Good decision by the Obama Administration

He just nominated one of my professors to be commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
pimp.gif
Just got done taking a class with him, and I must say, if we can get morepeople in government like him, we'll see some progress in America. The part that excites me the most is the fact that prof. Adler is well aware of thelegal and moral issues facing people today, and he has a pretty diverse understanding of various (and differing) moral/ethical philosophies.

http://www.whitehouse.gov...ma-Fills-New-CPSC-Posts/

WASHINGTON - Today, President Obama announced his intent to nominate Inez Moore Tenenbaum as Chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) andRobert S. Adler as a new Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Furthermore, in the President's budget, the CPSC receives $107 million, a71 percent increase in resources since FY 2007. This is almost three quarters of the way to meeting the President's goal of doubling CPSC'sfunding.

President Obama believes strongly in the mission of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: to protect the public, especially children, from unreasonablerisks of serious injury or death from consumer products, including children's products such as toys and strollers. For over fifteen years, CPSC hasoperated with only three Commissioners. To revitalize the agency, President Obama is going to expand the Commission later this summer, to include fiveCommissioners at CPSC. If confirmed, Robert Adler would fill one of these new posts. The addition of extra Commissioners is tangible evidence of PresidentObama's commitment to restoring the health of the agency, and will ensure opportunity for additional viewpoints to be expressed at the top of theagency.

President Obama said, "It is a top priority of my administration to ensure that the products the American people depend on are safe.We must do more to protect the American public - especially our nation's children - from being harmed by unsafe products. I am confident that Inez and Bobhave the commitment and expertise necessary to fill these roles and raise the standard of safety. To ensure these goals are met, I will also increase thenumber of Commissioners at the CPSC. I am confident this new leadership at the CPSC will revitalize the agency and achieve the high standard of product safetythat the American people deserve."

Robert S. Adler, Nominee for Commissioner, Consumer Product Safety Commission

Robert S. Adler has a breadth of experience in consumer product safety issues and an extensive knowledge of the CPSC. He is currently a Professor of LegalStudies and the Luther H. Hodges, Jr. Scholar in Law & Ethics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Kenan-Flagler Business School. Hehas served as the Associate Dean of the MBA Program and as Associate Dean for the School's Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Program. Arecipient of teaching awards both within the business school and university-wide, Adler's research and teaching focus on consumer protection, productliability, ethics, regulation and negotiation. Before joining the UNC faculty, Adler served as Counsel on the Committee on Energy and Commerce where headvised on CPSC legislative and oversight issues under the leadership of Henry Waxman. Prior to that, he spent eleven years (from 1973-1984) as anattorney-advisor to two commissioners at the CPSC in Washington, D.C. One of the commissioners for whom he worked was David Pittle, an original appointee atthe inception of the CPSC. Before joining the CPSC, Adler served as a Deputy Attorney General for the Pennsylvania Justice Department, where he headed thesouthwest regional office of the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection. Adler has been elected six times to the board of directors of Consumers Union,publisher of Consumer Reports magazine. He also served on the Obama-Biden Presidential Transition Team and co-authored the agency review report on the CPSC. Adler graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and received his J.D. from the University of Michigan.

Eh not totally. Don't know him super well, but I have a feel for the type of person he is - pretty honest guy in my opinion. Have a stupid three pagepaper to write in his class though.

perhaps this is something more suited for the latter years of his term?

Back
Top Bottom