Got a college degree and a job, but still feel cheated?

more information/knowlege of da good life + less money =
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by DunkNForce

as long as i make 100K or more a year i will consider life a success
laugh.gif
what if your life is miserable though...but you're making 100k, still a successful life?
Miserable + 100K >>>>>>>>>>>miserable + 50k.

Money doesn't equal happiness but it can contribute to the attainment of it. On the other hand, a lack of money severely limits your potential for happiness. Believe that.
Truest words in here.

I know so many grads without jobs, or working waiter jobs after blowing six-figures at a big time school. Personally, my six-figure degree is #%!#@^ worthless so I'm trying to get an internship and get my foot in the door. Life is no joke when you're an adult.

for those of you who say youll be satisfied to make 100k a year.

well let me break that down for you. 100k a year would be about $5500 a month in your pocket after taxes and all that. after a $2000 rent (cuz when your making 100k you cant be living in a studio in the hood anymore). that leaves about $3500 for thecar note (cuz you cant be driving a 95 civic to and from your 100k a year job), insurance, food, fun, bills etc. it doesnt leave much extra, if you even get to save some extra.. really though. you live normal average off 100k a year nowadays. not baller.

with that said i dont think ill be truely content till im making like 30k a month. thats like a 700k a year salary. lol.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

laugh.gif
what if your life is miserable though...but you're making 100k, still a successful life?
Miserable + 100K >>>>>>>>>>>miserable + 50k.

Money doesn't equal happiness but it can contribute to the attainment of it. On the other hand, a lack of money severely limits your potential for happiness. Believe that.
laugh.gif

Nah, I can't get down with that at all. I see your reasoning, but I don't agree with it. 

Miserable isn't a dollar amount, it's a state of mind. No dollar amount fixes that, and the excess money is only delaying the inevitability of a poor quality of life. 

Originally Posted by kEnn E

well let me break that down for you. 100k a year would be about $5500 a month in your pocket after taxes and all that. after a $2000 rent (cuz when your making 100k you cant be living in a studio in the hood anymore). that leaves about $3500 for thecar note (cuz you cant be driving a 95 civic to and from your 100k a year job), insurance, food, fun, bills etc. it doesnt leave much extra, if you even get to save some extra.. really though. you live normal average off 100k a year nowadays. not baller.

with that said i dont think ill be truely content till im making like 30k a month. thats like a 700k a year salary. lol.
Your way of life is the reason so many Americans who think like you are in debt. 100 k is more than both my parents make and we are all living fine. You can find a NICE apartment for 1500 or less. Why spend 3500 on a car note? That is beyond ignorant. Maybe 200 dollars a month or if you know how to save or how to flip your money the legit way, you can buy a car straight cash up front. Insurance is fine as well. Food and other expenses should not go beyond your means and you can still be happy. If you know how to manager 100k, you will have plenty of spending money. Brother-in-law makes 125k, guy has money saved like it is nothing, him and my sister manage to take care of their children fine, and the guy still can afford 300 dress shoes. It's all about how you save and use your money. I would be very blessed to make 100k a year. 700k is if you know how to reach that next level through connections and experience. In many business fields, it is easy to reach that level within 15 years or less based on who you know.

YOU, MY MAN, have won the dumbest post of the year award. and its just %@@$#$% april!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by solelistikn1ke1ne

YOU, MY MAN, have won the dumbest post of the year award. and its just %@@$#$% april!
eek.gif
Not only did he made himself look stupid he probably makes some of the worst financial decision
laugh.gif
. 100k isn't good enough ? Niketalk is filled with idiots who want materials good but never put in works

This is whats wrong with America.....

Give me 100K and ill make it stretch for 5 years. Sometimes you really don't need all those fancy things to feel "good" and just because your getting paid more does not mean you have to re adjust your expenses in order to continue living pay check to pay check.

better to have a super sturdy safety net than "ball out" with the extra income. Thats just me though, being relaxed and enjoying those little things in life is what I enjoy. Ill be happy with a new Honda Accord or something once I start getting some decent amount of money. Forget about the BMW.... cause more than half of those are leased anyway.

