Got an interview at a radio station. Need some assistance.

So I applied for a job at a radio station in a spur of the moment, "what do I got to lose", sort of way.  The job is as an associate producer of a college sports show.  I have a sports management degree and I slightly (maybe largely) exaggerated my experience within radio.  I worked at my college radio station for a semester and that was mainly goofing around.

So through some miracle, I got a call for an interview.  I have no idea what to expect, what to say or even if I know how to do what they might want me to do.  It's a legit radio station so I don't think they are on the "learn on the job" tip.  They got interns for that.

Anybody that has worked radio, been an associate producer, or both, please help.  I worked at my college radio station almost 10 years ago so my memory of what goes on is completely shot.

Wear a suit, act like a professional/team player, and be yourself. You'll be fine.

like he said^ maybe you'll even get the job
roll.gif

I work in radio as a producer and board operator in New York.

If you are clueless to the business or how to run a board you're in over your head. That's not to say they won't teach you, but you need to know things.

You hopefully know some basic editing skills, using programs like Audacity, Adobe Audition or the more advanced Pro Tools.

Being that is a sports show, and your job is "Associate Producer" you're basically going to be helping out the producer whatever they need. I doubt they'd ask you who you know in the business, generally producers are in charge of topics for shows, guests, etc.

As far as attire, going to the interview as professional as possible as always, if you get the job, you'll see that radio jobs DON'T CARE what you wear. No one see's you. People around my job come to work in shorts, sweat pants, raggidy t shirts, it doesn't matter.

But this is one of the downfalls of embellishing your resume, if you end up over your head with the questions they ask you're going to look foolish.

Any more questions let me know.

Back
Top Bottom