GOP State Senator arrested with DUI admits he's gay.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=58665
State Sen. Roy Ashburn, the Bakersfield Republican who was arrested in Sacramento last week on suspicion of drunk driving, came out as gay in a radio interview this morning.
"I am gay. And so, those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long," Ashburn told radio host Inga Barks on her show on the KERN station in Bakersfield.

The announcement follows days of intense scrutiny of Ashburn's personal life after he was arrested just after 2 a.m. on March 3. A Sacramento television station reported that Ashburn was at a popular gay dance club that night and several people have said they have seen the senator at gay bars in the city.

His sexual orientation is at issue because Ashburn has one of the staunchest records of voting against bills that would expand rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Californians.

Ashburn did not specifically say that he was at a gay club the night of his arrest, but said, "through my own actions I made my personal life public."

He defended his voting record, saying he cast votes that his constituents wanted. Ashburn represents the 18th Senate District, which covers a huge swath of the central and southern part of the state.

"I felt my duty, and I still feel this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburn said, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affected or will affect how I do my job."

The senator is expected to be back at the Capitol today when the Senate meets for a 2 p.m. floor session.

"I pray to God that I can find peace and I want to go back to work in the Senate and work hard for the people who sent me to the Legislature," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=58665#ixzz0hdutB4Zl

Originally Posted by kash55

FAMILY VALUES!

laugh.gif

I love when stuff like this happens.  It's great seeing conservatives scramble to legitimize this when they know if it was the other party, they'd be having a field day with it. 

I can only applaud him for having the courage to admit his identity...It must have been hell living in shame like that.

He defendedhis voting record, saying he cast votes that his constituents wanted.Ashburn represents the 18th Senate District, which covers a huge swathof the central and southern part of the state.

"I felt my duty,and I still feel this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburnsaid, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affectedor will affect how I do my job."
Good for him.

It's a shame people have to live like this...

Easiest thing to do is be yourself. Especially in politics.. If you don't you are 100% likely to be found out. If you do you may get the type of credit no one ever receives because 100% honesty is rarely seen in politics.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

He defendedhis voting record, saying he cast votes that his constituents wanted.Ashburn represents the 18th Senate District, which covers a huge swathof the central and southern part of the state.

"I felt my duty,and I still feel this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburnsaid, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affectedor will affect how I do my job."
Good for him.

Explicate please....(o_O)?

He's saying its good because he didn't let his personal preferences influences his votes as he's suppose to represent his district's views and not his own.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Easiest thing to do is be yourself. Especially in politics.. If you don't you are 100% likely to be found out. If you do you may get the type of credit no one ever receives because 100% honesty is rarely seen in politics.
grin.gif

Good for him.

I actually found this piece of the story to be the most offensive. 
While it's clear that politicians pander to their constituents to stay in power (in this case the good people of Bakersfield, California), what makes this part of the story so salient to the gay rights debate is the fact that this elected official (poorly) concealed his sexual identity while at the same time advocating against equal protection for members of his same community. 

Senator Ashburn committed an immense disservice to the LGBTQ community in Bakersfield and across the state. Politicians should be held responsible in providing equal protection under the law to all citizens, regardless of their identity. 

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

Good for him.
While it's clear that politicians pander to their constituents to stay in power (in this case the good people of Bakersfield, California), what makes this part of the story so salient to the gay rights debate is the fact that this elected official (poorly) concealed his sexual identity while at the same time advocating against equal protection for members of his same community. 

Senator Ashburn committed an immense disservice to the $*+$! community in Bakersfield and across the state. Politicians should be held responsible in providing equal protection under the law to all citizens, regardless of their identity. 

I see where you are coming from with that. But I'm just saying in it's purest form, politicians are supposed to represent the people, not themselves.

Talk about mental gymnastics... I wonder what this guy's thought process is voting down gay rights legislation during the day while painting the town fluorescent pink at night.

why are religious conservatives always closet homosexuals?

self hate sucks

Originally Posted by DubA169

self hate sucks

Always? 
eyes.gif

But seriously, incidents like this find it hard me to take the GOP seriously. It just makes it difficult to take their hard line stances on social issues when some of their own violate GOP positions.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Originally Posted by Essential1

grin.gif

And the cold part about it is he voted against a lot of gay rights.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by DubA169

self hate sucks

Always? 
eyes.gif

But seriously, incidents like this find it hard me to take the GOP seriously. It just makes it difficult to take their hard line stances on social issues when some of their own violate GOP positions.
obviously i'm exaggerating. you know exactly what i meant. religious conservatives are more prone to having this type of scandal. it's not even questionable.

everybody is so politically correct these days.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=58665
State Sen. Roy Ashburn, the Bakersfield Republican who was arrested in Sacramento last week on suspicion of drunk driving, came out as gay in a radio interview this morning.
"I am gay. And so, those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long," Ashburn told radio host Inga Barks on her show on the KERN station in Bakersfield.

The announcement follows days of intense scrutiny of Ashburn's personal life after he was arrested just after 2 a.m. on March 3. A Sacramento television station reported that Ashburn was at a popular gay dance club that night and several people have said they have seen the senator at gay bars in the city.

His sexual orientation is at issue because Ashburn has one of the staunchest records of voting against bills that would expand rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Californians.

Ashburn did not specifically say that he was at a gay club the night of his arrest, but said, "through my own actions I made my personal life public."

He defended his voting record, saying he cast votes that his constituents wanted. Ashburn represents the 18th Senate District, which covers a huge swath of the central and southern part of the state.

"I felt my duty, and I still feel this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburn said, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affected or will affect how I do my job."

The senator is expected to be back at the Capitol today when the Senate meets for a 2 p.m. floor session.

"I pray to God that I can find peace and I want to go back to work in the Senate and work hard for the people who sent me to the Legislature," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=58665#ixzz0hdutB4Zl
2qva71t.jpg
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Where's DC and his manliness agenda? I was expecting him to be like the first replier.
nerd.gif

Good for him.

Senator Ashburn committed an immense disservice to the LGBTQ community in Bakersfield and across the state. Politicians should be held responsible in providing equal protection under the law to all citizens, regardless of their identity. 

His job is to represent his constituents, not himself. He did exactly what he was elected to do. Of course he ran on a lie and didn't actually tell them he was a homosexual himself.

I agree with your last statement though.

Although it's always good to see a Conservative GOP member fall from grace I'm sure this senator dealt with alot of fustration knowing that his voting record didn't help advance the gay and lesbian community, which I'm sure weighed heavy on him.

His job is to represent his constituents, not himself. He did exactly what he was elected to do.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom