going a half size up? length or width wise?

I ve always wonder this. I always hear people say that if a shoe fits snug to go a half size up. But wouldnt that mean the length would be longer aswell? or is there not that much of a difference on length when going a half size up?

wouldnt it be just better to keep the shoes snug and break um in rather than have long shoes that make you slip and trip over everything?

Originally Posted by NobleKane

wouldnt it be just better to keep the shoes snug and break um in rather than have long shoes that make you slip and trip over everything?

Some shoes don't necessarily break in like that, and even where they do, the hassle may be too much.

In terms of slipping/triping, most Sports shoes will never be put through anything more than a trip to the mall anyway.

Originally Posted by swingshot

Some shoes don't necessarily break in like that, and even where they do, the hassle may be too much.

In terms of slipping/triping, most Sports shoes will never be put through anything more than a trip to the mall anyway.

thanks for your imput swingshot. if you were to use ball shoes for ballin how much room should you have from your toe to the end of your shoe?

i usually leave about half to quarter of an inch of space because you dont want your toes to jam on a hard stop or cut etc. so approximately a thumb nail to half a thumb nail of space...depends on other factors such as width, if the shoe is wider then I may go with just half a thumb nail worth of space because my if i have thumb nail length of space the foot will slide a lot more and blisters. However if its snug in terms of width then it shouldnt really matter if you got thumbnail or half thumbnail length.

hope that helps.

Depend on the shoes imo. Some shoes has a longer shape/higher cut or narrow and shorter length etc. But going half a size up will not hurt you. As long as your heel doesn't slip and your toes aren't swimming around then you're good to go

Also bear in mind, some Retros have been a little narrow compared to OGs over the years.

thanks for your imput swingshot. if you were to use ball shoes for ballin how much room should you have from your toe to the end of your shoe?

Originally Posted by blackcat23mj

i usually leave about half to quarter of an inch of space because you dont want your toes to jam on a hard stop or cut etc.

I'd tend to prefer sticking closer to the quarter inch myself but it's a matter of personal perference.

good question, i have wide feet myself...well, relatively wide. my true size is 8.5....but with the kobe's i had to go with a 9. half a size up isn't really that big of a difference in my opinion, so when in doubt, i try and go up .5 size. unless they're known to fit big, then i'd get my 8.5.

i've got wider feet so i go half a size up. i just like to think my fat foot fills in the rest of the now available space.

also, i like leave probably the 1/4 inch of moving space (if that) in shoes worn for ball.

many people don't know there real size. a lot of people have wide feet but a lot of shoes don't come in wide so they try to make the fit work by going up in size.

i think length for playing is just preference, some like shoes a bit shorter length from their toes or a little more room

Back
Top Bottom