Originally Posted by Sid Lugar

Your way of life is the reason so many Americans who think like you are in debt. 100 k is more than both my parents make and we are all living fine. You can find a NICE apartment for 1500 or less. Why spend 3500 on a car note? That is beyond ignorant. Maybe 200 dollars a month or if you know how to save or how to flip your money the legit way, you can buy a car straight cash up front. Insurance is fine as well. Food and other expenses should not go beyond your means and you can still be happy. If you know how to manager 100k, you will have plenty of spending money. Brother-in-law makes 125k, guy has money saved like it is nothing, him and my sister manage to take care of their children fine, and the guy still can afford 300 dress shoes. It's all about how you save and use your money. I would be very blessed to make 100k a year. 700k is if you know how to reach that next level through connections and experience. In many business fields, it is easy to reach that level within 15 years or less based on who you know.
I def feel what this man is saying. Honestly, until I feel that I should be makin more, I'll take $40-50k/yr. It's all about money management and living within ur means

well let me break that down for you. 100k a year would be about $5500 a month in your pocket after taxes and all that. after a $2000 rent (cuz when your making 100k you cant be living in a studio in the hood anymore
why not?

living cheap + making ends = $$$$$$$

im with Kicktionair what ever  happened to living within your means? I tripled my salary this year and I still live

on what i spent when I had my previous job, only sometimes do i realize that i have extra cash on hand to do fun things with

and even then i am counting pennies

I see what your saying, and that's the problem with people, I know people that make around 100k or close to it and they blow off their money on dumb things, have regular cars, and still live paycheck to paycheck just like the person that's making 30k. People just don't spend there money wisely and buy what they want instead of what they need.

just keep grinding....

i finished Dec 2008 with a bachelors from UCLA (decent school i guess)....although my degree was in sociology. the only job i could find was at the job that got me thru school SEARS....but making less money from when i had the job in high school. I was depressed and felt like my education meant nothing. I found out that I was wrong, i got a decent paying job after turning in a +%%% load of resumes and got into law school. You mentioned that you didnt get into grad school. if you want to go b/c you want to and think it may help your career find a job that will pay the bills and work 10x harder on your test you need to take to get into your grad school.

Some of the best advice i ever got when i was working at sears w/ a bachelors degree was 'never be ashamed of an honests days work'...... just make sure you are working toward something better than that security job.

Give me 100K here. After my girl gets out of school, that'll be near 200 K per year.
laugh.gif
I'll take that for life.

But 100K as a single person, you should have NO complaints. Heck I wouldn't even complain if we made 50-100K together. Its still a nice hill of money. Its cool to reach for more but don't look at 100K as peanuts. Estimating right now, I'd say with a simple life, I'd have at least 15K to put in savings for the year.

Things I'd buy with 100K...

Home on 15-30 year plan. But I would aim to have saved the cost of the home within 5-10 years.
Find a way to grow my money.
Put money back for a ring.
Charger RT/SRT. I wouldn't pay out in my personal cash. I'd pay on it over 3-5 years. Maybe a Challenger too.
pimp.gif

Find a way to grow my money.

OK I'm set.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

College is a scam if you didn't know OP.

Who you know > what you know
Yall are foolish if you're in this thing NOT setting up connects and associates for the future though.. 

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

College is a scam if you didn't know OP.

Who you know > what you know

but isn't college the time and place to form solid connections with people in your industry?

laugh.gif

Money doesn't equal success. You could be making 6 figures and still be miserable. Sure making money is good, it allows you to live life more comfortably but I rather have health and happiness. That is all the wealth I need.

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

This is whats wrong with America.....

Give me 100K and ill make it stretch for 5 years. Sometimes you really don't need all those fancy things to feel "good" and just because your getting paid more does not mean you have to re adjust your expenses in order to continue living pay check to pay check.

better to have a super sturdy safety net than "ball out" with the extra income. Thats just me though, being relaxed and enjoying those little things in life is what I enjoy. Ill be happy with a new Honda Accord or something once I start getting some decent amount of money. Forget about the BMW.... cause more than half of those are leased anyway.
Somebody let these young kids know
laugh.gif

Agree with everything said above (except the Bimmer part... that's the one thing I'd splurge on)

after a $2000 rent (cuz when your making 100k you cant be living in a studio in the hood anymore). that leaves about $3500 for thecar note (cuz you cant be driving a 95 civic to and from your 100k a year job)
Says who? Tons of people on Wall St. take the train/bus to work.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

youre not alone ... college wasnt worth a damn so far ...

I feel you. It's a stupid investment. My parents forced me into college. I could have been doing real estate or investments from the get go

Originally Posted by PassMeTheSoySauce

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

youre not alone ... college wasnt worth a damn so far ...

I feel you. It's a stupid investment. My parents forced me into college. I could have been doing real estate or investments from the get go
With what capital?

Go to college, get the 60k job out of undergrad and use that money for your investment schemes.

Back
Top Bottom