Going to Jamaica next week...

We are staying in Montego Bay at an All Inclusive place but I was taking a look at the resort and the beach is pretty small. Not sure why I didn't catch onthis earlier. I guess the price and free food got to me.

I was reading up on Negril though and its only 1 hr and 15 min away. I hear the beaches there are sick and the water is 100% clearer. Anyone ever took the tripbefore for the day? Or stay in Montego Bay? Negril?

montego bay has more going on....negril is all resorts but the beaches are off the chain and there's rick's cafe (1 of the top 10 bars in the world)and cliff jumping

I spent half a day in Ocho Rios last month.

It was pretty eye-opening seeing the contrast of the touristy areas vs. the "real" Jamaica. I had a great conversation with our cabby/tour guide aswe sat in somebody's backyard eating jerk chicken, and hearing mangoes and coconuts falling from the trees left and right.

I was really getting my Anthony Bourdain on, asking questions that I probably wouldn't have had I not watched the Travel Channel constantly for the lastyear or so. He told me that most tourists are scared into not seeing the real Jamaica. The resorts and the cruise liners hoard people into purchasingexcursions that put money into the wrong pockets on the island. The main shopping center right off the dock were owned by Indians and British businessmen,filtering some, but not enough money into the local community.

It was a beautiful experience, probably the best of my week long cruise in the Caribbean.

your probably going to the same one i went too Riu? Montego bay is nice but go to negril for a day and theres a couple clubs in montego bay. Its nice the wholecounrty is really mellow if you catch my drift haha

Jamaica is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by INFAMOUS199

your probably going to the same one i went too Riu? Montego bay is nice but go to negril for a day and theres a couple clubs in montego bay. Its nice the whole counrty is really mellow if you catch my drift haha
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

i heard kids walk around with handguns and ak-47. i dont know if its true. but watch out. just like in my native country. you can easily get robbed.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I spent half a day in Ocho Rios last month.

It was pretty eye-opening seeing the contrast of the touristy areas vs. the "real" Jamaica. I had a great conversation with our cabby/tour guide as we sat in somebody's backyard eating jerk chicken, and hearing mangoes and coconuts falling from the trees left and right.

I was really getting my Anthony Bourdain on, asking questions that I probably wouldn't have had I not watched the Travel Channel constantly for the last year or so. He told me that most tourists are scared into not seeing the real Jamaica. The resorts and the cruise liners hoard people into purchasing excursions that put money into the wrong pockets on the island. The main shopping center right off the dock were owned by Indians and British businessmen, filtering some, but not enough money into the local community.

It was a beautiful experience, probably the best of my week long cruise in the Caribbean.

And Asians with a Jamaican accent. When they first spoke to me i was like
eek.gif

Out of 4 Caribbean Islands I been to Jamaica is my least favorite...

I was just in Negril last year...it's is absolutely beautiful. I stayed at Tensing Pen, and at the resort food was SO expensive...however, if you literallygo 5 feet across the street (watch out for mopeds), you can get some of the most delicious, FRESH, and inexpensive food that you can eat. So many littlerestaurants around Negril. Conch fritters, curry goat, curry shrimp, and jerk chicken for days....not to mention Ting
laugh.gif
Anyways...I'd never do anall-inclusive cause I'm all about eating the local cuisine....Negril is the spot bro....

My dad had a spot on the island in Ocho Rios.. I've still never been there. He moved his Jamaican wife over to the states bout 3 years ago. Her asss needsto be departed, I hate her.

I'm trying to get out there this August tho.

just get the hell out those dumb $@% resorts and chill in the real jamaica

its like all the people who come to africa yet they stay in some dumb resort, might as well just ride a lame $@% cruise!

get out there, risk gettin robbed, and have a good time

what resort you staying at?... i stayed at Rose Hall when I went down there last year... Not bad

Oh... and leaving your resort is a bad idea... I left the resort to go out one night and almost got robbed twice.

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

i heard kids walk around with handguns and ak-47. i dont know if its true. but watch out. just like in my native country. you can easily get robbed.
i heard that too. might just be in some places though. but i had that in mind when i read the topic, so OP gimme you S/N
grin.gif

idk about jamaica, my impression is that its not as bad as east africa, but its probably somewhere near that level of messed-up-ness

I do know for a fact though, that in africa (and therefore prob jamaica too) you should pretty much expect guns to be pulled on you, especially if your atourist

I mean I can pretty much walk down the streets in ethiopia, and feel safe, but its still not the best idea. However, Ive got plenty of connections down thereand know quite a few rich locals. The thing is I dont have that tourist look, even though Im dressed like someone from the hood here, I still just employ adiff demeanor when Im over there

I can spot a tourist from as far as I can see, not a good look. You are more likely to come through unscathed if your black though.

I am from there, BEAUTIFUL. People have misconceptions about how bad it is, its like anywhere else, if you don't start trouble you won't find any.

Originally Posted by de PHX Jose

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

i heard that too. might just be in some places though. but i had that in mind when i read the topic, so OP gimme you S/N
grin.gif
I seen the babylon w. the AKs, but never any kids.....

I went thru some REAL shady parts of Jamaica...walked around at night (no problems for me)..although I seen some dude get hit w. a rock upside the head in amini-mart
laugh.gif
smh.gif
bottom line, use common sense and you'll be fine....

Is you are staying in Montego Bay make sure you visit the haunted mansion in Rose Hall where Annie Palmer used to live.

Back
Top Bottom