Gonzaga Bulldogs Vs Xavier Musketters Vol. Which One Is The Better Mid-Major Team?

I was wondering, though Gonzaga may have more wins and be the more popular name in the sports world, Xavier has had arguably a better run in the last 10 years while playing in a tougher conference than the WCC.

Both have been very consistent in past years but it seems Xavier always play up to hype in March Madness then The Zag's does. Idk could just be my opinion but i'm just wondering which team is the better Non-BCS program

What do you guys think?

I don't think it's fair to classify either as a mid-major anymore.

That said, Xavier because of Sean Miller
pimp.gif

Being from the West Coast, I would love to say Gonzaga. I am a huge Mark Few fan. Having said that, I would have to say Xavier. They have done remarkably well in the tourney and the former Xavier alumni in the NBA or formerly in the NBA is pretty impressive. Plus, they are closer to the Cincinnatis and Ohio State in terms of caliber than the likes of Miami (OH), Daytona, and Ohio U.

It's Xavier and it's not really that close to be honest.  Like you said, they have always played in a better conference.

Short term: they have been in 2 Elite 8's and 2 Sweet 16's (with the chance to move even further this weekend) just in the last 6 years.

Long term: Tourney appearances in 1961, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

Compared to Gonzaga: 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Also, their coaching legacy:

Sean Miller - Arizona
Thad Matta - Ohio State
Skip Prosser - Wake Forrest
Pete Gillen - Virginia

And now Chris Mack, yet they never miss a beat.  The program just continues to win.  Before Mark Few, nobody really knew who Gonzaga was other than where John Stockton went to college.

No disrespect to Gonzaga though...it's obviously a very good program.

I Agree with you on that. Xavier plays & beats the teams there supposed to beat while Gonzaga always seems to disappointment come tourney time

Xavier. No doubt. Gonzaga almost always disappoints in the tourney no matter how good they look in the regular season.

I think the selection committee had it right this year giving them the 8 seed. Anything better would be pushing it.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Xavier. No doubt. Gonzaga almost always disappoints in the tourney no matter how good they look in the regular season.

I think the selection committee had it right this year giving them the 8 seed. Anything better would be pushing it.

Same thing i thought, i was bracing for the committee giving them a top 6 seed but they finally thought about it
laugh.gif

Xavier isn't a mid-major any more but they definitely are the better team. Mid-major teams don't rank in the Top 15 for team value on the Forbes list. Their success in the past 5 or so years has elevated them to being a major team in a mid-major conference IMO.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Xavier isn't a mid-major any more but they definitely are the better team. Mid-major teams don't rank in the Top 15 for team value on the Forbes list. Their success in the past 5 or so years has elevated them to being a major team in a mid-major conference IMO.

This.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom