Golf Discussion - The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool Golf Club

This thread is mainly for the casual -- or avid -- golfers on NT, but PGA discussion is probably unavoidable.

I started getting into golf a few summers ago, but was never a consistent goer. I've collected a few clubs here and there, mainly hand-me-downs and I'm ready to go from a just-a-thing-to-do golfer to more casual. As in, I want to go at least, two weekends a month, but try for 4 or 5 times in total a month.

I suck though. :lol:

I heard everyone starting should get lessons, so I'll get on that. Other than that, the best tip I received thus far is in terms of driving. I'm the common slicer guy, but an in-law suggested rolling over my left hand (I'm a right handed golfer, if that helps) more inwards on my grip in order to eliminate the slice. For the most part, that has helped tremendously. Now my goal is consistency, but also learning my clubs.

I went to the driving range yesterday and only hit with my pitching wedge and driver. I need to get down my distances and various shot techniques with my pitching wedge -- I feel that it's important -- before I advance to the other clubs. Normally, I'd guess at what club to use or listen to someone else I'd be playing with, but the results were scatter shot, so I'm stripping myself to the basics for now.

Cliff notes - Let's talk playing golf!

Advice? Comments? Shared jubilation of a golf thread?

Last edited:
YouTube follows like Rick Shiels and Chris Ryan are helpful for me.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on my first legit putter tomorrow. I'm eyeing the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

I played last year for the first time since I was like 9 or 10 years old (27 now). Never took any lessons just went and started playing and have been trying to figure it out on my own. First few times I played 18 holes it was pretty bad my total strokes was like 115-120 easy. Played from May until October and by October I was shooting high 90s to 105 every round. Difficult sport but relaxing at the same time.

Buy a used iron set. Global Golf is great website for good deals.

Work on short game often. Most strokes are gained/lost chipping. If you have a yard get a shag bag and chip away. Find a wedge you can hit a variety of shots with and practice.

Remember golf is hard. Even harder if you live where winter is severe and you cant play for months. I live in KY ant play til March or so. If it is 40ish and not too windy ill play.

I started playing about 8 years ago, love it. Couldnt break 100 first year. Last year I had my best round 74. Dont be a club ho, lessons then a proper fitting much better for game than constantly buying new clubs. Dont obsess about how far you hit clubs. Groove a consistent swing and play your game.

A rangefinder is great tool for practicing and if you play new courses often.

Lessons are really helpful after you practice/play a while. Find a good teacher and score will really improve.

Good youtube follows:

For club reviews: Mark Crossfield, Rick Shiels.
Lessons: Meandmygolf

Drivers are like cars they depreciate quickly, i always wait a year and pick one up for half price or less. Callaway Epic is tempting, outdoor demo day is April 1st here, cant wait.

I've been in love with golf for about 5-6 years now, there's nothing better.

Just a great way to spend a Saturday/ Sunday afternoon with my homies drinking and smoking and shooting the ****.

I pretty decent now usually shoot in the mid 80s on average, living in the Bay Area is great. You can play year round unless it's dumping it rain like it has been lately.

We have some input. :smokin

Is the height of your clubs a big thing? Obviously, it can if it's too short or long, but is there a general rule of thumb about this? I'm talking specifically the irons. I've collected 3 pitching wedges and all are different sizes and I have no idea if one would be better than the other. The length difference isn't huge by any means, but still noticeable. The only real different I've felt so far is the differences between a steel shaft and graphite shaft. Prefer steel.

Last edited:
We have some input. :smokin

Is the height of your clubs a big thing? Obviously, it can if it's too short or long, but is there a general rule of thumb about this? I'm talking specifically the irons. I've collected 3 pitching wedges and all are different sizes and I have no idea if one would be better than the other. The length difference isn't huge by any means, but still noticeable. The only real different I've felt so far is the differences between a steel shaft and graphite shaft. Prefer steel.

Height matters after a while, the difference in length is probably due to the different years of the set. The sets the last 5 years or so are usually longer and lofts a little stronger compared to old sets.

I like my irons +1/2 inch than stock. All companies have a different stock length. After you play a while and decide if you want new irons go get fit. It cost $50 or so but they will waive the fee if you buy clubs from them. They will measure your wrist to floor to help determine if you need stock, longer, or shorter shaft lengths.

Ping has an excellent fitting system that uses different color dots for the lie angle. I got fit and use +1/2 inch and 2degrees upright, helped me to hit a draw. Turns into a mean hook though if i get too quick.

View media item 2316301
Earlier today...
Started playing 4 months ago.

I've been shooting a (9 hole) 40-43/100-110 as of now. Today I shot a 117... it was my brother's birthday and we had a couple coolers full. It was just nonsense. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could play all year round. I'll be lucky to play in March or April the way the weather is in Pittsburgh

:lol: well I don't know how much better it is here.

Bay Area is ok, but we were literally ankle deep in mud half the time. Played last weekend in some heavy rain.

Makes it harder, pretty fun to do. Playing in snow with a Volvik would be fun.

Snow hasn't been much of an issue here this year so far. Just too cold for me to play. When it's actually a random nice day in the 50s it seems to rain.

Played today out in the East Bay it was absolutely perfect. Shot an 86.

I'm almost 6"5 so I got fitted for clubs and my Taylormade PSIs are 1.5 inches longer than standard.

The only way to get good/decent at golf is to play consistently, there's no way around it. My favorite is during the summer getting out for 9-12 holes after work. Usually much cheaper and less crowded, and ur only playing golf 2.5 hrs instead of 5 on a weekend.

I've heard that Yohca Dehe is an amazing place, but way out past Sac and $100/round is a little much.

I'm more in the $25-$45/round realm....

Favorite/Top Easy Bay Courses in no particular order:

1. Boundary Oak - Walnut Creek

2. Lake Chabot Golf Course - Oakland

3. Canyon Lakes - San Ramon

4. Franklin Canyon - Hercules

5. Tilden Park - Oakland/Berkeley Hills

Just played Las Positas over the weekend. Really nice course, wasn't a huge fan of the greens.

The staff was great.

I'm a member and go to Monarch Bay in San Leandro... the 18 is a tough course. Little left, little right on most holes and say goodbye to your ball for sure.

^ Played Monarch a handful of times, I like it a lot.

The wind can get pretty crazy blowing right off the ocean, have you hitting a driver on a par 3 and still coming up short :lol:

^
Sounds like the women's PGA tournament I was watching the other day when nothing else was on. Par 3 roughly about 200 yards they were using hybrids and I believe a 3 wood and were coming up short with the wind blowing 40 plus mph

Quick tip to help shave strokes off your score ---

PRACTICE PUTTING!

Everyone thinks practice means going to the range and working on your swing, mindlessly hitting balls. This is of course important, but don't forget to spend time on the practice green. Develop a routine, practice reading breaks, and most of all take your time when putting.

Focus on eliminating 3 putts, and you will see your score lower.

Fully agreed, that's how I've been able to get my score down to this point.

My routine:

30 minutes of putting.
30 minutes of chipping from the rough, from bunkers, and green.

The biggest thing I'm working on now if my damn driver swing. Just can't find it yet.

I'm pretty good at two putting from 20 feet and beyond. Pretty good with my wedges. Just can't get my driver/off the tee down.

Next on my to do list is lessons, those are expensive though... be some time until I pull that trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lessons are the best investment you can make as a golfer. A trained set of eyes and a lil practice can make a big difference on your scores.

Back
Top Bottom