GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

^^ Same. I need to take the GMAT. Anyone I’m here recommend any study prep materials?
I would highly recommend checking out schools that accept the Executive Assessment ... It is a much more manageable test and there are plenty of good schools who accept it ...

I got a 162 in a week of studying ... That is 90th percentile for most good business schools ... No way in hell Id do that well on the GMAT ...

Which certifications?

Do you have an MBA?

No, I don’t. Jobs have offered to pay for it...but I personally don’t see the value.

Certs -> PMP, CISSP, IA/IT/Cyber Certs if that’s your discipline. Start your own business or 1099 yourself out. Cut out the middle man (companies/government) and do your own thing. The money is there. Six figures by 25 if you do it right. Probably sooner even.

No, I don’t. Jobs have offered to pay for it...but I personally don’t see the value.

Certs -> PMP, CISSP, IA/IT/Cyber Certs if that’s your discipline. Start your own business or 1099 yourself out. Cut out the middle man (companies/government) and do your own thing. The money is there. Six figures by 25 if you do it right. Probably sooner even.

if you want to do high finance, MBB, certain functions of high tech, LDPs (assuming you aren't doing that before the MBA)
if want to switch function, country, industry, or a combo

then the easiest and at times the only way is getting an MBA

also, don't underestimate the power of just being around smart, driven, & like-minded individuals for 1-3 years.

that being said, getting an MBA is not always the answer. depending on your situation, getting certifications might be the better choice.

feel free to PM if you have questions regarding getting an MBA.

if you want to do high finance, MBB, certain functions of high tech, LDPs (assuming you aren't doing that before the MBA)
if want to switch function, country, industry, or a combo

then the easiest and at times the only way is getting an MBA

also, don't underestimate the power of just being around smart, driven, & like-minded individuals for 1-3 years.

that being said, getting an MBA is not always the answer. depending on your situation, getting certifications might be the better choice.

feel free to PM if you have questions regarding getting an MBA.
Indeed, thanks. I’m never too stuck in my own ways and my girl is a program advisor at an Art School/University. We debated this topic often.

I just think also that entrepreneurship is a skill that one either has or they don’t. Business is always interesting though and with technology, it’s crucial to stay up on things.

Do any of you guys have experience with part-time or executive MBAs? I took the executive assessment and I plan on applying next cycle. I'm looking at Duke, Emory, UVA, Vandy, Texas among other schools. I have 100% of my GI Bill and I qualify for yellow ribbon so I plan on using those to help with paying for school.

What type of outcomes do people get from part-time or executive programs? Do people typically get raises or new opportunities afterwards? I know that part-time and executive programs are not meant for people switching careers, but is it possible to switch careers in an executive or part-time program?

Last edited:
i am finishing up my last 1.5 semesters of my undergrad, BS in Organizational Management at a small local university.

i hate school. Im burnt out. But i was already late getting my bachelors (just turned 28).

currently a front line operations supervisor at Dupont. Trying to continue working my way up there and feel like an MBA is the next step. just dont really know if i should do an online program at a bigger school or just do the program at my current school Which would be much quicker (1 yr) and cheaper

i am finishing up my last 1.5 semesters of my undergrad, BS in Organizational Management at a small local university.

i hate school. Im burnt out. But i was already late getting my bachelors (just turned 28).

currently a front line operations supervisor at Dupont. Trying to continue working my way up there and feel like an MBA is the next step. just dont really know if i should do an online program at a bigger school or just do the program at my current school Which would be much quicker (1 yr) and cheaper
Just do it at your current school , it’s hard to go back especially if you don’t like school lol

What type of outcomes do people get from part-time or executive programs? Do people typically get raises or new opportunities afterwards? I know that part-time and executive programs are not meant for people switching careers, but is it possible to switch careers in an executive or part-time program?
Outcomes are completely dependent on the individual. One fault of MBA programs (Fulltime or part time) is that they are not really transparent enough on how difficult it is to switch careers. That being said it is possible, and I know people who did part-time MBA that got better/more offers than full timers. Full timers in a lot of ways have it easier, they aren't working, a lot of the networking events are designed towards full timers and they also have more time to prepare for the highly competitive interviews (Corp strat, Management consulting IB etc...)

When switching (I eventually decided to stay in my industry) It's imperative to consider why should X industry take a chance on you? Have a story ready, there should be something more than

"I think energy is cool Exxon you hiring?"

Also, companies are rightfully weary of why you are leaving an industry, especially if it's culturally different from your previous industry. For instance, Finance to tech.......

Lastly, since you are former military you are really going to be a career switcher regardless of where you go. During my recruitment process every company I was applying for had some sort of military based/focused program with regards to talent acquisition. These are not just marketing ploys, these companies value military experience especially coupled with MBA.

Just my 2 cents.....

i don't think people realize how killa a combo it is for military + MBA (especially if it's at least a top 50). co-sign on being able to really sell your military experience & how you can leverage that to succeed in whichever area you want to pursue.

I got into the UVA Darden Executive MBA program. Still waiting on Duke but Darden was one of my top choices

Darden JPEG.jpg

Congrats. I wish I had the motivation for grad school. This is probably the best time to go but I’m burnt out with school right now. Currently 7 days from being done with undergrad.

atlsfinest atlsfinest welcome to the fam - why weekend Exec? Assume your current company is paying?
I'm a military vet and I have 100% of my GI Bill. UVA would be 100% free and Duke would have some out-of-pocket cost.

I considered doing a full-time MBA program before I separated from the Navy but I decided against it. I'm married and my wife and I have a kid on the way, we own a home and I own a rental property as well. At this stage in my life I just can't afford to not work for 2 years

I'm a military vet and I have 100% of my GI Bill. UVA would be 100% free and Duke would have some out-of-pocket cost.

I considered doing a full-time MBA program before I separated from the Navy but I decided against it. I'm married and my wife and I have a kid on the way, we own a home and I own a rental property as well. At this stage in my life I just can't afford to not work for 2 years

I would strongly recommend against doing a weekend program - you go to B school for the networking.

Do you have any clue what you want to do after? The internship between 1-2 will be massive for you, especially coming from the military.

I would strongly recommend against doing a weekend program - you go to B school for the networking.

Do you have any clue what you want to do after? The internship between 1-2 will be massive for you, especially coming from the military.

I work in financial services now and I'm not totally against staying in this field. If I did pivot, I'd like to move into tech if possible. I'm fully aware that executive and weekend programs make it much harder to pivot careers. In a perfect world, I probably would do a full-time program but I just can't swing it. I have too many financial obligations to forgo two years of income.

I work in financial services now and I'm not totally against staying in this field. If I did pivot, I'd like to move into tech if possible. I'm fully aware that executive and weekend programs make it much harder to pivot careers. In a perfect world, I probably would do a full-time program but I just can't swing it. I have too many financial obligations to forgo two years of income.

So why go - just to pivot? Both schools aren’t strong in tech - happy to help

Back
Top Bottom