GOP State Senator arrested with DUI admits he's gay.

Please don't tell me he's married with kids.

If he's not,then good for him

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

He defendedhis voting record, saying he cast votes that his constituents wanted.Ashburn represents the 18th Senate District, which covers a huge swathof the central and southern part of the state.

"I felt my duty,and I still feel this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburnsaid, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affectedor will affect how I do my job."
Good for him.
I actually found this piece of the story to be the most offensive. 
While it's clear that politicians pander to their constituents to stay in power (in this case the good people of Bakersfield, California), what makes this part of the story so salient to the gay rights debate is the fact that this elected official (poorly) concealed his sexual identity while at the same time advocating against equal protection for members of his same community. 

Senator Ashburn committed an immense disservice to the LGBTQ community in Bakersfield and across the state. Politicians should be held responsible in providing equal protection under the law to all citizens, regardless of their identity. 

How big is the gay community there? How many of them actually participate in elections? His job is to cater to his district. 

Originally Posted by hella handsome

wait.

the +@** does him being gay have anything to do with his DUI?

what kinda random +*!@?
Connect the dots fam...

Dude went to a gay bar, which he seems like he frequent, got drunk, and caught the DUI...

Rumors probably popped up, and now he's confirmed he's gay.

Granted it's not exactly "headline news" for the rest of America, but I'm sure the people of Bakersfield care enough about it.

better than blaming the Jews - or not

laugh.gif

I call @!#%%#%# on this Constituents line... If I had the resources(a staff of people) to go through his voting record and I GUARANTEE he has voted one way on an issue his constituents disagree with... It's @!#%%#%#.. Trying to cover up heinous actions that contradict his own person lifestyle.

I see where you are coming from with that. But I'm just saying in it'spurest form, politicians are supposed to represent the people, notthemselves.
I agree.... finally a real politician that actually did his job.

If he ran as a Gay politician than yes it would be hypocritical in regards to his voting record, however he didn't.  He ran based on a Republican basis and represented his party and constituents.  I applaud him!
Trying to cover up heinous actions that contradict his own person lifestyle.
So if I was a Senator and I smoke weed and like smashing young females do I become an advocate for Marijuana legalization and fight to soften sexual predator laws because it fits my lifestyle or do I represent the people that voted me in office based of the agenda I outlined in my campaign?

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

Originally Posted by hella handsome

wait.

the +@** does him being gay have anything to do with his DUI?

what kinda random +*!@?
Connect the dots fam...

Dude went to a gay bar, which he seems like he frequent, got drunk, and caught the DUI...

Rumors probably popped up, and now he's confirmed he's gay.

Granted it's not exactly "headline news" for the rest of America, but I'm sure the people of Bakersfield care enough about it.
true that. thanks for opening my eyes.

How big is the gay community there? How many of them actually participate in elections? His job is to cater to his district. 

if people just catered to their district then there would still be segregation. His job is not JUST to cater to his district. people in top government positions are supposed to understand an issue differently than the common public because that's their job. their craft,

most average americans have 9-5 jobs so they obviously can't keep up with complex governmental issues every day. either way since when do the american people "know what's good for them"? the last guy we had in a whitehouse had that "common folk american vibe" how the hell did that turn out?

the forefathers were known elites. i don't understand where this notion of the common american being central to government came from. it's never been that way.

alcohol isn't that big of a deal here... I could care less that he's gay too. As long as he's real with it and doesn't drive drunk again whatever...

Back
Top Bottom