Government Jobs?

I'm browsing USAJobs.com and there seems to be nothing for which I'm qualified.

Have you gotten into a gov't job? Doing?

I am in...I dint even apply at USAJOBS .com

I gave my resumes to this lady at my church, she gave it to human resources so they could have it on file. 6 months later I got a email from my old supervisorabout a interview.

And the rest is history, sometimes its all about who you know and connects. But if you are looking for a government job now, it takes time (2-4months) to getyour security clearance.

Another suggestion, call the contact people at the bottom of the job listings let them know you are interested and what can you do to apply or at least getyour resumes on file in case something opens up.

pimp.gif

pray that this passes

Big Change In Starting Pay

May 21, 2009 - 2:00am
Print
Email
Starting a federal career could soon become an even more attractive prospect for college graduates facing a very tough, and shrinking private sector jobmarket.

The government is considering a plan that, if adopted, would boost starting pay by almost $8,000 a year for people with a degree from a 4-year college.Currently most new college graduates come into the government at the Grade 5 level. In the Washington metro area, GS 5 starts at $33,269 per year.

But under the proposal being studied by federal HR directors, most college graduates entering government would come in at the GS 7 level which, in D.C., startsat $41,210.

Currently the GS 7 starting level is usually reserved for people whose grade point average and academic record qualify them as hires under the outstandingscholar program.

Bringing the college grads in at the higher grade would be the equivalent of a fast-track program for many. Imagine being on a one mile foot race and beingallowed to take off 200 yards from the original starting line.

The proposal from the Office of Personnel Management is out for a 30-day comment period. If it gets the green light from agencies, the new system could beimplemented by regulation. That means it would not require Congress to get into the act.

President Obama has said he wants "to make government cool again." His reference point is the Kennedy administration which drew thousands of theso-called best and brightest into federal service. Speaking on our "Your Turn with Mike Causey" radio show last week, OPM Director John M. Berry saidbuilding a better civil service is one of the legacy goals of this administration.

In the past, when both Democratic or Republican administrations wanted to reinvent, change, minimize or downsize the federal government they first had toconvince the media and the public that Uncle Sam tolerated too many losers in the ranks. But Berry, who served in the Executive branch after years as acongressional staffer said he believes the government is full of the best and brightest. He said it just wants to bring in even more of them, especiallybecause so many feds are at or near retirement age. To listen his interview, click here.

Originally Posted by brandonb2005

I am in...I dint even apply at USAJOBS .com

I gave my resumes to this lady at my church, she gave it to human resources so they could have it on file. 6 months later I got a email from my old supervisor about a interview.

And the rest is history, sometimes its all about who you know and connects. But if you are looking for a government job now, it takes time (2-4months) to get your security clearance.

Another suggestion, call the contact people at the bottom of the job listings let them know you are interested and what can you do to apply or at least get your resumes on file in case something opens up.
Is this after turning your application in or after a few rounds of the selection process (When youre already in a pool of a select few)? I passedthe questionaire for a job 2 months ago, then 1 month ago I received a email mentioning that i passed the questionaire and now my application is being reviewedby someone in HR and that someone from HR will call me if necessary.

There is always a waiting period to get in unless you have a security clearance. Its best to just know people. Back channels speed up the process tremendously.

i been applying for Federal Gov jobs and i finally got a call back from one. i got a interview at the AOC on wed. (architect of the capital)

nerd.gif

do they make you pee in a cup? i quit mary jane more than 3 weeks ago and am sure i can pass a test but damn im fiending
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ghost703

i been applying for Federal Gov jobs and i finally got a call back from one. i got a interview at the AOC on wed. (architect of the capital)

nerd.gif

do they make you pee in a cup? i quit mary jane more than 3 weeks ago and am sure i can pass a test but damn im fiending
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Nope half the federal govt is high.....for real though

Check http://cpol.army.mil

There are a $$@*$%$! of Supply Tech jobs open especially right now, usually you'll come in as a GS4 there which is solid money, not ballin really, but farfrom struggling.

usajobs.com is the truth. if you're in the miltary you're a shoe-in but the public can apply for non-privatem, non-sector jobs and nothing is betterthan working for the gov. their benefits are the best in the country

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Check http://cpol.army.mil

There are a $$@*$%$! of Supply Tech jobs open especially right now, usually you'll come in as a GS4 there which is solid money, not ballin really, but far from struggling.
What exactly is Supply Tech? Sorry if that sounds elementary.

I know if I get the opportunity I want to work a Govt. Job in Atlanta,

Supply tech you don't really do +%+*. BTW, if anyone lives in or around Fort Sill I know a guy who has like 9 Supply jobs coming open. He wants to hire adude bad, because they have nothing but females there right now and every time he gets a list he says it's all females.

Anyways, as a Supply Tech, you work in the Supply Room with the Supply Sergeant who is military and the Armorer, which is also a civilian and is the guy whomaintains the guns and ammo. It's pretty much as simple as it sounds. You guys are in charge of maintaining and ordering supplies for your unit.

