Great gif that shows how small earth is compared to everything else in space

Thanks for that. I've been trying to explain to my oldest son the size of things in outer space. I'm sure this will help.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

MOSTHATED770 wrote:
just makes me think about how noone will ever go to those planets lol
I am no astronomer but as soon as I learned a bit about the dimensions of space, it struck me as crazy that in Star Wars and other Sci Fi films they move across a galaxy or between galaxies by traveling at light speed. All issue of time being dramatically different at light speed aside, light speed travel would only allow for multiyear voyages to nearby solar systems. It would let you move within a solar system very quickly but that is not intergalactic or even interstellar travel.

laugh.gif
i have no idea what you just said....

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

MOSTHATED770 wrote:
just makes me think about how noone will ever go to those planets lol
I am no astronomer but as soon as I learned a bit about the dimensions of space, it struck me as crazy that in Star Wars and other Sci Fi films they move across a galaxy or between galaxies by traveling at light speed. All issue of time being dramatically different at light speed aside, light speed travel would only allow for multiyear voyages to nearby solar systems. It would let you move within a solar system very quickly but that is not intergalactic or even interstellar travel.

As soon as I realized this as a kid, I gave up any aspirations I had of being an astronaut and went back to the baseball dream.

wow that was crazy to see. i didnt realize the sun was that big compared to earth. then find out about these other massive planets/stars.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

You guys need to understand that these are so far away, that they probably dont even exist any more.
We can see them...but only because it take 100 frickin trillion years to reach us haha
This is such a great point that it must be quoted.

Do people not realize how damn near impossible it is to ever travel in space? You are traveling blind once you leave this solar system if we even become thatadvanced. When you look at Andromeda (the next galaxy) it is like looking 250,000 years into the PAST. Do you understand what could have changed aboutAndromeda in 250,000 years? complete annihilation.

But this was all created by god just for humans
laugh.gif
It is believed thatthe universe is SO BIG that light doesnt travel fast enough for us to ever see all of it no matter how technologically advanced we become. WRAP your mindsaround that.

But even if life does exist somewhere in the universe, they might never be able to reach us or make any sort of contact with us simply because of how big theuniverse is.

Wow those stars are massive!! But most of em are ready to blow or are long gone! But still
eek.gif
eek.gif
A star being larger than the solar system!

We'll never space travel.

Originally Posted by arrjae

thts crazy
i believe tht there are more planets n all tht stuff,
What incredible insight we have here.
Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Damn, you guys really have me chasing rabbits (expression a history teacher of mine used to describe getting off track).

If my math is right, the average guy (5'10") is 4,741 times taller than a grain of sand. So, if VY Canis Majoris's earth would be 5.38 billion times larger than our own and the people on its earth were proportional in their size, we'd be smaller than sand to them. Would it be a stretch to state that we'd be the size of atoms or something like that?

confused02.gif
Damn.
eek.gif

That comment about us seeing 250,000 years into the past is crazy...the light that reaches us took that long totravel?

yea, I stumbledupon that the other day. pretty amazing. makes all of our daily worries seem even less than insignificant.
and as a scientist, it really reminds me how little we really know

Back
Top Bottom