Goin Half On A Baby....Literally

Will This Legislation Help Lower The Abortion Rate

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
New Utah law requires fathers to pay 50 percent of pregnancy costs

The bill will apply to “pregnancy-related medical costs” and health insurance premiums.

A new state law in Utah will legally require that biological fathers pay half of women's pregnancy expenses. Some states, such as New York and Wisconsin, have similar financial provisions for pregnancies.

In cases where a child's paternity is disputed, the father won't need to pay until the paternity is established. Fathers will also not be liable to pay for abortions carried out without their consent, except in cases of rape or when the mother's life is endangered.

The chairman of Abortion-Free Utah, Merrilee Boyack, hopes by relieving some financial pressures on pregnant women, there will be a decrease in abortions.

However, some activists, such as Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Katrina Barker, while supportive of aiding pregnant women financially, don't believe the bill adequately addresses their other critical needs, such as access to contraception, more expansive health care and paid parental leave.

Similarly, Barker said she finds it unlikely the bill will lead to a lower abortion rate, as the financial costs of a pregnancy remain miniscule in comparison to those of having and raising a child.

"In the grand scheme of things, having a child and raising them to adulthood is going to be a lot more money," Barker said.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average cost of raising a child in a middle-income family is $233,610, not including the cost of college.

ShinStation - Game Over - #017 - Wrap it Up - YouTube

Pardon my ignorance as a single male who has never had a child or any scares but are these costs currently not covered by insurance? What costs are the referring and how much are they generally?

Pardon my ignorance as a single male who has never had a child or any scares but are these costs currently not covered by insurance? What costs are the referring and how much are they generally?

Depends on your insurance. My BMs covered 80%, but having a kid is expensive, especially if there are complications. Our PICU visit shortly after birth cost 300k... 20% of that is still a good chunk of money.

Depends on your insurance. My BMs covered 80%, but having a kid is expensive, especially if there are complications. Our PICU visit shortly after birth cost 300k... 20% of that is still a good chunk of money.
:wow: $60K is more than the median US household income! Are folks allowed to finance finance it? If so, how many years do they do it over? Jeez, man |l

I know the woman bares the child, but does the father have 50% on the decision since it'll effect both parties lives?

I guess this goes back to, if you're going to go raw, make sure it's with someone that you're prepared to spend your future with or at least share the same sentiments as you in regards to having a baby.

This is why even “middle class” millennials aren’t having kids. Cost of everything is insane.
This is all shocking to me which I guess shows how much I’ve thought about having kids :lol: Here I was all this time thinking that my initial cash outlay in a marriage would be in a ring, wedding and honeymoon but y’all saying I might need to come up off another 60K+ plus of them thangs :wow:

I know the woman bares the child, but does the father have 50% on the decision since it'll effect both parties lives?
RT. I think it was Dave Chappelle who said (to paraphrase) "It's her body, so no one has the right to tell her what to do with it...but if the man doesn't want to keep it, but she does, he shouldn't have to pay [child support].

It was a joke it for a set he was doing but valid imo. The decisions controlled currently as it stands, by the woman only will affect both parties drastically for atleast 18yrs. Having only one of the two persons involved making these is almost as bad as having the government make them for you.

Back
Top Bottom