Going camping for the first time in a while..

Since I was a little kid actually, and I was wondering if there were any tips that the NT famb could give me. I'm going w/ my girl, another couple and my homeboy (we all know each other) for 4 days and 3 nights out by Mt Shasta.

Now, we're not HARDCORE camping, the campsite has showers apparently and bathrooms and grills.. but I do need to know if there are regular crucial things that people often forget when camping.

Any help / suggestions would be great!

Can't wait to get out and fish some of the lakes they got out there, I'll be the only one fishing in my group and what i catch will be dinner one night :smokin

Bring back up food for when you catch just a gold fish.

Too bad the lakes there are stocked w/ hatchery trout and they're lazy / fat as hell. Just stick down a piece of power bait long enough and you'll put out some fat dinner fillets. :tongue:

Since I was a little kid actually, and I was wondering if there were any tips that the NT famb could give me. I'm going w/ my girl, another couple and my homeboy (we all know each other) for 4 days and 3 nights out by Mt Shasta.

Now, we're not HARDCORE camping, the campsite has showers apparently and bathrooms and grills.. but I do need to know if there are regular crucial things that people often forget when camping.

Any help / suggestions would be great!

Can't wait to get out and fish some of the lakes they got out there, I'll be the only one fishing in my group and what i catch will be dinner one night :smokin

I actualy love camping at my older age. It's pretty much just an excuse to eat good food, drink and be outside.

I would recommend a matress if you can get one. It makes sleeping alot better since you'd be on the hard ground. That is always my gripe everytime I go cause I always forget that and a damn pillow. Also don't forget the crucial things like matches, wood, charcoal, lighter fluid, ice, other dumb things like sun block and bug spray. I mean there are a bunch more but the matress thing goes a long way.....and beer. It sort of sucks when you are dry, but that is me.

I actualy love camping at my older age. It's pretty much just an excuse to eat good food, drink and be outside.

I would recommend a matress if you can get one. It makes sleeping alot better since you'd be on the hard ground. That is always my gripe everytime I go cause I always forget that and a damn pillow. Also don't forget the crucial things like matches, wood, charcoal, lighter fluid, ice, other dumb things like sun block and bug spray. I mean there are a bunch more but the matress thing goes a long way.....and beer. It sort of sucks when you are dry, but that is me.

True. I found myself enjoying outdoor life in the recent years compared to just binge drinking every weekend.

I actually went camping 3 weeks ago with some homies. No showers/bathroom. Just a lake and digging a hole to do the business. :smokin

Some things I'd pack in this weather:

Bug Spray/repellent
Sunblock
Sleeping bag/pad
Toiletries (TP, toothbrush, etc)
Flashlight
Lighter/matches to start a campfire
Hoody
Socks
Water
Food
Alcohol

Yo it's funny that you made this thread, bruh. Made me reminisce about a previous, subtle camping experience and now my boy just hit me up about camping this weekend :lol:

This universe....

Sandles and beater shoes are a must too. Never try to stunt out in the woods when there is no point. I always bring shoes that I sort of like but don't care if they get messed up and they usually get totally trashed by the end of the trip. Just go with the intent of having one pair of shoes trashed afterwards. Hate stepping in the lake with my kicks.

Use dry ice to keep your perishables cold - I put it on the bottom of the cooler, cover it with a layer of cardboard, put bags of cubed ice (to use for drinks) over that, and then all of your meat, veggies, etc. This set up will last you a few days guaranteed.

Make sure you put up everything. I went camping in Austin a few weeks back and the squirrels got to the bread and eye balling our stuff the whole time we were back lol. Make sure you have like a solar fan or something at night cause it gets hot in the tent

Make sure you put up everything. I went camping in Austin a few weeks back and the squirrels got to the bread and eye balling our stuff the whole time we were back lol. Make sure you have like a solar fan or something at night cause it gets hot in the tent
yup, make sure you lock up your food at night to keep it from raccoons and bears - campsites near bear areas will have metal lockers for your food. to keep it away from raccoons, just load the coolers back into your car. don't bother with putting heavy stuff on cooler lids or coolers with fancy latches, raccoons are clever and know their way around it.

on that note, you should always pack extra food in the event you get ransacked. nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and having to trek back out to civilization to hit up the grocery store.

Camping is great especially if you're out in the wilderness and not in some campground with showers and running water. I mean nothing wrong with that but it's more refreshing where you can find a spot in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and just chill. Nobody around and it's just you guys with mother nature. Yes you gotta dig to take a dump! :lol:

Everyone covered what you need. One thing I always bring is a canopy with screen. I put my coolers and food there to keep it away from the bugs.

And yeah as someone mentioned.. I always bring a gun/knives with me. Most likely State Parks don't allow firearms... but hey... who needs to know right?

yup, make sure you lock up your food at night to keep it from raccoons and bears - campsites near bear areas will have metal lockers for your food. to keep it away from raccoons, just load the coolers back into your car. don't bother with putting heavy stuff on cooler lids or coolers with fancy latches, raccoons are clever and know their way around it.

on that note, you should always pack extra food in the event you get ransacked. nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and having to trek back out to civilization to hit up the grocery store.

THIS. last time i went camping my girls jeep was bodied by racooons...tried to open that soft top. someone decided to leave the cooler with food on the table and go to bed. black bear came thru and ski masked my girl's cocoa crispies...took it about 30-40 feet from out camp and started grubbin. we watched this unfold early in the morning.

once the bear rolled out i left my tent and started packing **** up, and threw it in the car. decided to check on the bear so i walked towards him but he stopped eating and stuck his head out of the ditch and hit me with the
blackbear.jpg

so i hit him with the
Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

...turns out the bear obliterated the campsite next to us. we were lucky. if you get caught with food out, rangers WILL hit you with a MASSIVE fine.(in the thousands). we got lucky, they came around with shotguns, but the food was packed away already :pimp:

Last edited:
Bring TP, pads to sleep on, speakers, some :smokin :smokin, you'll have a good time. keep some granola bars and trail mix in ya backpack

Oh.....and this is sort of a personal perference but come with some sort of a way to charge your phone, whether it is a battery pack or whatever. I mean you'll probably not have signal anyways but I used my phone for music and even taking photos and its a pain when it dies so early.

A video recorder just in case you see big foot. 

People always forget the video recorder. Always!!!

Ya'll forgot the most important thing to bring.......

This will save your life bro!

Back
Top Bottom