Gilbert Arenas....2 years PROBATION, 30 days in a halfway house, & 400 hrs comm service

Pretty sure the house I lived in when I was down there was worse than what he's going to be living in.

good for him for getting off light. now dude should stop talking and acting like an idiot and concentrate on basketball.

Gil got the most lenient judge there.

I know people in the DC courthouse, and they told me any other judge would have made him do the whole 18 months.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

His defense team did a hell of a job considering the prosecution was adamant that he got 3 months in jail.....

gil got off light.

gilbert-arenas-2.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5031063

Arenas avoids jail time for gun offense

ESPN.com news services

WASHINGTON -- Gilbert Arenas won't have to serve jail time, a judge ruled Friday.

The Washington Wizards three-time All-Star point guard was sentenced Friday in D.C. Superior Court by Judge Robert E. Morin on one felony count of violating the District of Columbia's strict gun laws.

Gilbert Arenas timeline

Arenas 2009:
Dec. 19: Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton argue over a card game and exchanged threats as team was flies home from a road game.

Dec. 21: Arenas brings his guns to locker room and puts them in a chair by Crittenton's locker with a sign saying, "Pick 1." Crittenton retrieves his own gun and shows it to Arenas.

2010:
Jan. 6: NBA suspends Arenas without pay, effective immediately. NBA commissioner David Stern: "Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game."

Jan. 15: Arenas pleads guilty in court. Ken Wainstein, Arenas' attorney, said: "[Arenas] pled guilty to a charge of carrying a pistol in the District of Columbia without a license. He accepted full responsibility for his actions, acknowledged that those actions were wrong and against the law, and has apologized to all who have been affected by his conduct."

Jan. 27: NBA suspends Arenas (and Crittenton) for remainder of season. From the Wizards: "Their poor judgment has also violated the trust of our fans and stands in contrast to everything [late owner] Abe Pollin stood for throughout his life. It is widely known that Mr. Pollin took the extraordinary step of changing the team name from "Bullets" to "Wizards" in 1997 precisely to express his abhorrence of gun violence in our community."

March 23: Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Kavanaugh recommends three-month jail term, followed by three years of probation and 300 hours of community service.

March 26: Arenas sentenced in D.C. Superior Court to two years probation, which includes 30 days in halfway house and 400 hours community service. He is also required to register as a gun offender and dontate $5,000 to victims of violent crimes fund.

Arenas must serve 30 days in a halfway house and register as a gun offender.

He was sentenced to two years probation and must donate $5,000 to victims of violent crimes fund and do 400 hours community service.

Arenas apologized in court for his actions, saying, "Every day, I wake up wishing it did not happen."

The prosecution and defense teams stated their cases earlier this week in voluminous filings. It was all far beyond anything Arenas imagined on that December morning when he says he brought four guns to the locker room to play a prank on a teammate.

Prosecutors wanted Arenas to go to jail for at least three months. They pointed out he lied repeatedly about why the guns were in the locker room, that he tried to cover up what happened, that he displayed a cavalier attitude about the whole affair, that he knew bringing guns into D.C. was illegal, and that he has a prior gun conviction.

Arenas' lawyers asked for probation and community service, arguing that he was playing a misguided joke with no intention to harm anybody.

They pointed out that the guns were unloaded, that Arenas' lighthearted comments about the incident were misinterpreted, and that he's a good role model who goes beyond the call of duty when it comes to community service.

They added he was confused about D.C.'s gun laws, and that he'd already been severely punished through humiliation and the loss of tens of millions of dollars from canceled endorsements and his suspension without pay for the rest of the NBA season.

The maximum term for Arenas' crime was five years. The sentencing guidelines for someone with his record called for 6-24 months, although those guidelines also allow for probation.

A general survey of similar cases over the last two years in the city indicate that about half of the defendants convicted of Arenas' crime receive some jail time, but the mitigating circumstances vary widely.

Arenas' prior conviction -- a no contest plea to carrying a concealed weapon in California in 2003 -- was already a major strike against him, and the evidence revealed this week that he appeared to instigate a cover-up -- as shown in a text message produced by prosecutors -- had further damaged his case.

There was little dispute about the basic facts of the case. Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton got into an argument over a card game and exchanged threats while the team was flying home from a road game on Dec. 19. Two days later, Arenas brought his guns to the locker room and put them in a chair by Crittenton's locker with a sign saying, "Pick 1." Crittenton then retrieved his own gun and showed it to Arenas.

Crittenton pleaded guilty in January to a misdemeanor gun charge and received a year of unsupervised probation. Arenas entered his guilty plea on Jan. 15.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

Looks like he dodged a bullet, there.

On that note...Ted Leonsis should really consider changing the logo/colors back to the Bullets. 

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

didn't Grunfeld say he still wanted Gil in a Wizards uniform ?
indifferent.gif

Who cares what he says, he's gone when the new owner comes in.

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

I am sure he will make a nice Hi-B*#ch-i for some guy

grin.gif
Leave the jokes to Ricky Gervais.

But yeah, dude got lucky. Hope he learns some sort of lesson from this.

he messed up royally, but i didn't wana see him in jail. didn't wanna see plax in jail either. i just hope he learned from the situation.

dude might need to see a psychiatrist though... and someone needs to teach him not to play practical jokes on teammates.

moral of the story? don't bring a a gun in new york. get caught in the capital of the country with priors? you'll be straight
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom