Goosebumps Movie Vol. Childhood Horrors

R.L. Stine alerted his Twitter followers yesterday that, beginning next Monday shooting will finally begin on the Goosebumps feature film. The author of the popular spooky young adult novels is excited, of course, because Jack Black is literally playing Stine in this Columbia Pictures production.

Rob Letterman is directing and Dylan Minnette and Odeya Rush co-star. It's not entirely clear who will be receiving writing credit when the movie ultimately comes out on March 23, 2016 but we know that Jack the Giant Slayer's Darren Lemke, Ed Wood's Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander and The Last House on the Left's Carl Ellsworth all took a turn at the script.

The story? A young girl moves to a small town with her family, discovers Stine is her neighbor and then – through some supernatural incident – the figments of Stine's imagination are made flesh and blood.

In a strange sort of way…I'm excited for this film. "Strange" because I never got into the "Goosebumps" series. They came out when I was a bit too old for them. But, when I was a camp counselor, I knew kids that were big fans and I thought what Stine was crafting something that was a terrific "gateway horror" brand. Those covers were fascinating and macabre and the titles of the books were amusingly on-the-nose. "Goosebumps," to me at least, was always Tales from the Crypt-lite. And now, fans of the series are getting their feature film just as Tales from the Crypt or Tales from the Darkside fans did.

And that plot for the Goosebumps film feels appropriate for the brand. It's not leaning toward any particular, previously-told story. It's celebrating Stine and all of his creations. And maybe, just maybe, it will carry with it a deranged Amblin vibe. We could use a fun horror film – whether it's for adults or a younger crowd – like that.

I'm into the fact that Karaszewski and Alexander contributed to the script, but not the biggest fan of Letterman (Gulliver's Travels). He did do Monsters vs. Aliens, which was merely okay and had its heart in the right place. Perhaps he'll knock this one out of the park? Regardless, every time I see an update about this film, I'm definitely eager to know more.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/new...egins-shooting-soon-why-am-i-strangly-excited

THOUGHTS?

Last edited:
Goosebumps every book report. Teachers used to get frustrated with me
laugh.gif

Are You Afraid of The Dark was much scarier. Goose bumps was funny. That'd all I use to check out from the school library as a kid. And those Action sports books.lol

I've read a bunch. Still have them. I've read Say Cheese and Die, 2 of the Night of the Living Dummy books and a couple of choose your own ones.

Pass, who actually read them? They were just for the cover art

Honestly I checked out 100s of them in elementary school and never read a single page.smh

Hell Im 24 and have only read 1 chapter book in my life and it was only like 50 pages if that.lolsmh.

I didn't read them but I watched the show. Wasn't as scary as Are you afraid of the dark, but it had some interesting eps

+1 on only getting the books for the hologram cover

Half of the kids today not even gonna know what goosebumps is. They're still babies with poo poo in their pampers

Doubt this movie will even be scary

Half of the kids today not even gonna know what goosebumps is. They're still babies with poo poo in their pampers

Doubt this movie will even be scary
word. i doubt half of NT will even know what goosebumps is

A rated pg horror movie will tank in the box office. I hope its a red box and Netflix special under the kids category.

I'll probably watch for the nostalgia factor. Every now and then I find myself watching "Are You Afraid of the Dark."

I grew up reading Goosebumps in the early 90's. If you read closely, all the "good looking / cool / bullies" were blonde. All the "nerdy / loser / protagonists" had dark hair. :smh:

this book legit had me scared and afraid to sleep when I was in 3rd grade
View media item 907416

Back
Top Bottom