Going to SoCal on Labor Day Weekend

Hi SoCal folks,

The wife and I are planning on taking a trip to Manhattan or Hermosa Beach for Labor Day Weekend. Anyone have any insight of what there is to do in that area?I know that there will be a Festival at Hermosa beach all weekend long, but other than that...we don't know much. We were simply looking to get away for the weekend. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks again.

Hey bro, if you're planning on chilling in Hermosa you will be right next door to Manhattan.  Take a walk down to Manhattan Pier.  Nice to just walk around and there are plenty of bars for you to stop by if you want to grab a drink.  Sharkey's is cool for low key, relaxed atmosphere. You'll also be close to downtown (~15-20 minutes).  Essentially, you'll be in the South Bay area.  You can also head down to Redondo Beach for an amazing crab shack at the end of the pier.  Would NOT recommend swimming at Redondo.  The water at Hermosa/Manhattan is nice.

Hey bro, if you're planning on chilling in Hermosa you will be right next door to Manhattan.  Take a walk down to Manhattan Pier.  Nice to just walk around and there are plenty of bars for you to stop by if you want to grab a drink.  Sharkey's is cool for low key, relaxed atmosphere. You'll also be close to downtown (~15-20 minutes).  Essentially, you'll be in the South Bay area.  You can also head down to Redondo Beach for an amazing crab shack at the end of the pier.  Would NOT recommend swimming at Redondo.  The water at Hermosa/Manhattan is nice.
Nice, I noticed that Manhattan and Hermosa were next to each other. Is the walking distance far? I've been reading that parking is a pain in Manhattan Beach, but that and Hermosa are preferred beaches to go and enjoy at. I'll look into that crab shack, as well!

Is the water in Redondo Beach that bad? lol

You wouldn't go wrong with either. I would say Manhattan Beach has a bit more to offer for tourist. Parking is horrible, and will be worse for Labor Day. Move early and you'll be fine.

Yikes. Okay thanks for the heads up. My wife is pregnant, so I'm not sure if moving 'early' is an option lol. We'll be driving back home on Labor Day so I'm hoping Saturday or Sunday, it won't be too bad. (yeah, right)

You aint hear the news OP? It's no safe out here. 100 Beach Dayz 100 Beach Nightz bruh. Stay where you are.

You aint hear the news OP? It's no safe out here. 100 Beach Dayz 100 Beach Nightz bruh. Stay where you are.
eyes.gif

Booked my hotel in Hermosa Beach! Can't wait to relax and check out Fiesta Hermosa and enjoy the area.

Any must see places in Hermosa or Manhattan Beach? Or should we just relax and chill on the beach?

If you want good places to eat, I'd try heading out to Malibu. Venice has good spots as well and you're next to it. Well, almost.

If you want good places to eat, I'd try heading out to Malibu. Venice has good spots as well and you're next to it. Well, almost.
Yeah, from the plans of it. We're going to be driving all over the place. So I'll look into places in Malibu...Also wife wants to to go to Venice and see the canals. So hopefully we can find things to do there as well.

Where can I buy baby turtles though?
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Baby turtles?! What... Check out Mao's Kitchen in Venice... pretty good if you're into Taiwanese food. Kind of hipsterish but still delish! The canals are not what you expect them to be. In fact, watch out walking around that area at night.  Not like you're going to get mugged, but people know when you're not from here as you would expect in any city.  Malibu for romantic date stuff... venice for tourist  walk around day time stuff... manhattan/hermosa for chill vibes.  Paisano Pizza in Manhttan is killer!

Baby turtles?! What... Check out Mao's Kitchen in Venice... pretty good if you're into Taiwanese food. Kind of hipsterish but still delish! The canals are not what you expect them to be. In fact, watch out walking around that area at night.  Not like you're going to get mugged, but people know when you're not from here as you would expect in any city.  Malibu for romantic date stuff... venice for tourist  walk around day time stuff... manhattan/hermosa for chill vibes.  Paisano Pizza in Manhttan is killer!
Yeah, I heard that theres a spot in Downtown LA that supposedly sells baby turtles. lol.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mao's Kitchen. I'd like to check it out, since I've never had Taiwanese food. I honestly have no interest in seeing the Canals, but my wife wants to lol.

I'll add Paisano Pizza to the list, as well.

So far, we plan on eating or checking out (based on what my wife wants):

- Urth Cafe

- Lemonade

- Grand Central Market

- Egg ****

Anyone have any recommended spots to check out around the Burbank area? Taking my wife to the WB Studio Tour and figured we'd be in the area majority of the day.

Go to Chinatown
-Phillipes
-Little Jewel of New Orleans (po'boys)
-Won Kok (dim sum)

Baby Turtles are at Santee Alley.

Then go check out the notorious jails: Men's Central Jail

Back
Top Bottom