Getting my Idea out there Help!

Morning Nt. I thought of an idea for a website that could possibly make money. It is an original idea and so far with all my research I haven't seen this done. Now my question is all I have is an idea so where do I go from here? I need a programmer to write the website so does anyone know where I can head in New York to find someone to speak to on this topic. Also how do I keep my idea from being stolen by someone supposing I tell it to this programmer guy? Thank you. Any help is appreciated.

Great thread, I'm in the exact same situation except I'm in Atlanta.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Usually the heads that come up with ideas for websites that ultimately became successful were programmers in the first place, or originally programmed their website. In fact, I can think of no huge succesful website who's idea came from someone that wasn't in the development process.

The reason for this is that programming a website to get it to run exactly how you want takes a lot of work to originally do, and maintain. So there's no way you can just "hire" a programmer for a day to draft up the website and then keep all the revenue that comes from it; doesn't work like that. If the website is gaining so much traffic that it generates a sizable amount of income, you're going to need maintenance... programming for new features, etc. So yea... you're better off befriending some programmers who'll be in it for the long-run. Oh, and they'll want most of the income since they're doing most of the work.

As far as "stealing" ideas for websites... there's rules to things that you can and can't patent. You should look those up.

A common misunderstanding of this whole "getting rich off a website" idea is that people think that all they have to do is attract a lot of visitors, put some ads on their site, and that will generate revenue. It will; but not on the order of what you're probably looking for. NikeTalk does that and I believe it makes only about $20-$30 a day. The key to wealth is in an information bank. Websites like Google, YouTube, and especially Facebook have information banks collected from their users that are worth gold to advertisers. Sure they make a lot of money because of the visitors they get (you won't, because your website probably won't be as big as any of those), but they're "worth" a lot more than their revenue... and that's because of the information they collect.

Great reply TheBachellor and I thought about the whole you have to be a programmer to do it also, because I myself couldn't think of a successful website off the top of my head. But then I got to thinking where does a regular Joe Schmo with a brilliant idea go or do then? Since I have no tools for running this website myself I also thought about the option of possibly selling my idea to someone who already has a website but could incorporate my idea.

can anyone else offer any advice suggestions on the topic, or has ever been through this? thanks..

Back
Top Bottom