Google unveils 'Android App Inventor' (Can we get an official NT App already?)

Basically, Anybody with a decent IQ and little SDK/APK developer knowledge can come up with an app on the Android Marketplace now.

That's a good and bad thing cause it looks like Google is just trying to raise the App numbers in a very cheesy way to say 'Yea, Apple has 200,00 apps. Now the Android Marketplace has 3 billion...40 billion by next month".
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

But useful for ordinary people that don't know much about developing apps and want to learn. Some people are actually gonna come up with some decent ideas and Utility apps for us Android users instead of the 100,000 cheapo crap lite games that take up Apple's app store.

NT desperately needs a mobile version. I hate browsing NT on my phone.

Maybe this is a foot in the door for a decent NT app or mobile way of browsing it on our Android phones.
pimp.gif

Google unveils Android App Inventor, no coding skill required

Ever wanted to create an Android app but just don't have the coding skills? Google's just greatly lowered the barrier for entry with the Android App Inventor. It's akin to Palm's Ares system (and we presume other development platforms? Hey, we're not coders, either) in that it's basically drag-and-drop, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Hit a few buttons, and out spits an app.

A couple of worries about this:
  1. The Android Market is already flooded with hundreds (and likely thousands) of crappy apps. Let's call them crapps. And this is going to make it easier to make more crapps.
  2. This is bound to upset already established developers, right?�(Let us know in the comments, folks.)
  3. Again, crapps. There's been a lot of chatter over the weekend about how the Market's closing in on 100,000 apps�(according to sites like Androlib, anyway). And we're repeat what we have to say every time these milestone stories come up:�There are apps, and there are crapps. We'd rather have 10,000 quality apps than 100,000 crapps. (And never mind that the total includes ringtones, keyboards, wallpapers, etc.)
We go back to a question that asked (by yours truly) of the Android Leadership at Google IO:�Is the Market ever going to curated up front?�Or will it still be up to use to wade our way through the craps? Google being a search company (and the whole openness thing, too), you can imagine which way that went. But we digress.

Let's give Android App Inventor a shot and see where it goes. Certainly the idea is good, and it's worked out well for Palm with Ares. Hit up the source link to find out more, and there's a pretty video after the break, too. [Google App�Inventor

Basically, Anybody with a decent IQ and little SDK/APK developer knowledge can come up with an app on the Android Marketplace now.

That's a good and bad thing cause it looks like Google is just trying to raise the App numbers in a very cheesy way to say 'Yea, Apple has 200,00 apps. Now the Android Marketplace has 3 billion...40 billion by next month".
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

But useful for ordinary people that don't know much about developing apps and want to learn. Some people are actually gonna come up with some decent ideas and Utility apps for us Android users instead of the 100,000 cheapo crap lite games that take up Apple's app store.

NT desperately needs a mobile version. I hate browsing NT on my phone.

Maybe this is a foot in the door for a decent NT app or mobile way of browsing it on our Android phones.
pimp.gif

Google unveils Android App Inventor, no coding skill required

Ever wanted to create an Android app but just don't have the coding skills? Google's just greatly lowered the barrier for entry with the Android App Inventor. It's akin to Palm's Ares system (and we presume other development platforms? Hey, we're not coders, either) in that it's basically drag-and-drop, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Hit a few buttons, and out spits an app.

A couple of worries about this:
  1. The Android Market is already flooded with hundreds (and likely thousands) of crappy apps. Let's call them crapps. And this is going to make it easier to make more crapps.
  2. This is bound to upset already established developers, right?�(Let us know in the comments, folks.)
  3. Again, crapps. There's been a lot of chatter over the weekend about how the Market's closing in on 100,000 apps�(according to sites like Androlib, anyway). And we're repeat what we have to say every time these milestone stories come up:�There are apps, and there are crapps. We'd rather have 10,000 quality apps than 100,000 crapps. (And never mind that the total includes ringtones, keyboards, wallpapers, etc.)
We go back to a question that asked (by yours truly) of the Android Leadership at Google IO:�Is the Market ever going to curated up front?�Or will it still be up to use to wade our way through the craps? Google being a search company (and the whole openness thing, too), you can imagine which way that went. But we digress.

Let's give Android App Inventor a shot and see where it goes. Certainly the idea is good, and it's worked out well for Palm with Ares. Hit up the source link to find out more, and there's a pretty video after the break, too. [Google App�Inventor

so this is basically a shortcut to the site like NT for example? or can u actually make a mobile version of the site? 

so this is basically a shortcut to the site like NT for example? or can u actually make a mobile version of the site? 

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Mobile version is what I'm hoping for.

Android can already make a shortcut to any website with Dolphin browser.

(Long Hold > Shortcut > Dolphin Bookmark > Whatever NT section you want)

A shortcut + mobile version + easily useable emoticons + an option to filter our or block unwanted threads (ie: "I have a Girl problem!!") would be so much Win.

With the widgets too...There's no telling how ill we could make it.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Mobile version is what I'm hoping for.

Android can already make a shortcut to any website with Dolphin browser.

(Long Hold > Shortcut > Dolphin Bookmark > Whatever NT section you want)

A shortcut + mobile version + easily useable emoticons + an option to filter our or block unwanted threads (ie: "I have a Girl problem!!") would be so much Win.

With the widgets too...There's no telling how ill we could make it.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Watchmen

Are you sure you want a mobile NT? Yuku can barely handle the regular NT.
smh.gif

True. Yuku gives me trouble then and now even on my Droid.

Mobile version would be dope or like some dedicated app or something.

Originally Posted by Watchmen

Are you sure you want a mobile NT? Yuku can barely handle the regular NT.
smh.gif

True. Yuku gives me trouble then and now even on my Droid.

Mobile version would be dope or like some dedicated app or something.

I dont think its that big of a deal we don't have a mobile version. Besides, we still need to move to a more efficient server..I'd rather that.

I once thought of making a NT app.....even though I don't have much of a background in coding, that was something I thought about, Yuku being an issue

I dont think its that big of a deal we don't have a mobile version. Besides, we still need to move to a more efficient server..I'd rather that.

I once thought of making a NT app.....even though I don't have much of a background in coding, that was something I thought about, Yuku being an issue

Originally Posted by omgitswes

what would be different about a mobile version than desktop?
Less cluttered.
You don't have to zoom in to read anything.
You use less data. Therefore, less strain on your battery with mobile version sites

Originally Posted by omgitswes

what would be different about a mobile version than desktop?
Less cluttered.
You don't have to zoom in to read anything.
You use less data. Therefore, less strain on your battery with mobile version sites

Was anyone ever succesful at creating an app? I got to the building block part and backed away slowly. Too much Gucci Mane. My brain cells are shot.

Was anyone ever succesful at creating an app? I got to the building block part and backed away slowly. Too much Gucci Mane. My brain cells are shot.

Back
Top Bottom