got into an accident vol. insurance

happened in new york. basically i was trying to switch lanes, signal and everything. i make the move seeing i have enough room. there's semi-traffic so we're going about 20mph. while i make the lane change, she speeds up to make the light, which leads to my front right and her side doors colliding. you can pretty much tell by the damage that she was speeding because she pretty much dragged the whole side of her car along my front right; which is why i barely have any damage and she has most of it. so when i get out, she legit said i didnt signal 
mean.gif

we did the police report.

my side was that i made a legit lane change, signaling with room, and she sped up to make the light. 

i'm assuming her side at minimal is that i didnt signal.

what am i looking at insurance wise? 50/50, 60/40, 70/30? it's my first accident.

If you get a phone call from her insurance do NOT answer it.  It's a claims adjustor and they try to get a statement from you that they can twist, so you take some blame.  Not sure how your insurance will rule, but you should be alright...

If you get a phone call from her insurance do NOT answer it.  It's a claims adjustor and they try to get a statement from you that they can twist, so you take some blame.  Not sure how your insurance will rule, but you should be alright...
my boy said not to answer my insurance either, and let them handle it via police report. any truth to that?

If you're going to answer your phone and it happens to be the other party's claims adjustor. Let them know they can get all the details from the police report. But, if it were me I wouldn't even answer the call.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you at fault regardless if she was speeding or not? You entered her lane and made contact with her. I'm mean, it's not like she just appeared out if nowhere.

Just like if you rear end someone, you're at fault no matter what...

my boy told me a while a guy that if an accident were to  occur u are liable for the front half of the vehicle. basically the the two front doors to the front of the hood

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you at fault regardless if she was speeding or not? You entered her lane and made contact with her. I'm mean, it's not like she just appeared out if nowhere.

Just like if you rear end someone, you're at fault no matter what...

yea but he could of had enough room to make the lane. but like everyone in ny they leave a huge space infornt of them, once they see another car trying to get in there lane they speed up. and maybe this chick sped up and bumped him. who knows what happened only you op. good luck with the outcome

Last edited:
but like everyone in ny they leave a huge space infornt of them, once they see another car trying to get in there lane they speed up.

I ****** hate when people do this. They speed up to not let you pass and then once you get behind them they slow down.

At least in my state, the person who changes lanes is 90% of the time found to be at fault. In your case its hard to prove that she sped up to close the gap, while its easier to conceive that you didn't signal. I feel for you OP.

yea but he could of had enough room to make the lane. but like everyone in ny they leave a huge space infornt of them, once they see another car trying to get in there lane they speed up. and maybe this chick sped up and bumped him. who knows what happened only you op. good luck with the outcome

Doesn't matter.

Either way, he was entering her lane when contact was made. Doesn't matter if she was going 20 or 80...

You can't prove she did anything wrong, but their is no doubt that he changed lanes..

Doesn't matter.

Either way, he was entering her lane when contact was made. Doesn't matter if she was going 20 or 80...

You can't prove she did anything wrong, but their is no doubt that he changed lanes..
The damage from her vehicle is enough evidence. she was probably texing her man or checking or face book, giving her a delay in reaction time. causing her to break late. At least you didn't hit a pedestrian. Where was the accident at? OP DID YOU CHECK YOU'RE BLIND SPOT WHEN YOU STITCHED LANES

Last edited:

Doesn't matter.

This is the problem.
And if she is going to lie and say you didn't signal...and she is going with that story...her insurance will believe her and you will most likely be at fault. I feel for you OP...i got rear ended at a stop light and the dude lied and said some bs about me sliding into his lane. He was ultimately found at fault and had to cover all my expenses....but it took 2 months for that to be reached and i couldn't get my car fixed until then.

Good luck

My dude you are at fault ..

Signals means -

1. you are warning cars you are trying to enter that lane, exiting left right or making a left right turn.

2. you are asking permission to enter a lane

It does not mean you have the right to enter the lane when someone is occupying the same space.