When stuff like fans and walkie talkies break, they bring them to you and you fill out a paperwork on them and turn them in to get fixed somewhere, on FortSill it's the Military jail that fixes them. Then a few days later they call you and you go pick them up. The supply room has wall lockers with stuff in itlike pencils, pens, notebooks, soap, computer parts, things you guys use a lot. Drill Sgts will come in and be like, "I need some soap for the Orderlyroom bathroom," you tell them Ok and have them sign the sheet that they took it. If you have to order something, it usually comes to a Post centralordering facility and not right to your unit, so you go pick that stuff up when it comes in. On Thursdays, we do linen exchange if you have an AIT unit, theybring down all their bed linen and you have to have them stack it in sets of 25, then when the people come around with the linen truck they trade your dirtyones for clean ones.

It's easy. It's what most Army guys do after they retire, they just come back to the same unit so they can still be around all their friends, yet theydon't have to work too hard. You don't even have to lift things. They'll grab some "Joes" to do that for you

Supply tech you don't really do +%+*. BTW, if anyone lives in or around Fort Sill I know a guy who has like 9 Supply jobs coming open. He wants to hire a dude bad, because they have nothing but females there right now and every time he gets a list he says it's all females.

Anyways, as a Supply Tech, you work in the Supply Room with the Supply Sergeant who is military and the Armorer, which is also a civilian and is the guy who maintains the guns and ammo. It's pretty much as simple as it sounds. You guys are in charge of maintaining and ordering supplies for your unit.

When stuff like fans and walkie talkies break, they bring them to you and you fill out a paperwork on them and turn them in to get fixed somewhere, on Fort Sill it's the Military jail that fixes them. Then a few days later they call you and you go pick them up. The supply room has wall lockers with stuff in it like pencils, pens, notebooks, soap, computer parts, things you guys use a lot. Drill Sgts will come in and be like, "I need some soap for the Orderly room bathroom," you tell them Ok and have them sign the sheet that they took it. If you have to order something, it usually comes to a Post central ordering facility and not right to your unit, so you go pick that stuff up when it comes in. On Thursdays, we do linen exchange if you have an AIT unit, they bring down all their bed linen and you have to have them stack it in sets of 25, then when the people come around with the linen truck they trade your dirty ones for clean ones.

It's easy. It's what most Army guys do after they retire, they just come back to the same unit so they can still be around all their friends, yet they don't have to work too hard. You don't even have to lift things. They'll grab some "Joes" to do that for you
lol Where is Ft.Still?

Oh ok I did this EXACT, same job when I use to work for Atlanta Police.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Supply tech you don't really do +%+*. BTW, if anyone lives in or around Fort Sill I know a guy who has like 9 Supply jobs coming open. He wants to hire a dude bad, because they have nothing but females there right now and every time he gets a list he says it's all females.

Anyways, as a Supply Tech, you work in the Supply Room with the Supply Sergeant who is military and the Armorer, which is also a civilian and is the guy who maintains the guns and ammo. It's pretty much as simple as it sounds. You guys are in charge of maintaining and ordering supplies for your unit.

When stuff like fans and walkie talkies break, they bring them to you and you fill out a paperwork on them and turn them in to get fixed somewhere, on Fort Sill it's the Military jail that fixes them. Then a few days later they call you and you go pick them up. The supply room has wall lockers with stuff in it like pencils, pens, notebooks, soap, computer parts, things you guys use a lot. Drill Sgts will come in and be like, "I need some soap for the Orderly room bathroom," you tell them Ok and have them sign the sheet that they took it. If you have to order something, it usually comes to a Post central ordering facility and not right to your unit, so you go pick that stuff up when it comes in. On Thursdays, we do linen exchange if you have an AIT unit, they bring down all their bed linen and you have to have them stack it in sets of 25, then when the people come around with the linen truck they trade your dirty ones for clean ones.

It's easy. It's what most Army guys do after they retire, they just come back to the same unit so they can still be around all their friends, yet they don't have to work too hard. You don't even have to lift things. They'll grab some "Joes" to do that for you
lol Where is Ft.Still?

Oklahoma, but they have them everywhere. It's Summer Surge so they're especially going to be needing people. It's just a matter ofknowing somebody if the job isn't on Usajobs/Cpol, which they always aren't.

The most difficult thing I can think of that I ever did, was when I had to go by myself to pick up 1200$ worth of Gatorade, literally; all 32 oz bottles andpowder mix. The Army gets it at a bulk discount, so just imagine how much that is
eek.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

lol Where is Ft.Still?

Oklahoma, but they have them everywhere. It's Summer Surge so they're especially going to be needing people. It's just a matter of knowing somebody if the job isn't on Usajobs/Cpol, which they always aren't.

The most difficult thing I can think of that I ever did, was when I had to go by myself to pick up 1200$ worth of Gatorade, literally; all 32 oz bottles and powder mix. The Army gets it at a bulk discount, so just imagine how much that is
eek.gif
Yea I was on both sites, but don't really know how to search for these jobs.

i have a state government job.

interned, with the program i currently work for, the summer between my junior/senior year of undergrad...got the internship through people my parents knewthough...it's all about networking and who you know!

-waystinthyme

I'm 3 years away from putting 10 years in with the gov't. I can just taste the retirement benefits
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom