Got a college degree and a job, but still feel cheated?

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by bkzkurse

Any1 wanna throw me some advice?
Graduated in 2009 with a Pysch degree 
frown.gif
 from an accredited school - minored in finance - I have a crappy GPA (3.31) - and my resume has big names on it with basic office assistant bullshif roles on it

Did this because I want to become a corp. lawyer - and now I'm unemployed temping from job to job while studying for GMATS (to get MBA) and LSATS (to get JD) - which seem to get harder and harder everyday

Im depressed - sad - so regretful because I have no job - Can any1 make me feel any better about myself because I'm at an all time low.

Im terrified I will never be employed again and that my hard work (and yes it was hard) - will never pay off. Did I screw myself over?

Relax man. You don't have a crappy GPA... So do you want a full time job now or want to focus on grad school? If the former, have you looked into careers in Human Resources? High School teaching? Teach for America? You'll be fine... no need to stress. 
I also graduated in 09 with Sociology major and Business Minor and now i'm doing Human Resources. You should think of exploring that field, especially since you do have some office assistant experience. And maybe look into doing Benefits within the HR field, especially since you minored in Finance. and btw what did you major in?

still don't understand why people would ever major in sociology or psychology if they don't plan to go to grad school

Originally Posted by the north west

still don't understand why people would ever major in sociology or psychology if they don't plan to go to grad school

What's even worse are the people who take out 30k+ in student loans to major in these subjects, then they can't find a job to pay them off.  An MBA/JD doesn't improve your job prospects either unless it's from a Top 20 program.

http://www.sacbee.com/201...l#storylink=omni_popular
http://cityroom.blogs.nyt...ing-lawyers-seek-solace/

Honestly... It sounds like a bunch of excuses in this thread. If you have a lot of drive, decent grades, and aren't afraid of rejection, you should be able to land a pretty good job by the time you graduate.

I go to an Ivy League school, and even here I see thousands of kids coasting by like their futures are already set. For the kids whipping daddy's bimmer around campus with 24 hour access to the family yacht this is true, but they are the exception and not the rule. Most students DO NOT utilize their college's career center adequately, nor do they do even remotely well at networking. I don't want to sit up here and give my personal diatribe, but people don't plan ahead. And even if they have some glimmer of an idea about what they want to do, they don't have backup plans, and backup backup plans, and backups for those backups. I have mapped out a dozen different paths, all of which have the same goal in mind. Will all of them work? No, but a few will. Those are the ones you take and run with.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent built upon monuments of nothingness... those who excel at them, seldom excel at anything else.

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

Honestly... It sounds like a bunch of excuses in this thread. If you have a lot of drive, decent grades, and aren't afraid of rejection, you should be able to land a pretty good job by the time you graduate.

I go to an Ivy League school, and even here I see thousands of kids coasting by like their futures are already set. For the kids whipping daddy's bimmer around campus with 24 hour access to the family yacht this is true, but they are the exception and not the rule. Most students DO NOT utilize their college's career center adequately, nor do they do even remotely well at networking. I don't want to sit up here and give my personal diatribe, but people don't plan ahead. And even if they have some glimmer of an idea about what they want to do, they don't have backup plans, and backup backup plans, and backups for those backups.
I have mapped out a dozen different paths, all of which have the same goal in mind. Will all of them work? No, but a few will. Those are the ones you take and run with.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent built upon monuments of nothingness... those who excel at them, seldom excel at anything else.

THIS...

If there is one thing you should take from this thread, it's the underlined, bolded, red statement.

Real talk, I cant tell you how much flak I have taken over the years from my friends and family simply because I chose to explore multiple paths, instead of the one track/one path many people, in college and out of college, seem to follow.

I currently have six different things I could potentially do when I graduate. This has little to do with "not knowing what to do with my life", which is what most people assume the minute I tell them about my plans, and more to do with maximizing my abilities (yes, I am that dynamic of an individual...
grin.gif
) and fulfilling my potential.

Unlike impallaballa, however, I don't have one goal in mind. Rather, I have multiple goals and I plan on pursuing each one. Having options = confidence when you leave college.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

I go to an Ivy League school, and even here I see thousands of kids coasting by like their futures are already set. For the kids whipping daddy's bimmer around campus with 24 hour access to the family yacht this is true, but they are the exception and not the rule. Most students DO NOT utilize their college's career center adequately, nor do they do even remotely well at networking. I don't want to sit up here and give my personal diatribe, but people don't plan ahead. And even if they have some glimmer of an idea about what they want to do, they don't have backup plans, and backup backup plans, and backups for those backups.
I have mapped out a dozen different paths, all of which have the same goal in mind. Will all of them work? No, but a few will. Those are the ones you take and run with.

THIS...

If there is one thing you should take from this thread, it's the underlined, bolded, red statement.

Real talk, I cant tell you how much flak I have taken over the years from my friends and family simply because I chose to explore multiple paths, instead of the one track/one path many people, in college and out of college, seem to follow.

I currently have six different things I could potentially do when I graduate. This has little to do with "not knowing what to do with my life", which is what most people assume the minute I tell them about my plans, and more to do with maximizing my abilities (yes, I am that dynamic of an individual...
grin.gif
) and fulfilling my potential.

Unlike impallaballa, however, I don't have one goal in mind. Rather, I have multiple goals and I plan on pursuing each one. Having options = confidence when you leave college.

I find this to be true. Especially in this thread.
People limiting their options and panicking at the same time.

You are not beholden to your city. You are not beholden to your state. You are not beholden to your country of birth or current residence.
People have been moving to find opportunity since the dawn of man. Take it where you can get it.

I'm a junoir in college, majoring in Business Managment... What kind of jobs should I be applying for when I get out????

Alright, guess I should chime in.

From a decent university, grades not so stellar, one of the 'unfortunate' Psych majors as well.

However... I do have a crapload of experience in Marketing (been doing it since high school). Running my own events as well as experience in property management and hospitality. On top of that, done a lot of non-profit work over the years (even from middle school through college). Utilize our university's career center, and it sucks (literally). Alumni's have to pay a premium to use their search engines and referrals to jobs of the university. Even the advice is worst than what I receive at my third community college. Currently I'm also in the same boat as some of you not even working enough to pay for everything (bare necessities), so everyone who doesn't have a "high paying job" but still makes at least 35-100K, shouldn't really be complaining AT ALL. Can't really complain since I made it this far independently and looking to go further (even with the minimum support of my family).

Currently, I'm grinding on my full time job. While establishing a career either in the business field (marketing, financial, or management) or hospitality field (restaurant or hotel). Got an interview next week for a medical company and trying to establish a few more by next week (if this doesn't pan out). With that said, it's a tough world but we all have to strive through it. Part of it is really "who you know" REGARDLESS OF YOUR MAJOR and what you make of your college experience (especially in ACADEMICS; which I can only reflect not doing any better or picking a better major to forsee this recession). The other aspect, is your will to make things happen otherwise you're left to rot. Making this a real test of adulthood for all of us.

Good luck, to everyone trying to make their live successful in all aspects (emotionally, physically, and financially).

P.S. We need to do that professional networking thing, maybe some people can make things happen. I'm here in Southern California.

Back
Top Bottom