Good Read: Kids Who ‘Talk Back’ Become More Successful Adults

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”
I have this same quote posted on my wall at work :pimp:
The white man so greedy

through my experience the kids who listened to there parents became the most successful myself included. Of course we talked back a couple times but the level of respect for those older than us was instilled early.

Cant listen to advice when im too busy talking back and questioning before the sentence is over. 

A NTer was at the grocery store in a small rural town in Mexico.
As he went in line to check out He spotted a mexican with a cart full of expensive groceries.
The nter complimented the mexican on the quality of his groceries and asked him how he could afford so much.

The mexican replied " i work 12 hours a day so i can splurge and buy mi familia the best groceries.
The nter replied "but then you have little time to spend with your fambilia"

The mexican replied "si....si....pero i work all day and all night, sleep little, have little time with mi ninos but at the end of a long day at work i come home and sit to myself with the oreos and watch the netflix.
and sometimes we like to go out to eat but is muy expensive with el tipping amigo"
The nter scoffed "lol i have a bachelors degree in ethics as well as business , all you have to do is taste the oreos and the other treats you have in the store to save about 20 dolares...and dont tip at all at los restaurantes that will save you more dinero mi amigo.... then you can work a little less y spend more time with your kids and watch the netflix.

The mexican replied..."pero...isnt that wrong?"

The nter laughed and replied
" amigo.....if you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the spoils always go to the rich, or the oreos to the hard working? Should they be allowed to flourish merely because of their moral barometer ? Well I say, "scumbaggery is the gift man gives himself."

The mexican replied

"Gracias amigo......gracias"

Put that on your fn wall

Everyone's definition of success is different, nothing to argue about especially salary wise.

IMO if you can double your salary during your career that is an accomplishment in itself,

so if someone started at 30K and makes it to 60K that is pretty good. If someone starts at 60K and makes it to 120K that is also good, its all relative.

I dont care. Still spanking my kids when the talk back to me. They gotta learn respect and obedience

Lol i didnt even read the article as the title alone sounds dumb. KIds that ask a ton of questions shows they have hunger and desire to learn, talking back just shows lack of discipline.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

fam i feel this and get it but honesty some people hustle and grind for their last names, not their first. word to Dame Dash

“Millions – then what?”

The point that the story is trying to make is a bad one. The option that the IB suggested brings generational wealth which is something that a person with a family may be concerned about.

Last edited:
Future Ceo of JP Morgan
I agree this kid will be better at getting what he wants later in life. He might still get beat for not listening, but not before he had a chance to argue his case. that is crucial for development

I always have had a big mouth since a child. As many opportunities I've gotten for it, I've also lost just as many. It is what it is, a closed mouth does not get fed. 

Having money goes beyond buying trivial things, having a significant amount of savings means not panicking when your kid needs braces, someone needs emergency medical attention from an operation, car accidents, natural disasters break things in your house, etc.

If we lived in utopia forever and nothing bad ever happened to us, yeah who needs more than $10 in the bank.

“Millions – then what?”

The point that the story is trying to make is a bad one. The option that the IB suggested brings generational wealth which is something that a person with a family may be concerned about.

This is why minorities are where we are. The wealthy kids walk into a job of their choice because their families set them up for success while amigo is drinking coronas with his compadres

This is why minorities are where we are. The wealthy kids walk into a job of their choice because their families set them up for success while amigo is drinking coronas with his compadres
Yeah generational wealth isn't something that is taught to be important to us minorities.

My goal is to be a first generation millionaire (around 80% of millionaires are 1st generation) and pass down the wealth and opportunities to my kids.

The moral of the story is "the white man" over complicates life in order to feel like someone.

All that to retire to do what the Mexican was already doing.

The moral of the story is "the white man" over complicates life in order to feel like someone.

So these things are overcomplicating life in order to feel important:

-Creating lasting wealth so your kid's kids will not have to struggle

-Expanding a business globally

-Providing your products to people across the world who would not have had them otherwise

-Employing people along the way to work for you

-Being financially secure so if something happens to you or your loved ones you will not be in trouble

-Leaving this world having with a legacy and tangible impact

Yeah, sure is overcomplicated - I guess anyone who's ever tried to do something ambitious was just "overcomplicating life to feel like someone".

-Providing your products to people across the world who would not have had them otherwise

-Being financially secure so if something happens to you or your loved ones you will not be in trouble

Yeah, sure is overcomplicated - I guess anyone who's ever tried to do something ambitious was just "overcomplicating life to feel like someone".
smile.gif
 I don't care about any of those things. 

Only one of these are necessary to survive.

Some people are trying to do more than just survive. Different strokes for different folks.

Only one of these are necessary to survive.
Having an internet connection, cell phone, and physical building to live in aren't necessary to survive either. You have at least one of the three. If you want to go primal Into the Wild style, that's your agenda. There's no need to downplay someone else's goals just because you don't have them.

Last edited:
Stuff like this don't really end up being useful.

You can't teach your kids to talk back. You're usually just a parent that gets disrespected. Unless cuz of something like this you gonna be more lax with your children.

The school to prison system is also very real for minority students. I'll leave it up to you to put two and two together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom