home/work. The poor get pushed out. If you own a home in these areas you will come up. If you're a renter, landlord will probably get an offer down the road and once your lease is up. Deuces.

Sometimes I feel like people want to keep hoods... Hood. Makes no sense.

It's not that simple. A lot of these neighborhoods are "hood" because the city doesn't give a damn about preventing crime, cleaning the streets, and creating opportunities until wealthy/white people move there.

Out here in San Jose, I live in the eastside. Not the ghetto, but further away from wealthy. There's shopping carts filled with trash, old furniture, and especially always old mattresses. I don't know where they come from, I try to look for people dumping them and nothing gets done til the city picks them up. You don't see that sort of behavior in Willow Glen (wealthy part of San Jose.)

Back
Top Bottom