Got a college degree and a job, but still feel cheated?

balloonoboy

Banned
Anyone with me? I know times are tough, but honestly I'm tired of hearing about how the times are. What that got to do with me? I've slaved for four years, so I could have it easier in the world, but still I have a %@%+%+ job making %@%+%+ pay (Security Officer; $13.25). I didn't get into grad. school, now I'm wondering this can't be life. There's gotta be more.

I'm not sure if this is more of a lack of happiness post, stuck with a perpetual dark cloud over one's head, or an I should be making way more money post, but it's somewhere along the spectrum. Ehh.

But, I still have the facility of my limbs, my health, shelter, food, water...yet, something's missing.

Who's with me?

props for you going to school, i cant do it and i feel its one of the most overrated things ...... i know plenty of people who went to school for years and still arent doin what they went to school yet...... dudes have 6 figure educations and nothing to show....

Thats so true im making more now then alot of people who have degrees unless they went into investment banking or something like that i probally make more then them im at 52k a year now.

I think you're unhappy because of the pay and the fact that you are no longer an undergraduate. Time seems to pass by quickly these days and you want to make moves now but don't know where to begin. You want a steady job with a high paying salary so you may live comfortably. That's how I feel. everyday is repetitive and responsibilities seem to stack up more each day.

You need to find things that makes you happy. most of the time, it's the outlook you have on life that determines your happiness.

Basically, %+** happens. I'm in the same boat. I graduated 3 years ago, and I still haven't found what I consider to be a "real job" that pays commensurate to my abilities.

My brother on the other hand, he graduated 5 years ago, turns 28 next year, and is already clearing 100k.

Some degrees are worth while, and others are worthless (except for inflating your self worth).

Originally Posted by PassMeTheSoySauce

I think you're unhappy because of the pay and the fact that you are no longer an undergraduate. Time seems to pass by quickly these days and you want to make moves now but don't know where to begin. You want a steady job with a high paying salary so you may live comfortably. That's how I feel. everyday is repetitive and responsibilities seem to stack up more each day.

You need to find things that makes you happy. most of the time, it's the outlook you have on life that determines your happiness.
That's some good advice. Now I just need to find some things that make me happy
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I feel all you guys. I have a lot of friends who have jobs that wasnt what their major was at all. It really is about who you know.

What are you talking about?

One of my best friends graduated with a degree in English. He now works for a PE firm with a base in the mid 50's plus bonus. Not the greatest by the standards of high finance but most recent college grads would take it.
See what a college degree can get you?

We always bust his balls. 
laugh.gif
On the real, his father's client is a partner at the firm.
It's about who you know. Not always what you know.

Either way college is a sham for most undergrads.

Real wages in teh US haven't increased since the 70's. It isn't going to get any better.
I would advice not to limit your options. It's a big world out there.

Originally Posted by DunkNForce

as long as i make 100K or more a year i will consider life a success
laugh.gif
what if your life is miserable though...but you're making 100k, still a successful life?

Originally Posted by jlab0ch0

It really is about who you know.

Truth.
Although having a degree and related work experience helps a lot and will get you some interviews, its who you know that will help the most. This is the exactly how i got my current job. Along with my college degree and related internship experiences,  the CFO of my current company is very good friends with my former boss.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

laugh.gif
what if your life is miserable though...but you're making 100k, still a successful life?
Miserable + 100K >>>>>>>>>>>miserable + 50k.

Money doesn't equal happiness but it can contribute to the attainment of it. On the other hand, a lack of money severely limits your potential for happiness. Believe that.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

What are you talking about?

One of my best friends graduated with a degree in English. He now works for a PE firm with a base in the mid 50's plus bonus. Not the greatest by the standards of high finance but most recent college grads would take it.
See what a college degree can get you?

It's about who you know. Not always what you know.

Cosign. This one girl I talk to majored in Statistics from San Francisco State (low tier university) and is now working for Ernst & Young, Big 4 accounting firm, in their HR department making good money and building a solid network.  She got the job through an internship during her sophomore year.  Most business and econ majors would kill for her job.

I feel sorry for people who slave away 4-5 years for a major that's not in demand and to be 30k+ in debt without a job.  In these tough times, the interest rates are gonna kill you.

Also OP, count your blessings and be thankful you have a job that pays over minimum wage.  There are dudes who can't even find work after a year.

laugh.gif

Money doesn't equal happiness but it can contribute to the attainment of it. On the other hand, a lack of money severely limits your potential for happiness. Believe that.
That depends on what your definition of happiness is.  Is happiness defined by the acquisition of material goods?  A nicer car, a nicer house?  Is that what truly makes you happy?
When is enough, enough?

All I need to be happy is enough money to live comfortably, a car that gets me reliably from A to B, the occasional vacation, enough golf, and regular dome/sex.  I don't need a BMW or a 5 bedroom to be happy, a Corolla and a 2 bedroom would suit me just fine.

Real wages in teh US haven't increased since the 70's. It isn't going to get any better.
I would advice not to limit your options. It's a big world out there.

This.  We grow up expecting to do better than our parents.  But wages have declined so we have to work harder just to live the same lifestyle as our parents.

Originally Posted by eaalto

laugh.gif

That depends on what your definition of happiness is.  Is happiness defined by the acquisition of material goods?  A nicer car, a nicer house?  Is that what truly makes you happy?
When is enough, enough?

All I need to be happy is enough money to live comfortably, a car that gets me reliably from A to B, the occasional vacation, enough golf, and regular dome/sex.  I don't need a BMW or a 5 bedroom to be happy, a Corolla and a 2 bedroom would suit me just fine.
Don't tell yourself stories.

I'm not a materialistic person at all and it's not only about the money in and of itself.
Money is a means to an end. Money provides an individual with options.

Less money. Fewer options. More restrictions.

Of course there are individuals out there (and I know a few very personally) who make a very good living but are still unhappy. This is because money cannot cure psychological ailments.

For those who are balanced psychologically, more money is always better.
laugh.gif

Do something, start a business if you want to pursue money. If it's something else find out what it is and do what's necessary.

Graduated last year, and I'm still jobless, its a sad sad situation, but my situation is a lil different since I'm on a student visa, and dealing with immigration. I can understand why employers would be hesitant to hire me when there are a lot of qualified citizens with no jobs. I just need to figure out what my next move is going to be
frown.gif

laugh.gif
I was a security officer just last summer. How funny?

Anyway, shutup man. No disrespect there. I'm just trying to tell you that a degree doesn't make the man, nor does it make the career. You get what you put in, and that saying isn't all geared towards reading books. You just have to keep striving for your dream, whatever that might be.

Your choice man. Go advertise yourself. You either got it or you don't. Straight up.

I did for a moment but you just gotta keep ya head up. I'm still on the pursuit of that oh so elusive... you know

Back
Top Bottom