Being that your front end hit her side doors - this mean you didn't take the time to look before you enter. You might of have enter when you thought it was clear but the impact indicates that she was already in the lane. If she would of have hit your rear quarter panel then you might of have had a 50/50 case but in this case you should be found totally liable.

This is the problem.
And if she is going to lie and say you didn't signal...and she is going with that story...her insurance will believe her and you will most likely be at fault. I feel for you OP...i got rear ended at a stop light and the dude lied and said some bs about me sliding into his lane. He was ultimately found at fault and had to cover all my expenses....but it took 2 months for that to be reached and i couldn't get my car fixed until then.

Good luck
but this is not a problem 

just because he signal doesn't mean she has to let him in. She can say she didn't see it she saw it or whatever, the bottom line is that she has the right away ...

In regards to not having your car fixed until 2 months, what kind of insurance you have? you could of have your car fixed immediately by using your insurance and it would of have been up to then to settle with the other insurance - this could of have taken months but at the end of the day if they were found liable your insurance would of have received money back and they would of have giving you, your deductible back. Hmmmm

This is the problem.

Good luck
but this is not a problem 

just because he signal doesn't mean she has to let him in. She can say she didn't see it she saw it or whatever, the bottom line is that she has the right away ...

In regards to not having your car fixed until 2 months, what kind of insurance you have? you could of have your car fixed immediately by using your insurance and it would of have been up to then to settle with the other insurance - this could of have taken months but at the end of the day if they were found liable your insurance would of have received money back and they would of have giving you, your deductible back. Hmmmm

I wasn't saying he wasn't going to be found liable. I just know it sucks when you don't think you did anything wrong common sense wise. Like the lady could have gunned it and hit him while he was getting over and common sense says she was being a b****. But it will be legally your fault...that feel....sucks.

I don't have liability on my car so i wasn't covered if i was found guilty. Don't even get me started on the giant scam that is car insurance. If i could i would drive without insurance. I have never been in an accident where i was found liable (only one in my whole life i was rear ended at a stop light). I have paid upwards of 9,000 in insurance so far in my life. It has done nothing for me but let me drive legally on a road. I pay for other bad drivers to get into accidents.

Na screw you guys. I leave a nice cushion so i can drive safey and dont have to ride my breaks the entire time but ******** cant just stay in their got damn lane. Like you rather me tailgating driving bumper to bumper?

Looks like you will be majority at fault for improper lane change. She had the right of way and also control of the lane. However she can be found partially at fault if speed an be proven. My advise would be to contact your insurance agent and have them defend you. Someone is always schemin in NY looking for a come up lol, Good luck OP!

Looks like you will be majority at fault for improper lane change. She had the right of way and also control of the lane.

/thread

I know a couple of people personally who are claims adjusters. 10/10 will say it was your fault, because she had control of the lane and you didn't safely enter the lane. You also need to provide pictures, because for the most part--you can tell what happened and who was at fault by the damage from the accident.

Now, if they can prove that she was going that fast, then maybe you're looking at 60/40. Obviously, you'll get more of the blame, because you didn't safely enter the lane. Anyone who is behind you in the corresponding lane of which you're attempting to enter is always in control of the lane until no one is to be seen or 200ft behind. I know this is all technical mumbo-jumbo, but these are real rules :lol:

Last edited:
my boy said not to answer my insurance either, and let them handle it via police report. any truth to that?
Yeah, pretty much don't talk to anyone unless you're hurt then go see a doctor.  You want to tell as little as possible, so they don't have a case against you.  It's your first accident though, so don't worry too much about it.  I got hit when someone turned into a street to do a u-turn, but didn't stop and hit me when he came out of the street.  A claims adjuster from his insurance called me, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to talk since it was my first accident and somehow I ended up getting 40% of the blame
mean.gif
.  My insurance bumped up a little bit, but it's gone down since.  Just beware some people are a piece of ****, so you have to be more cautious when driving...

let this be a lesson to you OP to stay in your lane

had a jerk cutmeoff before causing me to slam the brakes and the person behind me to rear end me cause they were tailgating me

your most likely not ganna win the insurance case tbh if shes ganna fight with you on it

Back
Top Bottom